The gang of how many?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: The gang of how many?

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:.......Annual GE's? Feasible? My feeling is, no. Thoughts?

Nope,wouldn't work,for the reasons you gave and many more besides.

I started to type my ideas of reform of parliament but stopped as it's a waste of time,we are ruled by idiots,liars and nest featherers who in the higher echelons have been bought by multinational business and criminals.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

Cunobelin wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Even Douglas Carswell the UKIP MP had the decency to put himself up for re election when he changed allegiance from the Tory's to UKIP. This shower could learn a bit about democracy from him.

Al

Ironically Anna Soubry is doing exactly what she said she would, so why should she stand for re-election because she has carried out her promises?

You've said that before, yet ignored the request to show where that's documented, as above her pre election newsletter to her constituents doesn't sit well with what you're claiming.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Equally, the Brexit situation is nowhere near what either main party predicted. So it is quite reasonable that some MPs find themselves in places they did not expect. Government it making it up on the hoof: nothing is as it seems. I see no reason for MPs who leave their original party to resign. On the basis that some are calling for it I would think just about all MPs should resign.
John
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi reohn2, Wow, If I had said something like that in a post you would have shot back _Where's Your Proof"?
But of course the noodles that have occupied the Westminster Gasworks for yonks have provided irrefutable evidence to support your contention :roll: . Will it ever change , me thinks not. MM
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

merseymouth wrote:Hi reohn2, Wow, If I had said something like that in a post you would have shot back _Where's Your Proof"?
But of course the noodles that have occupied the Westminster Gasworks for yonks have provided irrefutable evidence to support your contention :roll: . Will it ever change , me thinks not. MM

Yeah,my standards are slipping.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:You're free to interpret the facts whatever way you want, but there is no way of knowing how many voted for her and how many voted for the Tory candidate.
EDIT - rather than take my word for it, maybe you could consider what Anna Soubry said in her pre election newsletter to her constituents
Why it is so important to vote Conservative on Thursday

The General Election is not simply about which candidate you would prefer as your MP. Your choice on Thursday is also about who you want as your Prime Minister, Theresa May or Jeremy Corbyn.

SOURCE - http://www.staplefordcommunitygroup.org ... na-soubry/

Until she votes for Jeremy Corbyn, I don't think she's broken that pledge. The same newsletter does clearly state that she is in favour of a good deal and being in the single market - surely voting for May's bad deal taking us out of the single market would break more pledges?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

mjr wrote:
PH wrote:You're free to interpret the facts whatever way you want, but there is no way of knowing how many voted for her and how many voted for the Tory candidate.
EDIT - rather than take my word for it, maybe you could consider what Anna Soubry said in her pre election newsletter to her constituents
Why it is so important to vote Conservative on Thursday

The General Election is not simply about which candidate you would prefer as your MP. Your choice on Thursday is also about who you want as your Prime Minister, Theresa May or Jeremy Corbyn.

SOURCE - http://www.staplefordcommunitygroup.org ... na-soubry/

Until she votes for Jeremy Corbyn, I don't think she's broken that pledge. The same newsletter does clearly state that she is in favour of a good deal and being in the single market - surely voting for May's bad deal taking us out of the single market would break more pledges?

The claim made was
She clearly declaredBrexit her intention s on Brexit, the single market and a second vote

Can you find where she did that?
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:
mjr wrote:

The claim made was
She clearly declaredBrexit her intention s on Brexit, the single market and a second vote

Can you find where she did that?

The newsletter says "We are leaving the EU and must now get a good deal. I will continue to make the case for the positive benefits of immigration and the single market."

I don't see anything in there about another vote either way, but the claim's not mine and I'm not inclined to go searching right now.

However, the counter-claim you made was "her pre election newsletter to her constituents doesn't sit well with what you're claiming" which seems equally unsubstantiated to me. The newsletter looks pretty consistent with her subsequent actions so far.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PH

Post by PH »

So the answer was no, you can't find where she said that :roll:
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Soubry's promises couldn't reasonably have been expected to survive her party's alliance with the DUP. In the GE campaign, no one knew that the DUP would end up running government policy. Their presence has been the main obstacle in the way of a Parliamentary majority. Alas. the Tory manifesto was rather short of detail about backstops and alternative arrangements.

Given that Parliament is deadlocked with only a few weeks to go until we crash out, arguments about the manifesto promises of a backbencher seem rather futile.
mjr

Post by mjr »

PH wrote:So the answer was no, you can't find where she said that :roll:

No, the answer was that I didn't look, but two of the points were in the link you posted.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

As soon as Mrs May handed over power to the DUP the Conservative Party, in effect, embraced the DUP's manifesto and abandoned their own.

In my view that releases members from any obligations. It is the party which moved.
John
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Oldjohnw wrote:As soon as Mrs May handed over power to the DUP the Conservative Party, in effect, embraced the DUP's manifesto and abandoned their own.

In my view that releases members from any obligations. It is the party which moved.

It is this kind of attitude which makes me despair about the future of British politics. I would like to see PR but once we got it that sort of horse bargaining would happen, manifestos would be compromised.

In our largely two party system any sort of bipartisanship is seen as a betrayal and that
the party has betrayed its members. I still don't understand why Lib Dem voters deserted the party over tuition fees - they were part of a greater government and couldn't keep all of their own manifesto. I bet the 2010 Lib Dem voter wishes he/she had voted that way again in 2015 now.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:As soon as Mrs May handed over power to the DUP the Conservative Party, in effect, embraced the DUP's manifesto and abandoned their own.

It is this kind of attitude which makes me despair about the future of British politics. I would like to see PR but once we got it that sort of horse bargaining would happen, manifestos would be compromised.

In our largely two party system any sort of bipartisanship is seen as a betrayal and that
the party has betrayed its members. I still don't understand why Lib Dem voters deserted the party over tuition fees - they were part of a greater government and couldn't keep all of their own manifesto. I bet the 2010 Lib Dem voter wishes he/she had voted that way again in 2015 now.

IT wasn't horse trading much less coalition with the DUP. I like coalition which, as you say, involves compromise. I voted for the LibDems. But the DUP do not compromise. It was inflexible demands.
John
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Oldjohnw wrote:IT wasn't horse trading much less coalition with the DUP. I like coalition which, as you say, involves compromise. I voted for the LibDems. But the DUP do not compromise. It was inflexible demands.

Yebbut, nobbut. The other nationalist parties (SNP, Plaid) of course criticised the way the DUP secured money for NI. Firm in the knowledge of course that if they held the balance if power they'd do exactly the same thing for Scotland or Wales.