Ten mental health tips

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: Ten mental health tips

Post by Bonefishblues »

I'm conflicted on that as I do fly across the world once annually
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Cugel wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Cycling is good for mental health! I find I can think clearly while tootling along, just need to write my thoughts down and act on them

If your write down your thoughts as you cycle along, you may find yourself in the gutter or even at the bottom of a drystone wall with blud on it (yours). Why not instead go along dictating your thoughts into a bar-mounted recorder? This would also be an opportunity to out-gizmo the other cyclists, which is very important apparently.

Cugel

Voice typing into a note taking app on a 7 or 8 inch tablet in a case on your bar's perhaps would solve that.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Tangled Metal wrote:
Cugel wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Cycling is good for mental health! I find I can think clearly while tootling along, just need to write my thoughts down and act on them

If your write down your thoughts as you cycle along, you may find yourself in the gutter or even at the bottom of a drystone wall with blud on it (yours). Why not instead go along dictating your thoughts into a bar-mounted recorder? This would also be an opportunity to out-gizmo the other cyclists, which is very important apparently.

Cugel

Voice typing into a note taking app on a 7 or 8 inch tablet in a case on your bar's perhaps would solve that.

Don't tell me! You just bought a-one!? :-)

I'm waiting for the bar gizmo that eradicates difficulties or ugly things hoving into view and replaces them with a small lump of utopia. This gizmo will come with various flavours of utopia to suit all tastes. But wait! We already have the large model in the form of The Television.

Of course, it's not called "the idiot box" for nothing. Those hoving difficulties and ugly things will insist on being The Real, shattering the nice screen pics to bite us in the face like a rabid dog (or one with a corona virus).

Cugel

PS Isn't the voice-typing what NA does hereabouts? His posts are a model of clarity and convincing notions as a result, eh?
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mr Ankling uses the future tech I think
When cycling, if I have thoughts, I stop and write them on a piece of paper
Thoughts while falling asleep are more difficult, they may get lost
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

8 do something one is good at
Cycling? Sleeping?

Whatabout the mental health implications of CV? I want to be correct, in theory stay at home, but I went for a long walk yesterday, felt good after
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Oldjohnw wrote:Many of the things that unfortunate circumstances are forcing upon us as a society will be useful for a future beyond these difficult and uncertain times. As cyclist many are already practiced by us. For starters, here are a couple or three. Please add for our mutual benefit.

Daily exercise
Idle time: standing and staring
Reading
Looking out of the window
Reducing motorised transport
Planning meals and menus: reducing our shopping trips
Reducing consumption
Being nice
Helping others
Lifetime learning

Ha ha - you're determined to see the good!. In fact I applaud your attitude really and am even a bit envious of it, being as how I've been feeling a bit fed-up with the less-good behaviours and attitudes one may see about the place just now. But that's me becoming part of the problem too, eh!?

Anyroadup, those things in your list are all good. In practice I've been doing all of them for years. Even the traffic reduction can be done by the trick of moving somewhere where there's hardly any. Of course, if we all did that .... :-)

And "being nice"..... Oh, I try and sometimes succeed but I'm only human (partly). Sometimes a bit of nasty can be nice in disguise, mind. The ladywife can emit a nasty critique from time to time and this is effective at making me better rather than worse at summick, see? If she was more gentle, I'd just cackle to myself and continue down the naughty-road to a minor perdition.

At the moment my "helping others" processes have been curtailed a bit because of that social distancing. No WI wimmin in the shed larnin' woodwork and cooing with pleasure at the wood thing they just made. I miss it. No visits either to the various widders and others left bereft by some inadequate husband letting himself die too early neither. (Only to fix their shelf or pipe (not that pipe) I hasten to add)!

I'm still a collie and ladywife slave though. Is that a help to others or am I just indulging them? :-)

Cugel, wary of the list as my good might be your bad.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Cugel wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Many of the things that unfortunate circumstances are forcing upon us as a society will be useful for a future beyond these difficult and uncertain times. As cyclist many are already practiced by us. For starters, here are a couple or three. Please add for our mutual benefit.

Daily exercise
Idle time: standing and staring
Reading
Looking out of the window
Reducing motorised transport
Planning meals and menus: reducing our shopping trips
Reducing consumption
Being nice
Helping others
Lifetime learning

Ha ha - you're determined to see the good!. In fact I applaud your attitude really and am even a bit envious of it, being as how I've been feeling a bit fed-up with the less-good behaviours and attitudes one may see about the place just now. But that's me becoming part of the problem too, eh!?

