Transgender athletes (and related stuff)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Transgender athletes (and related stuff)

Postby mercalia » 31 Jul 2020, 3:41pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:They *should* be described in another way. Why aren’t they pair 23?

No other chromosome has a name related to such a minor part of its function, and the naming is actively unhelpful.

have you any idea what the other 96% do? would be interesting to know. I would hardly describe the 4% minor if thats all thats needed to do the job?

Vorpal

Re: Transgender athletes (and related stuff)

Postby Vorpal » 1 Aug 2020, 10:10am

mercalia wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:They *should* be described in another way. Why aren’t they pair 23?

No other chromosome has a name related to such a minor part of its function, and the naming is actively unhelpful.

have you any idea what the other 96% do? would be interesting to know. I would hardly describe the 4% minor if thats all thats needed to do the job?

It's not, though. While defining sexual characteristics typically come from those genes mainly associated with sex, others (or their lack) might not influence it at all, depsite being associated with sex or sexual development in some way.

I think the WHO have a pretty good explanation on their website, and also identify the aspects of gender that are associated with culture, rather than science. https://www.who.int/genomics/gender/en/index1.html
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom