I do love safety cameras!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Lance Dopestrong

Re: I do love safety cameras!

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Cunobelin wrote:The most woeful argument ever is the "revenue claim".

It is not revenue, that implies the system is designed to have an income, and the claim is deeply flawed.

A bit like putting a box on a street corner.... everyone has the choice whether to stick £60 in it or not. The actual revenue stream is designed to be zero.

They are voluntary donations ... an "idiot tax".

As for damage and repair.... congratulations, it merely diverts the budget away from other areas such as schools, and other local facilities

It has the same credibility as shoplifters and muggers destroying CCTV cameras

But then again the "Gilet Jaunes" (UK Branch) need something to do when not bullying and threatening women or being racist

This had me nodding sagely in agreement. But then that's the country that turns a blind eye to convicted drink driving, albeit in a voiture sans permis - oh dear, drink driving is terribly bad, but not that bad, eh?
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

As an addition to some earlier posts — tall lorries often get jammed on Connel Bridge near Oban where the height limit is clearly marked at 4.2 metres. Average speed cameras on the A9 north of Perth have apparently reduced the accident rate considerably. Cyclists and pedestrians can usually get past the bridge jam unless they are actively removing the offending lorry.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Once wrecked, speed cameras round our way stay wrecked.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5764036 ... 6?hl=en-GB

This one has been trashed for years. I know that, but I still check my speed when I see it, so it does some good.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote:Once wrecked, speed cameras round our way stay wrecked.

This one has been trashed for years. I know that, but I still check my speed when I see it, so it does some good.

Dear me -it's next to a school, for goodness sake - the same school there are multiple vehicles parked on double yellows around. I guess we could just breed a few more, eh?
gaz

Post by gaz »

Cunobelin wrote:I think a bleedin' great HGV wedged in a tunnel or bridge is sufficient... can't see what a camera would add to that

11foot8.com
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bonefishblues wrote:
pwa wrote:Once wrecked, speed cameras round our way stay wrecked.

Dear me -it's next to a school, for goodness sake - the same school there are multiple vehicles parked on double yellows around. I guess we could just breed a few more, eh?

In practice I find vehicles are going pretty slow there anyway because of the corner, the parked cars and the knowledge that a bus could be coming the other way.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

How may I express my love for safety cameras?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

The term "safety camera" has been in use here in Victoria Australia for so long that I think we may have invented it.

Big bruvver her has number plate recogition in the cameras so those who infringe for speeding, running red lights etc just receive a letter in the mail a week or two later demanding money with menaces.

We only have a singlr family car which is registered in my name yet it is my wife who is usually caught which means that I have to fill out a special form each time to dob her in.

Too many strikes in a short period can result in losing your drivers licence.

Mike
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Mike, Too many folk blame the presence of a camera for their pain, doh! As stated Idiot Trap in most cases.
But occasionally one finds one of the very naughty, thoughtless placement of cameras, not many one should add.
But the illogical variance of speed targets can be bloody stupid, one case in North Wales was shortly after a roundabout. 50 limit before roundabout, 40 immediately after (OK), but 250 yard later it drops to 30 mph? Why not 30 mph from the roundabout??
The pain comes from the camera hidden 5 yards after the 30 mph marker, now that is a cash trap! The Chief Constable of that area, The Mad Mullah of the Traffic Taliban, wanted speed cameras concealed in Cat's Eyes?
But I'm too old and slow to be worried these days, but safety should certainly be the priority. IGICB MM
sjs

Post by sjs »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:
This had me nodding sagely in agreement. But then that's the country that turns a blind eye to convicted drink driving, albeit in a voiture sans permis - oh dear, drink driving is terribly bad, but not that bad, eh?

You've lost me. Care to explain?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

sjs wrote:
Lance Dopestrong wrote:

Presumably the French system is being referenced.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Mr Brunstrom of blessed memory, he studied Welsh to A-level, Plus One!

Where might I get camouflage paint to upgrade yellow camera boxes?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

You may care to study Krimineller Schaden in advance, perhaps?
sjs

Post by sjs »

Bonefishblues wrote:
sjs wrote:
Lance Dopestrong wrote:

Presumably the French system is being referenced.

Of course. Thanks.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Cunobelin wrote:
Audax67 wrote:Over here they're called radars by everyone except the government, who call them sources of revenue. A while back our esteemed PM inadvertently confirmed this when he condemned gilets jaunes who had nobbled a significant number of them for messing up his budget, since apart from the expense of replacing them, the sabotaged devices couldn't catch the number of drivers expected to get caught by the new 80 kph speed limit.

The most woeful argument ever is the "revenue claim".

It is not revenue, that implies the system is designed to have an income, and the claim is deeply flawed.

Aye well, Edouard Philippe tipped his hand when he let slip that he had expected the 10 kph reduction in speed limit to bring in more lolly. It did, too. Trouble is that his excuse was that he wanted to save lives (and when do politicians want to do that except as an excuse for making or saving money?) and road deaths are on the rise.

The figure quoted for increased revenue was 335,000 € / year. It was earmarked for hospitals that treated road deaths but of course it has to transit via the state's coffers first...
Have we got time for another cuppa?