Abusive dog walker

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Flinders

Re: Abusive dog walker

Postby Flinders » 15 Apr 2019, 12:38pm

reohn2 wrote:There is a dog owner problem IMO:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales- ... -for-blood

Sadly this is a common thing, ask any sheep farmer. Some suffer from this sort of thing on a regular basis if they are in touristy areas, though in two cases farmers have told me it has been local dogs from the village. If they try to do anything about it, they get grief. personally I think dogs that do this sort of thing should be shot. And their owners fined very heavily or even imprisoned. It is no different to setting dogs or other animals on each other in a fight in terms of the cruelty to the sheep, and should be treated as such.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 15 Apr 2019, 1:12pm

Not forgetting this tragic case : - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-47932537
One of many each year in the UK.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

pwa

Postby pwa » 15 Apr 2019, 5:10pm

Flinders wrote:
reohn2 wrote:There is a dog owner problem IMO:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales- ... -for-blood

Sadly this is a common thing, ask any sheep farmer. Some suffer from this sort of thing on a regular basis if they are in touristy areas, though in two cases farmers have told me it has been local dogs from the village. If they try to do anything about it, they get grief. personally I think dogs that do this sort of thing should be shot. And their owners fined very heavily or even imprisoned. It is no different to setting dogs or other animals on each other in a fight in terms of the cruelty to the sheep, and should be treated as such.

Having stood in a field talking to a farmer who has just been collecting dead sheep after a dog attack I have to agree with you. Punishing the dog is a bit futile, since it is always the owner that is to blame, but it should be treated as a serious offence and farmers should be given help finding out who is responsible.

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 16 Apr 2019, 7:45am

pwa wrote:Having stood in a field talking to a farmer who has just been collecting dead sheep after a dog attack I have to agree with you. Punishing the dog is a bit futile, since it is always the owner that is to blame, but it should be treated as a serious offence and farmers should be given help finding out who is responsible.

This was the subject of an article on Farming Today this morning. Taking dog DNA was discussed, but where we're going to find the money for that.... Bringing back dog licences might fund it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00047vc

pwa

Postby pwa » 16 Apr 2019, 8:01am

Ben@Forest wrote:
pwa wrote:Having stood in a field talking to a farmer who has just been collecting dead sheep after a dog attack I have to agree with you. Punishing the dog is a bit futile, since it is always the owner that is to blame, but it should be treated as a serious offence and farmers should be given help finding out who is responsible.

This was the subject of an article on Farming Today this morning. Taking dog DNA was discussed, but where we're going to find the money for that.... Bringing back dog licences might fund it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00047vc

I remember dog licences, and I remember that irresponsible dog owners didn't always have one.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 16 Apr 2019, 8:08am

Ben@Forest wrote:[

Yeah , just like driving licences stop bad drivers :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

pwa

Postby pwa » 16 Apr 2019, 8:25am

Don't dogs have to be chipped? If there were to be a dog DNA database (potentially a good thing) it would have to be 100%, and I think that means requiring vets to refuse treatment to dogs not on the database.

I love dogs but I hate the irresponsibility of some owners. A few days ago I was in a street in a South Wales valley, on foot, and I encountered a small girl, aged about 4, accompanied by a loose dog. No adult in sight. The dog was a stocky staffy sort of thing, larger than most staffs and triggering the word "pitbull" in my mind. The dog was friendly and jumped up at me. "He's jumpy", the girl informed me. I wondered about the sort of person who would allow their four year old daughter to wander the street alone, and permit such a powerful dog to roam free with no supervision.

(This situation is not typical of the South Wales valleys. It is unusual.)

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 16 Apr 2019, 8:50am

Paulatic wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:This was the subject of an article on Farming Today this morning. Taking dog DNA was discussed, but where we're going to find the money for that.... Bringing back dog licences might fund it.

Yeah , just like driving licences stop bad drivers :lol:

I think a good number of sheep worrying incidents will occur from dogs owned by people 'who never thought they'd do that.' Viz probably the most famous incident - Fenton and the deer in Richmond Park - (yeah OK not sheep but the same deal). The owner was someone of minor reknown and would have had a dog which complied with all rules.

Similarly when l was recently bitten by a dog the owner was truly horrified he'd done it - she genuinely didn't think he'd do such a thing, and she was a respectable middle class, middle aged woman who I'm sure pays her taxes etc....

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 16 Apr 2019, 9:03am

pwa wrote:Don't dogs have to be chipped? )

They do have to be here in Scotland. The crazy thing is our local police stations don’t have a reader. They still appeal on Fb "does anyone know this dog?"

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 16 Apr 2019, 9:07am

A farming friend once had a spell of a dog from owners staying at next-door caravan park chasing sheep for fun. Never caught them or bit them but if they'd been pregnant it's enough to miscarry.

The owner was a repeat visitor and whenever confronted got defensive saying it never hurt anything. The farming friend left her with the comment "suit yourself, but I'm getting my gun". At that point she said with confidence the farmer couldn't shoot it that's illegal. He replied not if it's chasing sheep or isn't. The owner was thick enough not to know farmers have a legal right to shoot any dog worrying their sheep or livestock.

IIRC that dog never came back. I still am not sure if the farmer would have shot it being a dog and animal lover. That's why they got into farming and they're good at it.

If it was made me public the dogs farmers have shot I suspect you'd get better controlled dogs on farmland with livestock. A shot of the grieving owners picking the dead dog up in the field. Is that really too far or not?

pwa

Postby pwa » 16 Apr 2019, 9:15am

Though I love dogs I have no objection to a farmer shooting one in extreme circumstances. But I bet it is hard to do. The dog will be a moving target, possibly in amongst sheep, and you have to be lucky enough to be around, with your gun, at the same time as the dog, and it has to be light enough to see... It must be rare for a farmer to get a good shot in.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 16 Apr 2019, 9:17am

Tangled Metal wrote: ...........If it was made me public the dogs farmers have shot I suspect you'd get better controlled dogs on farmland with livestock. A shot of the grieving owners picking the dead dog up in the field. Is that really too far or not?

If there were notices up informing dog owners their dog(s) will be shot if found worrying sheep, along side the ones asking dog owners to keep their animals on a lead,perhaps idiot dog owners may think twice.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 16 Apr 2019, 10:02am

You do see these signs around. The even have gross pictures of dead ewes with their guts torn out in some cases. I've seen them on the stile or gate into the field then saw a dog chasing sheep in the field. They really don't work.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 16 Apr 2019, 10:27am

There are those in the dog walking fraternity that will pull those signs down.
My last 30 yrs I got very little trouble from dogs. Those people I did have to have a word with seemed to be mostly in deep conversation and without any thought as to what their dog was doing.
In my early years in Co Durham you could go out on a morning and find sheep distressed and absolutely everywhere. There was a huge problem there back in the 70s with the unemployed working at night with lurchers.

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 16 Apr 2019, 11:34am

It might be hard to shoot a dog but tbh if they're worrying sheep the sheep will flock and the dog might become clear for a shot. I've known farmers who have shot foxes among their livestock at night before now and they're a lot harder to shoot than a dog that's not scared of you.

I think if they had to a farmer would get the dog. I bet you would too if you see the £600 a time bill stacking up with every sheep mauled. It's often shock that kills not the blood loss.