Will You Vote in the EU elections ( if you can) ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Yes
90%
No
6%
Maybe
2%
Dont know
2%

Total votes: 62

mercalia

Post by mercalia »

So we may be here longer than May want so have to take part in the EU elections? SO what is going to happen? Can the govt deny us a vote and just let the current EUMPs carry on or will we be given a vote?
mjr

Re: Will You Vote in the EU elections ( if you can) ?

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:Can the govt deny us a vote and just let the current EUMPs carry on or will we be given a vote?

No, they cannot just let the current MEPs carry on. That would be a violation of UK citizens' rights to participate in EU elections under Article 20 of the Treaty of Rome and I would bet on people taking both the UK government and the EU to court over it.

Could any government deny us a vote and just let the current UK MPs carry on? I'd be surprised if that's not been outlawed after it happened around Cromwell's time.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I think this is a Brexit thread, is it not?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
mjr

Post by mjr »

horizon wrote:I think this is a Brexit thread, is it not?

Nope. It's an EU elections thread. It's only a Brexit thread insofar as that may prevent EU elections.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I'm sure Old Nick (Farrago) wants folk to vote, so that he can collect a few more Euroshekels for making snide remarks in the EP*.

I'll certainly be voting, for Macron's bunch.

* European Parliament or Extended Play?
Have we got time for another cuppa?
rjb

Post by rjb »

It will give others a chance to spoil there papers and let the EU know how we feel. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Audax67 wrote:I'm sure Old Nick (Farrago) wants folk to vote, so that he can collect a few more Euroshekels for making snide remarks in the EP*.

I upset a colleague who is all for a General Election and a campaign to vote out ay MP who is not strongly Pro-Brexit

He thought that a similar campaign to oust Farrage was an unacceptable travesty typical of "remainers"
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cunobelin wrote:
Audax67 wrote:I'm sure Old Nick (Farrago) wants folk to vote, so that he can collect a few more Euroshekels for making snide remarks in the EP*.

I upset a colleague who is all for a General Election and a campaign to vote out ay MP who is not strongly Pro-Brexit

He thought that a similar campaign to oust Farrage was an unacceptable travesty typical of "remainers"

Newport by-election yesterday. Leave voting constituency elected a reamainer MP.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Unless some wacky oddball Monster Raving Loony like candidate is on the ballot paper I shan't vote in the European elections.

I'm not pro or anti anything really, politically. The exception is politicians in general, of which I am increasingly anti, and the recent behaviour of both domestic and Euro politico's of all stripe is doing nothing to make me warm to any of them.

If anyone has a remote island for sale in international waters then I'd be very interested :lol:
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I watched a long session of the European parliament recently on TV. Amazing speeches from our European friends. And then abuse from Farage.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I said No, but I reserve the right to change my mind.

I can't remember if I voted for the EU elections last time or not. TBH, I don't think many people care one way or another about the EU parliament and I don't even know which "constituency" we're in.
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:I said No, but I reserve the right to change my mind.

I can't remember if I voted for the EU elections last time or not. TBH, I don't think many people care one way or another about the EU parliament and I don't even know which "constituency" we're in.

I'm sure that is true, which is no doubt why people think that the EU is undemocratic even when it is way more democratic the Uk. And why they they, mistakenly, think that the EU makes our laws.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 6 Apr 2019, 10:26am, edited 1 time in total.
John
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

You’ll be in “south West England”
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea ... ed_Kingdom
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Oldjohnw wrote:

I'm sure that is true, which is no doubt why people think that the EU is undemocratic even when it is way more sense Nathan the Uk. And why they they, mistakenly, think that the EU makes our laws.

It is simply one of the Great Myths of Brexit.... What I love even more is the claim that we cannot tolerate an "unelected" EU, however he same people ascend in rapture at the thought of the WTO who really are an unelected body
mjr

Post by mjr »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I'm not pro or anti anything really, politically. The exception is politicians in general, of which I am increasingly anti, and the recent behaviour of both domestic and Euro politico's of all stripe is doing nothing to make me warm to any of them.

I thought you'd be trying to become a candidate for the new Change UK party. ;) That'd put the wind up them!