We're getting a puppy

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: We're getting a puppy

Post by mercalia »

get one of these? a Farage biter?
farage.JPG
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sailor came home on Wednesday evening, collected by our daughter as we were away until Thursday evening (yesterday).
He's settling in well, and the three cats only object a bit - some hissing and spitting but nothing serious. :lol:

He's growing rapidly and he's a complete bundle of fun for an hour, then he sleeps for an hour .......... but only after he's eaten and been for a short walk round the garden.

This is him on the settee.
Sailor.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I'm going to have to ignore this thread now. Although nearly a year since I lost my last Border Collie (and having been "dogless" since then), it's still tough and (nothing wrong with this thread) but making me sad and miss her and starting to want another ...

Ian
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote:Sailor came home on Wednesday evening, collected by our daughter as we were away until Thursday evening (yesterday).
He's settling in well, and the three cats only object a bit - some hissing and spitting but nothing serious. :lol:

He's growing rapidly and he's a complete bundle of fun for an hour, then he sleeps for an hour .......... but only after he's eaten and been for a short walk round the garden.

This is him on the settee.Sailor.jpg

The envy I feel is ten times greater than if you had just acquired the most desirable, bespoke bicycle. :D
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote:
This is him on the settee.Sailor.jpg

Spoilt already :D

Dogs were never allowed on chairs in this household. They belong in a bed on the floor.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

He's only little!
He need cuddles!

He's asleep now. Solid gone.
We're off to do a spot of shopping soon, and he'll get a ride in a car again.

Daughter collected him on Wednesday evening after she finished work. She works in Callington Cornwall, but the puppies were in Horrabridge Devon. The trouble is, Gunnislake bridge is broken and she had a long long diversion to follow. The journey to bring Sailor back in her car should have been about 10miles from there to home .......... had to be 40odd miles. It took over an hour, so he had a baptism of fire!

All he knew about the world before then, was a straw-strewn barn in a mucky smelly cattle farm. It would have been a big shock to him.

He's off to the vets on Monday for his injections and when the course is complete, he'll be out walking on the roads and visiting pubs with us. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:.....
He's off to the vets on Monday for his injections and when the course is complete, he'll be out walking on the roads and visiting pubs with us. :D

An interesting difference between UK & France. In UK vets are paranoid about puppies not going out before their vaccinations provide protection. In France vets seem more concerned about getting puppies out to experience the world as a higher priority (i.e. don't delay). Plus, in France they tend to vaccinate earlier so when you collect your puppy (at same age as in UK) they have already had their 1st vaccination injection (and are already tagged).

Not advising you, but even the breeder of my UK born BC said to wrap the puppy in a blanket and take carry it around (e.g. to pub). But I am just repeating what I was told and claim no expertise.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I think if you were buying a pedigree (expensive) puppy, the breeder would've started the course of injections off, and the cost would be put onto the cost of the purchase. Ditto the microchipping and Kennel Club registration etc. For a £500/£1000+ puppy it would be chicken feed.

Our last female BC (Megan) had 30 puppies in her lifetime - we kept No 29 (Rascal). Her later pups were sold at £50 each, and the last of her litters was born March 1991.

We've bought a farm dog. The price has gone up in those years, but only to £140. You couldn't sell a farm dog for much more than that, so injections and vet bills couldn't be included.

BTW, he doesn't like car journeys (yet), so later, we'll be going out again. Little and often is the best way we think, and to show him that he always comes back home.
Mick F. Cornwall
irc

Post by irc »

Mick F wrote:BTW, he doesn't like car journeys (yet), so later, we'll be going out again. Little and often is the best way we think, and to show him that he always comes back home.

Correct. Our new pup was very nervous about the car. Hyperventilating, carsick, etc. But short trips almost every day and a few weeks on she is fine. Just goes to sleep.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

He's been here for a full three days.
The difference in him is amazing since his arriving.

He's grown, answers to his name, will sit when told, happy to be on a lead, "performs" outside when required but with only the one or two wee accidents in the house. He knows the front and back doors, has respect for the cats and the parrot, and knows his way round outside in the garden.

Still not happy in the car, but much better than he was. Not too happy about going to the far end of the back garden (understandably agoraphobic?) , but ok near the house where he can see it.

Sleeps like a log, so that's a good thing. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sailor is doing quite well. Nearly four months old.
I say "quite" because he's one heck of a handful, good some of the time, asleep for lots of times, and "Demon Dog" for some of the time too.
The cats don't mind him too much and thrap him down if required! :lol:

Off out a walk with him soon. We're going down to the playing fields nearby with ball to throw. He's not brilliant in coming when called, but he's learning all the time. Often deliberately disobedient and wilful but he'll be ok off the lead down there with the two of us. We'll try him in the fenced-off little-used tennis court first.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Gun ... -4.2135524

We've ordered a tag for his collar, and it should be with us fully engraved on the reverse with his name, our phone number and our postcode.

We think this is just right for a sailor! :D
https://reddingo.com/products/tags/enamel/01-AN-DB/
All arranged by our local pet shop, so I think there must be a UK outlet rather than coming all the way from USA.

01-AN-DB_01.png
01-AN-DB_01.png (14.94 KiB) Viewed 433 times
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

German dogs are well-behaved or smart or both, often a dog 'faehrt gerne Auto', that means she likes riding in a car, it also means she likes driving a car, I guess one has to try to interpret from the context :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The tennis court idea failed. He was too interested in looking through the fences at people than bothering chasing a ball.
We gave up, and went on a long walk along the river bank.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Nearly six miles today.
He's spark out.
Good!!!! :D

I'm fine, I could have done triple that.
Sailor Walk.png
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
dump the ball thrower and long walks while he is still growing!
won't do him a lot of good, gently does it :wink:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.