Gravesend cyclist fined

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
hondated

Gravesend cyclist fined

Post by hondated »

thirdcrank

Re: Gravesend cyclist fined

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm getting déjà vu all over again. This sounds like the same case :?

viewtopic.php?p=1334898#p1334898
pwa

Post by pwa »

The fine seems way over the top. It is a minor matter and should have been dealt with as such.

I do know pedestrianised streets that get too busy for cycling to be done safely, and if this street is one of those (I don't know it) I don't object to a ban. I am a pedestrian too.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

£100 for speeding in a car,£440 riding a bike where you shouldn't, make your own mind up :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hello all, The sign says it all! Guilty as charged.
The main streets in Liverpool have a one way system for motor traffic, but some of them show permission for pedal cyclists to go in both directions.
However that is only before 10 am and after 4 pm, outside those times they must all comply with the prohibition!
Sadly both rules are ignored by both groups of traffic users, made worse by the police being as useful as a chocolate teapot! Indeed even if a police officer or a support worker gets nudged out of the way they do sweet FA about it!
Outside of the permitted hours I walk my tricycle if I have to be there, because as someone as already stated I like him am a pedestrian as well, as are we all! IGICB MM
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

merseymouth wrote:Hello all, The sign says it all! Guilty as charged.
The main streets in Liverpool have a one way system for motor traffic, but some of them show permission for pedal cyclists to go in both directions.
However that is only before 10 am and after 4 pm, outside those times they must all comply with the prohibition!
Sadly both rules are ignored by both groups of traffic users, made worse by the police being as useful as a chocolate teapot! Indeed even if a police officer or a support worker gets nudged out of the way they do sweet FA about it!
Outside of the permitted hours I walk my tricycle if I have to be there, because as someone as already stated I like him am a pedestrian as well, as are we all! IGICB MM

I've no problem with a fine,but £20 is a realistic one for such a minor infringement,£440 is nothing short of robbery.
W H Auden
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi there, I didn't actually see what the fine was, it was just the actual offence that I was commenting on.
I fully agree that a fine of over £400 is absurd! They get less than that for killing someone with a car :shock: MM
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

reohn2 wrote:£100 for speeding in a car,£440 riding a bike where you shouldn't, make your own mind up :?

I'm afraid the £440 was self inflicted.

The report said he was issued a fixed penalty which he ignored, ignored letters and didn't attend court.
I'd have fined him more. ;)

Reminds me of the scandal of the guy that got fined £600 (or thereabouts) for throwing an apple core out of a car.
Same deal. Could have just paid the £60 littering penalty but decided to ignore it and when it went to court and the big fine came out whined about he'd been hard done by.
Vitara

Post by Vitara »

pwa wrote:The fine seems way over the top. It is a minor matter and should have been dealt with as such.

I do know pedestrianised streets that get too busy for cycling to be done safely, and if this street is one of those (I don't know it) I don't object to a ban. I am a pedestrian too.

I agree with Kwackers, it was dealt with appropriately with a fixed penalty notice, presumanly less than £50

It fine only escalated because of failure to pay followed by failure to turn up in court
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

would you have stayed there and given your details? not as if he could take your number plate? do they have powers of arrest viz man handle you?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Vitara,Kwackers,MM.
Apologies didn't read that far down the link,as you were :oops: .
W H Auden
drossall

Post by drossall »

Wasn't there a point though that PSPOs are specifically not supposed to be used to create No Cycling areas by the back door? Agree that this does not justify ignoring the fine, but there's an element of ultra vires?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

drossall wrote:Wasn't there a point though that PSPOs are specifically not supposed to be used to create No Cycling areas by the back door? Agree that this does not justify ignoring the fine, but there's an element of ultra vires?

IIRC, mjr (?) made this point or something similar in the thread about the cyclist getting a ticket in Bedford. IMO the only way to tackle this apparent trend to treat cyclists generally as delinquents is court action.
viewtopic.php?p=1326844#p1326844

People fulminating on here may feel a bit better but achieve nothing else.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

A motorist near near me received a fine of over £1200 which he claimed was for parking. People never read the article, just the headline, and were outraged.

The reality was that he had persistently parked in a restricted area and refused to pay the charges. He then refused to respond to the fines and eventually, received a court summons which he ignored. The £1200, which included costs, was the eventual quite predictible and, imv, correct outcome.
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Near the top of this thread I linked to gaz's earlier post about the same incident, which quoted a council spokesman emphasising that this was the result of ignoring the enforcement action.