He just passed me saying nothing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Patrickpioneer

He just passed me saying nothing

Post by Patrickpioneer »

This is my first sort of rant! I was out not long ago, dropped to bottom gear, chain jams in spokes, so bike on its side while I unjam it, fellow cyclist comes down hill and didn't even say hello! never mind are you ok, do you need a hand. I find things like this a terrible reflection on all walks off life in our 'advanced' society.
I hope his knees go rusty
Pat
BTW i am starting to think that perhaps spoke protectors are cool after all?
Cyril Haearn

Re: He just passed me saying nothing

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thought of upgrading to fixed? :wink:
I have stopped to help occasionally but you know, many people are told not to talk to Strangers :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Spoke protection disc this might seem a bit sissy.
But it will stop the chain dropping between the big cog and the spokes, If the gap is correct.

If I passed someone who looks like they're in trouble I normally shout at them are you okay.

i'm a big sissy :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Thought of upgrading to fixed? :wink:
I have stopped to help occasionally but you know, many people are told not to talk to Strangers :?

I'm not strange! peculiar yes, but strange no
Attachments
dragon.jpg
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Dragons led by Poodles, we are!

Cymru am byth!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

If I passed someone who looks like they're in trouble I normally shout at them are you okay.

i'm a big sissy :mrgreen:

your not a sissy, you are a true sportsman, so there look you
Pat
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Patrickpioneer wrote:This is my first sort of rant! I was out not long ago, dropped to bottom gear, chain jams in spokes, so bike on its side while I unjam it, fellow cyclist comes down hill and didn't even say hello! never mind are you ok, do you need a hand. I find things like this a terrible reflection on all walks off life in our 'advanced' society.
I hope his knees go rusty
Pat
BTW i am starting to think that perhaps spoke protectors are cool after all?

The "down hill" might be the key, easy to be concentrating on the road when at speed and be past you before realising?

A couple of years ago I rescued a lady a few yards from my house in identical circumstances. Also realised a fastening bolt was missing from her rack whilst fettling the chain so took her back to mine and fitted her one from my spares jumble.

She was profusely grateful and returned the next day with a box of chocs!

Most people are lovely, and when they're not it's often a misunderstanding rather than malice.
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

roubaixtuesday wrote:[quote="
Most people are lovely, and when they're not it's often a misunderstanding rather than malice.

I expect your right but I just feel like a bit of banter really :D
and your a sportsman too
Pat
PH

Post by PH »

I don't feel I have an obligation to help others with their mechanical issues, I sometimes will and other times I have my own timetable that I'd rather not deviate from. It's different if someone was in physical difficulty, but I'm going to assume any cyclist is competent enough to deal with their own mechanicals or able to find an alternative way home. I don't feel this any reflection on our society, being a cyclist doesn't bond me to all other cyclists, am I to stop and help everyone who looks like they might benefit from it?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I have an easy answer to the chain-behind-cassette problem. Almost all hubs are freehubs, and almost all cassettes are 9/10/11 speed nowadays. Having no inclination whatsoever, at my time of life, to ever again tackle the Beacon, the Wall, or what-have-you, I don't use even half of those speeds.
So I've set the end stop on my rear mech so that I can't even reach the 'granny'. Sorted!

Fixie? No thanks! Singlespeed? Not quite, but I'm thinking hub gears if I ever go n+1...

As to the 'unfriendly fellow cyclist' issue - I'm afraid this is something we've now just got to live with. That's today's 'society' for you... :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

I always stop for fellow cyclists. Unless of course I am on a Strava segment, in which case they can EAT MY DUST!
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

A quick glance, you can usually see if you will be able to help.... so stopping and saying... "I can't help" is hardly sensible or productive
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I stopped to help a young laydeee last week who’d managed to put a slice in the side wall of her tyre. I always carry a spare ( cheapo ) folding tyre, when I’m out on a longer ride. I gave it to her ( it came with a wheel set I bought last year, so I wasn’t really bothered about it) she was most grateful.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I thought the chain hopping off the last sprocket and into the spokes was a thing of the past. It hasn't happened to me in a decade or more.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

maybe he/she assumed you could cope?