tea & coffee revisited

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia
Posts: 13679
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: tea & coffee revisited

Postby mercalia » 6 Jun 2020, 2:09pm

There seems to be lots of different beans. Do they really taste that different?

mercalia
Posts: 13679
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: tea & coffee revisited

Postby mercalia » 6 Jun 2020, 2:12pm

Paulatic wrote:
mercalia wrote:so whats the issue with the degree of grind - coarse or fine? why should I bother? matter of extracting the most flavour? strength of brew?

well it seems the Lidl grinder works well and 20grms of beans ( 2 large beakers of final brew) the grind seems fine.

You can’t get the evenness of grind with the blade grinder especially noticeable in a coarse ground as there is always some too fine. You still haven’t said how you are brewing which is relevant to how you grind.
I use a vintage manual burr grinder bought off EBay, for £20 , 20 yrs ago. Still going strong and will see me out. I’ve got it set for a perfect Moka pot setting and find that is also suitable for Aeropress.


I am using one of these
https://www.melitta.co.uk/products/gift-ideas/exclusive-to-melitta/look-selection/

from what others have said this is a gravity fed filter system drip drip drip...from a boiler

so regards grinding?
Last edited by mercalia on 6 Jun 2020, 2:17pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 8107
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: tea & coffee revisited

Postby Bonefishblues » 6 Jun 2020, 2:14pm

mercalia wrote:There seems to be lots of different beans. Do they really taste that different?

Yep, depending on how you like your coffee - if you want to make a long latte-style, don't waste your money, for instance, but they do have very distinct and individual flavours - if properly roasted, that is.

carpetcleaner
Posts: 920
Joined: 14 Nov 2019, 1:25pm

Re: tea & coffee revisited

Postby carpetcleaner » 6 Jun 2020, 2:14pm

I don't mind coffee if I'm offered some but my preferred drink is tea.

English breakfast, no milk, no sugar.

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 18278
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: tea & coffee revisited

Postby Vorpal » 6 Jun 2020, 2:19pm

I quite like both, and various herbal infusions, too. Weird, I know :mrgreen:

I generally have a couple of cups of coffee first thing in the morning & at cake stops on bike rides, but otherwise drink tea. If I take with a flask in a pannier, it's usually tea.

I like a wide variety of teas. If I go to tea rooms that have several varieties, or a selection of loose teas, I usually try something I haven't had before. At home I drink PG Tips with milk, but no sugar.

In the evening, I often have a herbal infusion. My current favourite is licorice and peppermint.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

User avatar
Cunobelin
Posts: 10745
Joined: 6 Feb 2007, 7:22pm

Re: tea & coffee revisited

Postby Cunobelin » 6 Jun 2020, 3:28pm

"Tea and coffee are warm drinks and unsuitable for slaking the thirst of a working man"


John Bickerdyke The Curiosities of Ale and Beer

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 3405
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: tea & coffee revisited

Postby Cugel » 6 Jun 2020, 3:55pm

mercalia wrote:There seems to be lots of different beans. Do they really taste that different?


They certainly do! Mind, we are talking proper beans from proper coffee bean shops, not that queer stuff from the Costalots and such.

Ours comes from Atkinson's coffee shop in Lancaster, where we used to live. They have a mail order service. The original was a C19th (1837) shop and was run by the same family until not so long ago.

https://thecoffeehopper.com/shop/

The new proprietor is a fine entrepreneur of the old-fashioned kind (keen to do a proper job and give a good service, not just make money). He telt me that one of the reasons he bought to place was as an excuse to tour the world looking directly at coffee growing farms and buying direct from the growers. All sorts of exotic stuff results.

The roasting has also been improved, so the beans he sells are even better than their already extremely good quality when sold by Atkinson's of old.

SHould you interested, try Shalaitu or Red Bourbon Honey for two very different tastes. I find a simple fine grind with hot (not boiling) water over it via a brown paper filter gives the easist and easiest-to-vary strength and taste.

Cugel

mercalia
Posts: 13679
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: tea & coffee revisited

Postby mercalia » 6 Jun 2020, 4:04pm

Cugel wrote:
mercalia wrote:There seems to be lots of different beans. Do they really taste that different?


They certainly do! Mind, we are talking proper beans from proper coffee bean shops, not that queer stuff from the Costalots and such.

Ours comes from Atkinson's coffee shop in Lancaster, where we used to live. They have a mail order service. The original was a C19th (1837) shop and was run by the same family until not so long ago.

https://thecoffeehopper.com/shop/

The new proprietor is a fine entrepreneur of the old-fashioned kind (keen to do a proper job and give a good service, not just make money). He telt me that one of the reasons he bought to place was as an excuse to tour the world looking directly at coffee growing farms and buying direct from the growers. All sorts of exotic stuff results.

The roasting has also been improved, so the beans he sells are even better than their already extremely good quality when sold by Atkinson's of old.

SHould you interested, try Shalaitu or Red Bourbon Honey for two very different tastes. I find a simple fine grind with hot (not boiling) water over it via a brown paper filter gives the easist and easiest-to-vary strength and taste.

Cugel


Thats another thing I notice some filter papers are white while the ones from my percolator are a coarse brown! so that makes a difference? I am gobsmacked

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 3405
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: tea & coffee revisited

Postby Cugel » 6 Jun 2020, 4:07pm

mercalia wrote:
Cugel wrote:
mercalia wrote:There seems to be lots of different beans. Do they really taste that different?


They certainly do! Mind, we are talking proper beans from proper coffee bean shops, not that queer stuff from the Costalots and such.

