Abusive dog walker

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Abusive dog walker

Postby 661-Pete » 30 Mar 2019, 9:50pm

One of those things that one supposes "won't happen to me" -- but it did.

Out with Mrs P on a short walk in the New Forest today, came towards a woman with eight or nine large dogs, none on a leash, all apparently of the same breed (I won't be more specific except to say, a breed not normally regarded as aggressive). Some of these dogs ran towards us and two jumped up against my wife nearly knocking her over (as I said these were big heavy dogs). Another jumped on me. At this point I felt 'enough was enough' and shouted to the woman to call her dogs off.

What I didn't expect was the torrent of vile abuse in return, including what may have been racist insults ("go back where you came from" whatever that means - puzzling since we're both white and British-born, perhaps she took us for EU migrants?). Anyway, we hastily retreated.

As you can believe, this encounter spoilt our day and upset both my wife and me.

A short while later we met a couple of other walkers and asked them if they'd seen a woman with several dogs. They immediately not only said they had, but named her - and mentioned that all she ever thinks of are her dogs - and she's not quite 'all there, upstairs'. Which we can well believe. I explained what had happened and they didn't seem surprised.

Since coming home I've googled the name and the woman has an entry on a dog breeder's site, giving her details and E-mail address. The photo on the page matches her description (we didn't get too close to her). I don't want to pursue this matter, but I'm worried that these dogs may run up against a small child, or an elderly person, or a cyclist. Plenty of those in the New Forest. Any suggestions?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Bonefishblues

Re: Abusive dog walker

Postby Bonefishblues » 30 Mar 2019, 9:56pm

Call the local Dog Warden, I suggest. Let them know what happened and leave them to do what they think appropriate.

mjr

Postby mjr » 30 Mar 2019, 10:15pm

Yep, dangerous dogs, but as the danger has passed, best tell the Dog Warden Service, Appletree Court, Lyndhurst, Hampshire, SO43 7PA. Tel - 023 8028 5000. ... New Forest District Council.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 30 Mar 2019, 10:33pm

I can only give the same advice the previous two posters have offered.
I do find it incredible that same people have no control of their animals and care even less the upset and or damage they cause,but at least if reported something may be done.
Not so with cat owners we used to have a next door neighbour with 21 cats who wouldn't listen to reason or cared about the mess they made of adjacent gardens,totally loopie and completely unreasonable as well as untouchable by LA or any kind of warden.
IMO it's a mental health issue.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

pwa

Postby pwa » 31 Mar 2019, 7:36am

If the lady is "not all there" it does partly explain her behaviour. Though she shouldn't be in charge of so many dogs if she is not competent. I know a lady with a genetic disability who can be very abusive and if people don't understand her disability it can be awkward.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 31 Mar 2019, 8:00am

1 Don’t forget the knee into their chest. It’s never failed me and it’s further training for the dog.

2 If this woman is running a business, as you say there’s a web site, does she have a licence? ( needed if producing more than 5 litters /yr.) Should the incident be lodged with the licensing authority?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 31 Mar 2019, 8:22am

There is a sort of solution near me, a fenced-off bit of woodland where dogs may run free
Three drawbacks at least
1. access restricted for those without dogs, there are just a few gates, one might accept this if outside all dogs were on leads, of course they are not
2. dogpersons still let their beasts off the lead where this is not allowed
3. TDD, the tragedy of drive-dogwalking, people com from away. I thought one could walk from home with a dog, maybe there should be more dog toilets in residential areas
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 31 Mar 2019, 8:26am

Forget the dog warden (and not all local authorities have one anyway) dangerous dogs are not their responsibility.

Call the police. Whilst riding about 18 months ago l was chased and bitten (quite badly) by a German shepherd. The police response was remarkably swift and efficient. I did not choose to press charges but l could have done.

I was outpacing the chasing dog, my mistake was to slow down because l didn't want to lead it too far from the home where it had appeared - l won't do that again! But it appears you have enough information for the police to act upon it so report it. I don't want it to be me next time!

pwa

Postby pwa » 31 Mar 2019, 8:31am

I'm okay with dogs, even badly behaved ones, but my feeling is that it could be a nervous child instead of me. What would happen then? So if they are a worry from that standpoint perhaps these things are worth reporting.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 31 Mar 2019, 8:34am

pwa wrote:I'm okay with dogs, even badly behaved ones, but my feeling is that it could be a nervous child instead of me. What would happen then?

If the dog is bigger than the child anything could happen
You "must" report it

Should the number (or total weight) of dogs one may keep be restricted?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 31 Mar 2019, 9:07am

Thanks for the replies. As someone said, the abusive speech could be down to the woman's mental condition, it's upsetting but I'd let that pass: only my wife and myself were involved. I also stress that the dogs were not aggressive, in fact they were 'friendly' in a 'doggy' sort of way. Just that on this occasion their 'friendship' was a bit unwelcome.

My only concern is that she is persuaded to have more control of her dogs - for the reasons some have mentioned. And to take fewer of them out at any one time. The New Forest is not one of our regular haunts but we had an engagement in Southampton later that day. I know there are special by-laws. Maybe some concerning dogs? The other couple mentioned that there is a set limit on the number of dogs that may accompany one person, and that this woman regularly flouts it. We have a similar rule in an area of parkland local to us: limit six dogs (quite generous!).

Something that could be brought up?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 31 Mar 2019, 9:09am

She was not in control of her dogs, that's pretty much it. She needs to be. I say that as a passionate dog owner.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 31 Mar 2019, 9:29am

pwa wrote:I'm okay with dogs, even badly behaved ones, but my feeling is that it could be a nervous child instead of me. What would happen then? So if they are a worry from that standpoint perhaps these things are worth reporting.

That's always my concern too,one of my gransons is a little timid and very wary and frightened of dogs.Children should not be in the position of unwanted apporoaches from dogs let alone a pack of them.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Freddie

Postby Freddie » 31 Mar 2019, 11:38am

I grew up with dogs and they are great pets, although if they are over-exuberant and not obedient, that can be a problem.

It'd be a shame for him to remain forever fearful of man's best friend. Get him a small lap dog as a pet, that'll help him out.

661-Pete

Postby 661-Pete » 31 Mar 2019, 11:49am

Freddie wrote:I grew up with dogs and they are great pets, although if they are over-exuberant and not obedient, that can be a problem.

It'd be a shame for him to remain forever fearful of man's best friend. Get him a small lap dog as a pet, that'll help him out.
Well-intentioned, no doubt - but risky. I would be very cautious about giving a child responsibility for a dog. Probably better to get a medium-sized but docile one (e.g. cocker spaniel?). Just to make it clear that it's the parents who take responsibility, not the child.

I too was terrified of dogs as a small child (maybe that's coloured my opinions?). I don't think anything was done back then, to help me overcome my fear. Simply reassurances of "he won't hurt you" - which won't wash with a child! Today, really aggressive dogs can still scare me. Though that wasn't the case yesterday: the dogs weren't aggressive, just over-'friendly'. And too many of them!