tea & coffee revisited

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: tea & coffee revisited

Postby mercalia » 7 Jun 2020, 3:27pm

Bonefishblues wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:No, it's not as simple as that. The linky I posted yesterday will explain, but in essence there's an optimum grind for any given method/time of extraction. Finer and/or longer and things get bitter & acrid, for example.

no wonder people drink tea...
seems like the burr grinders are very expensive, even the manual ones.

I linked one for only 3 or 4 quid more than you paid for the Lidl one?

ah the cooko one. might be worth a punt to do a comparison

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 7 Jun 2020, 3:34pm

Store in airtight container. No need to fridge or freeze.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 7 Jun 2020, 4:16pm

Paulatic wrote:Store in airtight container. No need to fridge or freeze.

I was wondering if freezing them might undo one of the criticisms of blade grinders viz they heat up the beans - if the are already cold or frozen heating them up will only raise their temperature to maybe room ?
And only grinding a few grms at a time one other criticism of variable grain size?

Audax67

Postby Audax67 » 7 Jun 2020, 4:49pm

A couple of years back I read of an experiment that compared coffee storage methods: airtight container, valved bag, fridge, freezer. The beans were stored for a month: the only method that caused no deterioration was the freezer, whether in a container or not.

I buy coffee in batches of 4x250g valved bags, which last me about a month. When I'm going to need one, I take it out a day in advance to thaw and keep it out until it's done, usually about a week. The deterioration over that week is noticeable, but not pronounced. When I take out another bag it's as good as the previous one.

Re grinders, it's probably been said that the better the grinder the better the coffee. Good ones aren't cheap. Blade grinders are cheap.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 7 Jun 2020, 5:59pm

mercalia wrote:

I was wondering if freezing them might undo one of the criticisms of blade grinders viz they heat up the beans - if the are already cold or frozen heating them up will only raise their temperature to maybe room ?
And only grinding a few grms at a time one other criticism of variable grain size?

Nothing wrong with experimentation and if you’re happy with the result that’s all that matters.
I’m not as big of consumer as I buy 3x 250g which lasts me around 6 weeks. As the roasting date, from my supplier, is never more than a couple of days old I can see no advantage of freezing. I suspect when my coffee has reached 6 weeks old it’s still months younger than some of that sitting on shop shelves. I usually buy 2 of beans and 1 pre ground for aeropress. I’ve got my Spong No 3 fine tuned for the moka pot I’m reluctant to move the setting in case I can’t dial it back again. :D
Last edited by Paulatic on 20 Jul 2020, 8:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 20 Jul 2020, 8:32pm

next time you buy some coffee beans you might get a bit of stimulation from more than a little caffeine .....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-53466854/italian-police-find-cocaine-hidden-inside-coffee-beans

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 21 Jul 2020, 1:44pm

mercalia wrote:. I am not a fan of Lidl ground coffee in general.ders[/u][/b]..
Can anyone recommend a brand ( from Sainsburys ) of bean I might like to try. Any one know what beans.

Hmm, whilst I've always preferred Lid's generic products to Aldi's, in my view both Aldi's ground coffee and beans are far, far, far better* (NB. Perhaps I should say that I'm a coffee & tea fanatic; until 2007 used to have my beans sent across from Tanzania and roasted locally, before grinding myself. In respect to tea, I was always happy having 3-4 single source leaf teas to hand, Assam being my favoured brew). I'd recommend Aldi's Columbian beans.

And on another note. If you ever use a expresso pot, it's worth ensuring that both thepressure release valve and screw fitting are working correctly. When the top exploded off a few weeks back, I thought it was a one off, hadn't occurred in the previous 19 years and the pressure relief valve was clearly operational. No; believe it or not, the top blew off again whilst looking at this thread! (NB. Ironic really, as whilst the screw thread looks ok, it's obviously not holding underpressure. Going directly into the metal skip this afternoon to forestall the temptation to use it)

* And I've found Aldi's better than both Sainsburys and Waitrose. Similar to their wines, fist time I ever bought one of Aldi's in 2011-2012, ending up having to travel a 90 mile round journey back the next day to buy another couple of bottles.

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 21 Jul 2020, 3:03pm

And after 71 minutes trying to buy an expresso / moka pot off Amazon (NB. Google routinely placing Amazon everywhere). What a JOKE.

- Amazons provider may provide delivery in August or September, but this isn't a contractual commitment
- Amazons providers may charge X, Y, or Z, but the cost may vary, and the providers may confirm the cost before sending out the product
- Amazon can't provide any assurance that buying an expresso pot from Amazon will result in a Expresso pot being provided
- But Amazon can provide online chat to discuss the order, unfortunately the online chat may not be during July, but they can provide a call back, it may be in September, but they can't ensure that they'll make that call back, maybe the customer should call Amazon, because Amazon wants to help the customer, but you know it's not Amazons job to help the customer, thats the order providers job, but you know Amazon can chat online if you'd like that

I'm aware that Amazon are a joke, one reasojn I haven't used them for some time, so a 5 hour round bus journey beckons to buy a moka pot tomorrow, in a store. God I hope Amazon go bust, that'd be a fantastic outcome of the Covid thing.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 21 Jul 2020, 3:24pm

https://www.vonhaus.com/vh_en/kitchen/g ... 16EALw_wcB

...along with dozens of other moka/espresso pots?

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 21 Jul 2020, 7:36pm

Bonefishblues wrote:https://www.vonhaus.com/vh_en/kitchen/gifts/for-coffee-lovers/6-cup-espresso-maker?utm_content=_dc|pcrid|399791700425|pkw||pmt||grp||product|1000140|slid||pgrid|85496854952|ptaid|pla-320254250333&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpNr4BRDYARIsAADIx9z8fr2GfbM6cEZLt-wwTKx9a915yvgTQ5cytj9DSQBr9DQmpZP90iIaAl16EALw_wcB

...along with dozens of other moka/espresso pots?

Thanks, all at least 240ml too large. But following 6.5 Hr's work, a visit to six nationalwide stores, 3 discussions with store managers, three local homeware shops, a visit to an English website (NB.Which seem's to be posting their espresso pots directly from China, delivery date August/September), it's become apparent that a small store in Dorset, 400 miles away, can supply a suitably sized espresso pot, FOC via Royal Mail, within 5-6 days :D