Dandelions, thistles and moss

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pwa

Re: Dandelions, thistles and moss

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote:
philvantwo wrote:Mick F's grass is on a 45 degree slope so I don't think drainage is the issue?
Oh, did your mower start first time Mr Mick F? :lol: :lol:
Drainage is definitely not an issue, and there are no springs nearby at all.
The valley is damp because it's a valley in Cornwall and we live on an eastern-facing steep slope.

Start first time?
Well, yes I suppose.

It's a four stroke and no button to press to prime the carb, so it needed a few pulls of the cord to get it running. Maybe half a dozen, but once it fired up, it was fine. Last used 15th October 2018.
(I keep a diary, so I know)

There's a scrubby little-used field near us, and seeds come over to us. It's a loosing battle I suppose including bracken and brambles, let alone the dandelions and thistles.

Moss is a local thing and it's absolutely everywhere.

There must be some moisture lingering for the moss to thrive. That is what it likes. But the lateral thinking way of dealing with it might just be to embrace it, learn to like it. Augment it with ferns or something like that. If you really want moss-free lawns and your location doesn't favour that, you have your work cut out.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Get a bear, apparently the bears go mad for the prolific roadside Dandelions in Canada :lol:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bear+da ... 53PDRja7QM:
We used to use lawn sand but these days its Feed and Weed. Applied a few days before it rains and it burns the flat leaves and destroys the weeds leaving the grass fed. Once a year is OK.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

Did the first cut of the year on the allotment paths the other day using the battery-electric strimmer.

Deliberately didn't strim the daisies or young dandilions so that Mrs Bumble will have sommat to eat when she wakes up. My Borage is starting to flower already too- I grow it primarily to feed the bees.

If I feed Mrs Bumble and her offspring, they do me the favour of pollinating my tomatoes.

And like others say, dandilions are edible salad leaves and good for you!

TPO
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

pwa wrote:There must be some moisture lingering for the moss to thrive. That is what it likes.
As I said, it's everywhere here in the valley.

I know I can't get rid of it permanently. Temporary, yes, but permanent no. It's on walls, trees, drives, roads, and even the car if it's not cleaned thoroughly enough.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote:
pwa wrote:There must be some moisture lingering for the moss to thrive. That is what it likes.
As I said, it's everywhere here in the valley.

I know I can't get rid of it permanently. Temporary, yes, but permanent no. It's on walls, trees, drives, roads, and even the car if it's not cleaned thoroughly enough.

Maybe even you if you stood still long enough. :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
Very true indeed.
Mick F. Cornwall