We're getting a puppy

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Re: We're getting a puppy

Postby Cugel » 9 Jun 2019, 6:27pm

Mick F wrote:
Mrs Mick F did it all, and "vetted" the prospective owners. Some were refused.

Hoo hoo - one hopes that "vetted" is not a euphemism for a certain procedure involving a certain organ! On the other hand, I know several types of dog owners who should be so-vetted, if it would stop them buying and abusing macho-dog.

When I'm Richard The Spud, dog licenses will cost a lot and there will be extensive tests for all would-be owners. Any found dog-abusing will be fed to the German Shepherd dogs owned by the rozzers, for their practice. The worst will be used as pretend-sheep so that collies may continuously practice the rounding up via nip.

But I am allowing my imagination to run away now.

Cugel

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 10 Jun 2019, 2:31pm

Dog licenses costing a lot?
I don't agree with that at all unless it's means tested .......... but even that is fraught with problems.
Also, you could own an unlicensed dog. Who would know? How would it be policed?

What about cat licences, or horse licences?
They are as much of a social problem as dogs IMO. Horses are dangerous out in public too.

You'll be wanting cycle licenses next as well. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 10 Jun 2019, 3:26pm

Round here there's often cobs tied up by the road, busy roads too. Some tower blocks have a few between them. They occasionally get loose causing traffic issues. Still, I prefer that to the owners keeping them in garages and lockups which seems to be the alternatives with the types that seem to prefer that breed.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 10 Jun 2019, 3:46pm

Some years few ago, a chap living near the village bought (for not much money) a Dartmoor pony and kept it as a pet. He would walk it like a dog up and down the lanes. It wasn't broken in and although sort of tame - for a Dartmoor pony - it was happy enough to be led about and to walk the lanes ........................ and on the main road, through the traffic lights, and into the village. :shock:

Many was the time he would leave it outside the shop whilst doing his shopping. Pony and he were a regular item and often seen out and about.

Trouble is, one day, pony was outside Gunnislake Stores.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.52399 ... 312!8i6656

Then, a chap on a motorbike went through, and Pony shot into the shop! :lol: :lol:
Pandemonium ensued. :lol: :lol:
No-one hurt, thank goodness, but it could have been carnage in there. Luck was on his side.

Honestly, this is as true as I'm sitting here.
Mick F. Cornwall

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 10 Jun 2019, 5:44pm

Mick F wrote:Dog licenses costing a lot?
I don't agree with that at all unless it's means tested .......... but even that is fraught with problems.
Also, you could own an unlicensed dog. Who would know? How would it be policed?

What about cat licences, or horse licences?
They are as much of a social problem as dogs IMO. Horses are dangerous out in public too.

You'll be wanting cycle licenses next as well. :wink:

I know several cyclists who should be required to have licenses, which I would personally refuse them. :-) Terribly awful at cycling, they are. Get us all a bad name, they do!

But I would have every would-be owner of a beast required to have a license, obtainable by a test-exam concerning the proper treatments, insurance and so forth. The necessary inspectorate would be paid for by the license fees.

Those without means would be allowed to adopt an otherwise unwanted beast, although they'd still have to pass the test-exam. Free of charge in exchange for adopting. An inspector would still call. They'd have to be able to afford the insurance as well as the pet fud. Think of the advantages. Beasts protected a bit more from useless or nasty owners. Less pet-beasts polluting the pavements or murdering the dickie birds.

Cugel

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 10 Jun 2019, 7:33pm

We were given a marrow bone from a local butcher.
Sailor has spent hours with it. :D

IMG_0286.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 21 Jun 2019, 9:33pm

I hope your puppy is not like Peter the Fainting Cocker Spaniel

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... field-vets

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 22 Jun 2019, 6:42am

We had a BC once who started throwing fits. She died early. :cry:

Sailor sleeps well. He runs around like a motorbike round and round and round the house, then flops down on the floor and goes to sleep solid gone. :D
Mick F. Cornwall

pwa

Postby pwa » 23 Jun 2019, 6:58am

Mick F wrote:We had a BC once who started throwing fits. She died early. :cry:

Sailor sleeps well. He runs around like a motorbike round and round and round the house, then flops down on the floor and goes to sleep solid gone. :D

Room for a few more, Mick ? :wink:

https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/our-centre ... sa-collies

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 23 Jun 2019, 8:44am

No thank you! This one's enough for us.

Seeing as Sailor is our fifth BC, and our second one, Megan, had thirty pups in her lifetime (First of her litters had eight puppies!) and our fourth, Phoebe, had one litter of six.

This means we've had 5 + 30 + 6 = forty-one Border Collies in this household!
Mick F. Cornwall

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 8 Jul 2019, 1:33pm

How's about this? :D

Me and Daughter1 with Dog1 Sally in Rosyth circa 1978.
Also Dog5 Sailor.
Dog1 and Dog5.png
Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 8 Jul 2019, 9:20pm

I've been looking after my eldest daughter's collie for the past two weeks,15 years old,as blind as a bat and some teeth missing that needed pulling a couple of years ago due to rot.
A beautiful animal,very obedient and will walk your legs off :)
Elliot went home on Friday and I have to admit it was a bit of a wrench :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 8 Jul 2019, 9:41pm

:cry:
Sally was 15? when we had her put to sleep. It was one of the saddest moments of my life.
She was a wonderful dog and deaf as a post latterly. We used to clap our hands to attract her attention.

That photograph shows that Sally's and Sailor's births are 45years apart. :shock: :shock:
Sally in 1974 and Sailor in 2019.
Mick F. Cornwall

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 8 Jul 2019, 10:12pm

reohn2 wrote:I've been looking after my eldest daughter's collie for the past two weeks,15 years old,as blind as a bat and some teeth missing that needed pulling a couple of years ago due to rot.
A beautiful animal,very obedient and will walk your legs off :)
Elliot went home on Friday and I have to admit it was a bit of a wrench :?

I would lend you a-one of mine for a bit but I feel you may be a collie-napper. He would have you trained in 15 minutes, as his collie-slave number 392. :-)

Cugel

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 8 Jul 2019, 10:26pm

Mick F wrote::cry:
Sally was 15? when we had her put to sleep. It was one of the saddest moments of my life.
She was a wonderful dog and deaf as a post latterly. We used to clap our hands to attract her attention.

That photograph shows that Sally's and Sailor's births are 45years apart. :shock: :shock:
Sally in 1974 and Sailor in 2019.

Sailor looks very much like Elliot :)

20190627_125253.jpg
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.