Anyroadup, those things in your list are all good. In practice I've been doing all of them for years. Even the traffic reduction can be done by the trick of moving somewhere where there's hardly any. Of course, if we all did that .... :-)

And "being nice"..... Oh, I try and sometimes succeed but I'm only human (partly). Sometimes a bit of nasty can be nice in disguise, mind. The ladywife can emit a nasty critique from time to time and this is effective at making me better rather than worse at summick, see? If she was more gentle, I'd just cackle to myself and continue down the naughty-road to a minor perdition.

At the moment my "helping others" processes have been curtailed a bit because of that social distancing. No WI purposes:

shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible.
one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.
any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person.
travelling for work purposes, but only where you cannot work from home. in the shed larnin' woodwork and cooing with pleasure at the wood thing they just made. I miss it. No visits either to the various widders and others left bereft by some inadequate husband letting himself die too early neither. (Only to fix their shelf or pipe (not that pipe) I hasten to add)!

I'm still a collie and ladywife slave though. Is that a help to others or am I just indulging them? :-)

Cugel, wary of the list as my good might be your bad.

I'm sure you do follow such a life style. I fear most around us in the big wild don't. I know I. Looking at all sorts of ways to further reduce my negative impact and improve my positive.

You are, of course, free to dismiss my hopes as foolish. I will not hold it against you.

Not foolish but definitely tinged with a touch of the wishful thunks. But, as I mentioned, I do envy you your optimism. I use to have some but it seems to have fallen out of a hole in my satchel. Or did a big boy steal it?

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

More wisdom from Robbie Williams, he found himself getting worried about the cv Madness
He accepted it, for he knew it would pass, and so it was
Someone who had an old car explained to me: 'some days it just does not run right, with no apparent reason'. The brain is similar, it has a mind of its own, sometimes
Birds have brains weighing a couple of grams, maybe they do not have room for mental health problems
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:More wisdom from Robbie Williams, he found himself getting worried about the cv Madness
He accepted it, for he knew it would pass, and so it was
Someone who had an old car explained to me: 'some days it just does not run right, with no apparent reason'. The brain is similar, it has a mind of its own, sometimes
Birds have brains weighing a couple of grams, maybe they do not have room for mental health problems

Well, I once knew a mad parrot. Mad? It was generally livid and would indicate this emotion with its beak to your hand or even a claw to the scalp!

But the beasts have a great advantage over the humans (who are also beasts but with added summick). The beasts don't have the sort of language (the added summick) we humans have. If you consider the matter, most human madness arises out of our language and its efflorescence: cultural norms, strictures, religions, ideologies, dogmas, newspap and all the rest.

But there is another form of madness induced by treatments that are cruel and predictable in their regularity, no language involved. Many circus beasts went mad, as do dogs with bad "owners"; and parrots not allowed to do parrot things because of the cage.

Perhaps that's the human problem? We're all in various cultural cages and can't find the door let alone the key to open it. From this point of view, Eton and similar are cruel gaols wherein the inmates are subject to cruel and unusual punishments. When they come out, they are barking barmpots and often Very Kruel themselves.

Cugel, free as a bird (not the parrot).
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Right again Cugel, for I did attend a minor public school :?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Llyfr gorau, cof (Welsh)
The best book: ones memories

I have lots of good memories, cycling, family, encounters, travel, culture, reading, films, concerts. When one is a bit older one sits on a pile of memories. Noted a memory for each day on my calendar for the next couple of months, just a word or two, name, time, place
How should one deal with unpleasant memories? One suggestion was to put them in a bag with some stones and throw them in a lake. I have kept mine in the back of my head so I may learn from them
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thread resurrection alert
10.X is world mental health day
It is also world dog day :wink:
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Thread resurrection alert
10.X is world mental health day
It is also world dog day :wink:

I should get around to reading through this thread. As we go about our daily lives the important of good physical and good mental health really isn’t that understood ...

Sadly my own Dog died a year ago. I can only say that if he was typical of Dogs then they are the best medicine ever; they’re certainly not without costs and inconveniences but I don’t for one moment have regrets about having had a Dog. When the current C19 difficulties have been resolved I’ll be considering whether to and then possibility how to welcome another Dog into my life.

If you are minded to have one then Dogs are a long term commitment (circa fifteen years of responsibility); only get one if you can properly care for it and properly provide for it.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Joining a book discussion forum on the interweb might be worth a try, the Grauniad suggests that is one of the few places one doesnae get into nasty arguments, as one does with ones beloved cycling/sailing/diy/music chums :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thread resurrection alert

Reasons to be cheerful number ###

Joseph Robinette Bidon Jr and Kamala Harris just cheered up millions of people :wink: