Sir Gary Verity quits.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
geocycle

Re: Sir Gary Verity quits.

Post by geocycle »

thirdcrank wrote:Hardly a scientific survey, but in recent weeks I've sought the views of two people with businesses on the route of the TdeY about the benefits or otherwise of this event. One was the landlord of a dining pub - himself a keen cyclist - and the other the owner of a thriving butcher's shop. Neither saw any benefit for their business in particular or tourism more generally. The pub lost trade in that the typical turnover from diners which was lost was greater than the spending of the spectators who used the pub as a viewing point, and the cost to the butcher of opening on Sunday exceeded the sales - they do excellent pies.

I fancy a lot will depend on the Worlds later this year but I don't like the sound of my very limited feedback.

============================================================

PS Is Gladys rhyming slang like Desmond? (Excuse my ignorance :oops: )

Must be hard to measure the impact. The weather wasn’t great but seemed to be a reasonable crowd. The novelty is clearly waning even though it is still better supported than most. I agree the worlds will be a test. General public is unaware of their status so serious marketing needed.