New coal mine near Whitehaven

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa

Re: New coal mine near Whitehaven

Post by pwa »

I suppose the nearest customer for coking coal would be the steel works at Port Talbot. They have a battery of coke ovens, which were active a couple of days ago when I was walking in the hills a few miles away. I could smell it in the breeze a few times. It was like being close to a steam engine. I don't have the figures, but I believe the steel works accounts for a surprisingly large proportion of energy demand in Wales.

I guess the fact is, if we want steel we have to put up with some mess. We could always export the jobs and the mess, but if the mess were in China it would probably be messier. And out of sight.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Patrickpioneer wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Treacle is mined underground near Sabden :wink:

I was waiting to see if you told me what poem I was quoting from, I did look it up after on the web and cant find it, so you have a real mystery to solve Bryn bach
Patrick

We are the treacle people, we seek treacle high and low; we are the treacle people we all live in Giggle Row; WILLY WISWELL saved the day; Treacle Tracker found our way; for as we seek the treacle far below - down the mines we go. We are the treacle people, we seek treacle high and low.

Quoted here
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

fausto copy wrote:I trust that any new miners would have modern breathing apparatus to prevent all the nasty diseases that riddled the old ones. :?

Then they get new diseases in a few decades, that nobody knows about yet, -1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I read in the Daily Star that over the Bank Holiday weekend the UK went 100 hours without needing to burn coal to generate electricity, and such events are becoming g more commonplace.

So, digging more coal out of the ground when we need less of it, -1.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I read in the Daily Star that over the Bank Holiday weekend the UK went 100 hours without needing to burn coal to generate electricity, and such events are becoming g more commonplace.

I heard the same story on BBC R4. Except they said it was for the longest time since the industrial revolution.

Until then I was not aware that we had electricity generation in the Industrial revolution.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 8 May 2019, 8:19am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I read in the Daily Star that over the Bank Holiday weekend the UK went 100 hours without needing to burn coal to generate electricity, and such events are becoming g more commonplace.

Still heavily dependent on fossil fuels though :(
National Gridlock
National Gridlock
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I got into a considerable correspondence discussion with an energy minister about 20 years ago who was telling us all we needed to switch suppliers to reduce energy costs.

He simply did not get it that we need to reduce energy use as well as or more than costs. Merely reducing costs simply maintained or even increased use. They still don't get it.
John
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Does The Daily Star have text? I thought it was all pickshers, including 50% risque ones. :-)

We do still burn lots of the gas for lecky, though but. Does this mean fracking is OK and we can stop frowning at that pampered cycling team? Personally I feel otherwise, as it was bad enough when coal mining caused one's hoose to subside. It would be tedious if all the water tasted of nasty as well!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:I got into a considerable correspondence discussion with an energy minister about 20 years ago who was telling us all we needed to switch suppliers to reduce energy costs.

He simply did not get it that we need to reduce energy use as well as or more than costs.Merely reducing costs simply maintained or even increased use. They still don't get it.

Time is overdue for a drive to reduce energy,with an allotted energy per person over which the cost rises exponentially for the wasters of energy.
A man can dream.....
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cugel wrote:
Does The Daily Star have text? I thought it was all pickshers, including 50% risque ones. :-)

Cugel

I'm sure we'll all defer to your forensic examination of such matters :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
fausto copy wrote:I trust that any new miners would have modern breathing apparatus to prevent all the nasty diseases that riddled the old ones. :?

Then they get new diseases in a few decades, that nobody knows about yet, -1

Coal mining diseases are very well known about and result from coal or stonedust with a high silica content and machinery related problems such as hearing and vibration related problems.
Modern mining practices overseen by good H&S at work checks as the laws are already in place,should be as safe a place to work as any.
W H Auden
RickH

Post by RickH »

My understanding is that the new mine is to produce "coking coal" which is still used/needed for the production of steel (& I've no knowledge of whether there are alternatives) rather than for power generation.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

On the use of coke for iron and steelmaking.

The IPCC is the go-to place for reliable information on climate change.

Here's their chapter on industrial emissions and options for their reduction.

https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uploads ... pter10.pdf

Currently about 20% of all industrial emissions are from metals production, which is dominated by steelmaking (1990 baseline, you can see the trends here too).

Options for how to reduce this are laid out in section 10.4.1
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

reohn2 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I got into a considerable correspondence discussion with an energy minister about 20 years ago who was telling us all we needed to switch suppliers to reduce energy costs.

He simply did not get it that we need to reduce energy use as well as or more than costs.Merely reducing costs simply maintained or even increased use. They still don't get it.

Time is overdue for a drive to reduce energy,with an allotted energy per person over which the cost rises exponentially for the wasters of energy.
A man can dream.....

My take is that is why "smart meters" are being pushed. Certainly won't save you money but will allow suppliers to charge you more for use at certain times of the day etc.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

cycleruk wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

A man can dream.....

My take is that is why "smart meters" are being pushed. Certainly won't save you money but will allow suppliers to charge you more for use at certain times of the day etc.

Quite possibly.
W H Auden