Ten mental health tips

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Ten mental health tips

Post by Cyril Haearn »

1 Talk about your feelings
2 Keep active
3 Eat well
4 Drink sensibly
5 Keep in touch
6 Ask for help
7 Take a break
8 Do something you are good at
9 Accept who you are
10 Care for others

10.10 is World Mental Health Day
"It is important to take care of yourself and get the most from life. Making simple changes to how you live doesn't need to cost a fortune or take up loads of time"
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Re: Ten mental health tips

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote: ^ <SNIP>

As I am so very sane and never do "lunatic" (except when necessary) I will add some from the top o' me heed:

* Avoid debt unless it's limited, controlled and well within your foreseeable means.
* Never gamble. Even a raffle is mentally dangerous to one's acceptance of reality.
* Consumerism is unavoidable but consuming slowly will only make you mad slowly.
* Don't regard driving (or cycling) as a competition unless it really is one (policed by commissars or marshals).
* Eschew the climbing of greasy poles of every kind, especially those needing you to dislodge the other climbers.
* Don't accept who you are if your reputation is "that nutter". Change for the better is possible.
* Become really good at things. Competance is a mental medicine. Incompetance is a symptom of impending mental disintegration.
* Avoid potted ideologies of every kind in favour of agile pragmatism.

Cugel, eyes unswivelled.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Right again Cugel, I was angling for more tips, here are some of mine

- Keep the Sabbath (does not have to be Sunday)
- Change the sequence in which one does things
- Act anticyclically (is that the right word?), I do this, for example I do not cycle so much in hot weather when cycling is popular :wink:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

another one

dont read or follow the Brexit thread
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Get a dog.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We attended a funeral yesterday of the elder son of friends of ours.
Suicide.

He was 41. Outwardly happy and fine. He was educated, active, outdoors sort of chap, healthy, and "normal".
The day he killed himself, he was happy and relaxed. He'd obviously planned it to the Nth degree, and phoned 999 to tell them what he was doing and that they wouldn't be able to get to him until after he'd done it.

Three biggest causes of death in 40odd year old men is vehicle crashes, cancer, and suicide.
Suicide is the biggest.

Very very sad indeed.
Mick F. Cornwall
Graham

Post by Graham »

mercalia wrote: . . dont read or follow the Brexit thread

Top Tip :wink:
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

mercalia wrote:another one

dont read or follow the Brexit thread

You owe me a new keyboard, as mine if not covered in coffee thanks to laughing at this! :lol:
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Where are the first ten tips from? Some are good advice, others are a bit questionable.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Freddie wrote:Where are the first ten tips from? Some are good advice, others are a bit questionable.

www.mentalhealth.org.uk

Which do you disagree with?
I prefer drinking no alcohol to 'drinking sensibly' :?
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

I don't think people should 'talk about their feelings', unless the person they are talking to is:

a) trustworthy and unlikely to use the information against you
b) someone you know well and is capable of giving some good quality advice

This rules out 'talking about your feelings' to around 90% of the people any one person might know.

1 seems to suggest you pour your heart out to anyone, which I think is pretty bad advice. Talking about feelings is only half of it, finding a solution to persistent negative emotions is the other half. It seems to suggest that by talking to anyone about your feelings, that things will improve. I think if you tell the wrong person about your feelings, it is likely to make you feel rather worse in the long term.
Last edited by Freddie on 6 Apr 2019, 12:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Right again Freddie, in part at least
I spend more time with co-workers than anyone else, I would not discuss my feelings with them :wink:
Tipp #99
Straighten your crown and fight on!
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Freddie wrote:I don't think people should 'talk about their feelings', unless the person they are talking to is:

a) trustworthy and unlikely to use the information against you
b) someone you know well and is capable of giving some good quality advice

This rules out 'talking about your feelings' to around 90% of the people any one person might know.

1 seems to suggest you pour your heart out to anyone, which I think is pretty bad advice. Talking about feelings is only half of it, finding a solution to persistent negative emotions is the other half. It seems to suggest that by talking to anyone about your feelings, that things will improve. I think if you tell the wrong person about your feelings, it is likely to make you feel rather worse in the long term.

Ha ha - I wear my heart on my sleeve and often on my foreheed, so it gets noticed more. Where I was brought up this was normal, since the honest expression of how one feels was regarded as the basis of all other honest behaviours.

But some social contexts are rife with "dangerous liasons" eh? I avoid such social cointexts or, if this is not possible, get extra feelsy just for fun. Many of the reticent do squirm when a feeling is expressed in an unambiguous fashion!

But I suppose ....

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
Step out of line, the men come and take you away

Buffalo Springfield from their ditty "For What It's Worth".

The people you trust to give you good advice are often the people who will just give you a pet and a stroke, as they agree with your angst. This is known as "staying in my bubble". Personally I prefer to have my bubble burst as this often relieves the pressure.

FInally, here is some advice that might burst your anxiety-bubble. You've got to get over this (feeling) sometime so why not now?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Audax67 wrote:Get a dog.

Get a dog then become it's slave even as you are it's master.

Dog's show their feelings and enjoy you showing yours. They like to know what's what, see? They understand friendship, loyalty, devotion and good fun in a way that most humans don't.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We're getting a puppy! :D
Collecting him on Wednesday next week. Went round to visit him again today.

He'll be our fifth Border Collie. First one was in 1974 a year after we married.
Mick F. Cornwall