Ours comes from Atkinson's coffee shop in Lancaster, where we used to live. They have a mail order service. The original was a C19th (1837) shop and was run by the same family until not so long ago.

https://thecoffeehopper.com/shop/

The new proprietor is a fine entrepreneur of the old-fashioned kind (keen to do a proper job and give a good service, not just make money). He telt me that one of the reasons he bought to place was as an excuse to tour the world looking directly at coffee growing farms and buying direct from the growers. All sorts of exotic stuff results.

The roasting has also been improved, so the beans he sells are even better than their already extremely good quality when sold by Atkinson's of old.

SHould you interested, try Shalaitu or Red Bourbon Honey for two very different tastes. I find a simple fine grind with hot (not boiling) water over it via a brown paper filter gives the easist and easiest-to-vary strength and taste.

Cugel


Thats another thing I notice some filter papers are white while the ones from my percolator are a coarse brown! so that makes a difference?


I read that the brown ones contain something that filters out two unpleasant compounds sometimes found in coffee, that might be implicated in cancer-gettin'. Of course, this may be made-up-stuff by the floggers of the brown ones, to outdo the floggers of the white ones.

If the white ones only are available, I notice no difference in taste.

Cugel

Bonefishblues
Posts: 8107
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: tea & coffee revisited

Postby Bonefishblues » 6 Jun 2020, 4:08pm

mercalia wrote:
Cugel wrote:
mercalia wrote:There seems to be lots of different beans. Do they really taste that different?


They certainly do! Mind, we are talking proper beans from proper coffee bean shops, not that queer stuff from the Costalots and such.

Ours comes from Atkinson's coffee shop in Lancaster, where we used to live. They have a mail order service. The original was a C19th (1837) shop and was run by the same family until not so long ago.

https://thecoffeehopper.com/shop/

The new proprietor is a fine entrepreneur of the old-fashioned kind (keen to do a proper job and give a good service, not just make money). He telt me that one of the reasons he bought to place was as an excuse to tour the world looking directly at coffee growing farms and buying direct from the growers. All sorts of exotic stuff results.

The roasting has also been improved, so the beans he sells are even better than their already extremely good quality when sold by Atkinson's of old.

SHould you interested, try Shalaitu or Red Bourbon Honey for two very different tastes. I find a simple fine grind with hot (not boiling) water over it via a brown paper filter gives the easist and easiest-to-vary strength and taste.

Cugel


Thats another thing I notice some filter papers are white while the ones from my percolator are a coarse brown! so that makes a difference? I am gobsmacked

There is a point, like any other obsession, where things do turn a bit w**nky, tbh :lol:

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 5153
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: tea & coffee revisited

Postby Paulatic » 6 Jun 2020, 5:56pm

mercalia wrote:[

I am using one of these
https://www.melitta.co.uk/products/gift-ideas/exclusive-to-melitta/look-selection/

from what others have said this is a gravity fed filter system drip drip drip...from a boiler

so regards grinding?


Yes drip filter so usually a coarse grind a little less coarse than than a cafetière needs. The beauty of the filter is you won’t get the fine grounds, you’ll inevitably get with your blade, in your cup but if there’s a lot you’ll get over extraction.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

mercalia
Posts: 13679
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: tea & coffee revisited

Postby mercalia » 7 Jun 2020, 1:44pm

well I am quite pleased with the Lidl bean grinder. 15 grms @ 25 seconds of Lidl Italian blend beans = 2 large cups, tastes not bad. so a well spent £10. Am I right in thinking the finer the ground the stronger the flavour? How best to store the beans? in an air tight bag in the fridge?

Bonefishblues
Posts: 8107
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: tea & coffee revisited

Postby Bonefishblues » 7 Jun 2020, 1:48pm

mercalia wrote:well I am quite pleased with the Lidl bean grinder. 15 grms = 2 large cups@ 25 seconds of Lidl Italian blend beans tastes not bad. so a well spent £10. Am I right in thinking the finer the ground the stronger the flavour?

No, it's not as simple as that. The linky I posted yesterday will explain, but in essence there's an optimum grind for any given method/time of extraction. Finer and/or longer and things get bitter & acrid, for example.

mercalia
Posts: 13679
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: tea & coffee revisited

Postby mercalia » 7 Jun 2020, 2:25pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
mercalia wrote:well I am quite pleased with the Lidl bean grinder. 15 grms = 2 large cups@ 25 seconds of Lidl Italian blend beans tastes not bad. so a well spent £10. Am I right in thinking the finer the ground the stronger the flavour?

No, it's not as simple as that. The linky I posted yesterday will explain, but in essence there's an optimum grind for any given method/time of extraction. Finer and/or longer and things get bitter & acrid, for example.


no wonder people drink tea...
seems like the burr grinders are very expensive, even the manual ones.

Bonefishblues
Posts: 8107
Joined: 7 Jul 2014, 9:45pm
Location: Near Bicester Oxon

Re: tea & coffee revisited

Postby Bonefishblues » 7 Jun 2020, 3:08pm

mercalia wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
mercalia wrote:well I am quite pleased with the Lidl bean grinder. 15 grms = 2 large cups@ 25 seconds of Lidl Italian blend beans tastes not bad. so a well spent £10. Am I right in thinking the finer the ground the stronger the flavour?

No, it's not as simple as that. The linky I posted yesterday will explain, but in essence there's an optimum grind for any given method/time of extraction. Finer and/or longer and things get bitter & acrid, for example.


no wonder people drink tea...
seems like the burr grinders are very expensive, even the manual ones.

I linked one for only 3 or 4 quid more than you paid for the Lidl one?