Non-cycling books

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Re: Non-cycling books

Post by reohn2 »

Just reading The Leeds And Liverpool Canal by Mike Clarke,a facinating read about how the waterway was built,the barges and why it was and still is so important.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

There will come a period in which a small number of belief systems once more come to dominate.
An unsafe assumption. I'm surprised that you make it. Please see the following (non-cycling) books that put foward the case that our days our numbered - and that number is small.
The Future We Chose
The Revenge Of Gaia
The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming
This Is Not A Drill
However, these books don't make particularly pleasant reading, so if you want to enjoy yourself, give 'em a swerve & dwell instead on happy things. I myself like reading about the adventures of Asterix and his chums, in French, naturellement! but they don't fit on my Kindle :-(
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:Just reading The Leeds And Liverpool Canal by Mike Clarke,a facinating read about how the waterway was built,the barges and why it was and still is so important.

I thought the canals lost importance when railways were built
Why is it still so important?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Just reading The Leeds And Liverpool Canal by Mike Clarke,a facinating read about how the waterway was built,the barges and why it was and still is so important.

I thought the canals lost importance when railways were built
Why is it still so important?

Wild life nownthe canals have cleaned up and are no longer the smelly polluted cesspits they were.
Pleasure cruising and a growning number of live-aboad boats too,people seeking an alternative lifestyle.Boat range from apparent wrecks to beautifully built amazing Dutcheque widebeam barges and all shades between.
I would be very tempted should Mrs R2 be as enthusiastic.

I've lived within a mile or two of the L&L all my life and have seen gradually clean up incredibly in the past 40 years.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

If you can't find a whole bundle of great reads here, there is no hope for you...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Reohn2, Should seek out Mike Clarke's book about restoring Juno, his elderly narrow boat?
Have known Mike for over 55 years, lived not too far away and he was into the vintage car scene. Cycled as well, but he won't want reminding of the time he hit the gravel up close and personal! Very serious gravel rash on both arms & hands, ouch.
I think that his pop was Director of Education in Liverpool. TTFN MM
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

I'm about halfway through :

What it means to be HUMAN

By Joanna Bourke.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/ ... man-review

Highly recommended.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Patrickpioneer wrote:zen and art of motorcycle maintenance
I am two thirds through this book, sometimes I think its inspirational and then after reading some more I think its a total load of small round objects and lacks quality :D
Patrick
I don't know anyone in the whole world who has ever finished that book - apparently, not even the author claims to have done so...
S
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I remember reading Isaac Asimov's Foundation trilogy (or rather, I don't remember... but that's more to do with my age, I guess) and I understand that a film version is about to be released - it did occur to me to have another go at reading it, as it's supposed to be a classic of the SF genre.
Another tip is for goodness sake steer clear of anything Ayn Rand wrote - unless you want to be bored witless!
S
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

I'm not a climber but this account of the author's climbing exploits in the 1930s is a great read: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Always-Little- ... B012TEN9ZM

I'm also not a runner, but this is fascinating: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Born-Run-Hidde ... 1861978774

And this one is just plain hilarious whilst being a great insight into a lost way of life: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Story-San-Mich ... B07MN3FLXL
CyclingGuy

Post by CyclingGuy »

I've just finished this one - it's a good read in the Dick Francis vein. - https://amzn.to/3iqrlZL
Read about my adventures on the British Cycle Quest at: http://www.quest.nwarwick.co.uk
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

if you still have a Facebook ( or Pokémon Go...) etc account after reading this more fool you
I don't... I deleted my account (as in deleted, rather than suspended) my account about a year ago, after figuring that I either knew what they do with our data and simply don't mind, or else, got on and did something about it. it's a measure of how invideous this sort of thing has become, that not having an Facebook account is actually a minor inconvenience for me - a lot of the Bristol-based bands / brewaries / cafes that I follow (or not, as the case may be!) use Facebook as a matter-of-course, however...
Without wishing to steal Zuboffs' thunder, you can sum up the gist of her book readily, thus:
If the app you use is FREE, it's because you are the product...
S
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Twilight of Democracy: The Failure of Politics and the Parting of Friends

I hope my local library get this book in as an ebook so I can borrow it. It is a summary of the sorry state of affairs in Poland, the UK and the USA

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jul/12/anne-applebaum-how-my-old-friends-paved-the-way-for-trump-and-brexit?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just got a book of short stories by Franz Kafka, could they be challenging, disturbing?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Re-reading books that one read years ago :wink: