I do love safety cameras!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

I do love safety cameras!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do love safety cameras, speed cameras, average speed cameras, red-light cameras

Cycled by one once, it flashed as a speeding criminal whizzed by, I let out a spontaneous howl of joy

Cameras reduce speed, catch offenders, save lives, I love cameras

Bet most on here agree with me
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Audax67

Re: I do love safety cameras!

Post by Audax67 »

One UAF Audax I did, our 20-strong pack set one off. It was in the dark and we all had lights - I reckon it was some kind of stroboscopic effect with reflections off spokes. We definitely weren't doing over 90 kph.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe it was a smart camera, a group of twenty doing 20 kmh = 400 kmh :wink:
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi all, I think we need another kind of safety camera? Our railways suffer around 2'000 bridge strikes per year, motorways also suffer a fair number. Our A & B roads also see many, many such strikes. Now we have suffered a new type - a tall vehicle driven by a so-called "Professional Driver" has managed to jam his wagon into the lighting on the roof in the Birkenhead Queensway Tunnel! As large HGV's are banned from that tunnel his offence is even greater.
Very few drivers who hit railway bridges face prosecution, probably as few who strike similar structures get brought to book?
But the Queensway Tunnel Closure may cause serious disruption, after all it will have to undergo a strict structural inspection. Might cause a very wet passage for slow cyclists?
Coming Sunday the Kingsway Tunnel, Liverpool - Wallasey, is due to close to allow a charity 10 K foot race. That must surely be in doubt???
So should every offender have to face a court & the consequences, I think so. Agree or not? IGICB MM
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I occasionally set off the SID in the next village, although I'm not up to blasting through at dodgy speeds these days.

As an aside, why are they called safety cameras when they don't zap people who are driving safely? They should stop pandering to the poor hard done by and downtrodden motoring fringe group and call a gardening implement a gardening implement.
Last edited by Lance Dopestrong on 12 Apr 2019, 7:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thread drift again MM :wink:
I saw some overheight trucks on the pennine m62, I guess they are very restricted where they can/may go
Little-known fact: the Botley Road bridge by the station in Oxford is lower than standard so double-decker buses there are squeezed, they are not as high as in London
Why do you love 'danger cameras'?
Lance Dopestrong

Danger Cameras. I like it. Sounds kinda sexy.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Over here they're called radars by everyone except the government, who call them sources of revenue. A while back our esteemed PM inadvertently confirmed this when he condemned gilets jaunes who had nobbled a significant number of them for messing up his budget, since apart from the expense of replacing them, the sabotaged devices couldn't catch the number of drivers expected to get caught by the new 80 kph speed limit.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
pwa

Post by pwa »

merseymouth wrote:Hi all, I think we need another kind of safety camera? Our railways suffer around 2'000 bridge strikes per year, motorways also suffer a fair number. Our A & B roads also see many, many such strikes. Now we have suffered a new type - a tall vehicle driven by a so-called "Professional Driver" has managed to jam his wagon into the lighting on the roof in the Birkenhead Queensway Tunnel! As large HGV's are banned from that tunnel his offence is even greater.
Very few drivers who hit railway bridges face prosecution, probably as few who strike similar structures get brought to book?
But the Queensway Tunnel Closure may cause serious disruption, after all it will have to undergo a strict structural inspection. Might cause a very wet passage for slow cyclists?
Coming Sunday the Kingsway Tunnel, Liverpool - Wallasey, is due to close to allow a charity 10 K foot race. That must surely be in doubt???
So should every offender have to face a court & the consequences, I think so. Agree or not? IGICB MM

I have driven vehicles too high to go under some very low bridges and you do have to keep your eyes peeled for warnings of low bridges, and remember what you are driving. I always spotted potentially too low bridges and aborted before getting close to problems, but it is an extra skill that most motorists are never asked to deal with. And most drivers of high vehicles are getting it right in the great majority of cases.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

They are speed cameras.Not "safety" cameras.You get a fine for exceeding the speed limit not the "safety" limit.They are just another Tax on the already over-taxed population.
Save lives?Debatable.
Drivers slow down just before them then speed up straight after them.
I'd like to meet the person who keeps setting the one on Rivellin Valley Road(Sheffield) on fire.He's my kind of guy(or girl) 8)
They've removed two locally.The official line is they're doing their job.....which means they weren't making any money.They've replaced them with pointless speed bumps that you can easily drive over at double the speed limit :roll:

There are many ways to fool the cameras if you look into it :wink:
Lance Dopestrong

Audax67 wrote:Over here they're called radars by everyone except the government, who call them sources of revenue. A while back our esteemed PM inadvertently confirmed this when he condemned gilets jaunes who had nobbled a significant number of them for messing up his budget, since apart from the expense of replacing them, the sabotaged devices couldn't catch the number of drivers expected to get caught by the new 80 kph speed limit.

Alas, over here they cost more to run and administer than they get back through penalties. Indeed, the average speed cameras bring in so many offenders they can't administer them all. What they do is each morning they check the previous days stats, knock off the very worst speeders with a ticket, and then send tickets to a speed band set wherever the average worst offenders are that day. The smart motorway average speed cameras do finger people speeding when there is no variable limit in force, but as above, they only ticket the very worst offenders because they are simply swamped, so only the real Roger Ramjets ever get done. Surely in this day and age it could all be automated, but the Government has to ok that, and they don't want to be seen as persecuting 'innocent' motorists fir fear if alienating their voters.

One place where the police do make money though is on running the speed awareness courses, but the revenue is strictly controlled and audited and must only be spent on road safety related things. That's why you'll see hard working response bobbies in tatty Astras with 120k on the clock, but Roads Policing Specials will be out in shiny new XC70's with guccu shiny uniform and kit.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Lance Dopestrong wrote: That's why you'll see hard working response bobbies in tatty Astras with 120k on the clock, but Roads Policing Specials will be out in shiny new XC70's with guccu shiny uniform and kit.

Top end BMWs/Volvos in South Yorkshire.
Traffic Wardens in expensive motors :x
Lost count of how many have passed me on the M1 doing well over 100mph with no lights on :roll: I like to accelerate and follow them...what can they do?Nothing as they're breaking the law too :lol:
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

merseymouth wrote:Hi all, I think we need another kind of safety camera? Our railways suffer around 2'000 bridge strikes per year, motorways also suffer a fair number. Our A & B roads also see many, many such strikes. Now we have suffered a new type - a tall vehicle driven by a so-called "Professional Driver" has managed to jam his wagon into the lighting on the roof in the Birkenhead Queensway Tunnel! As large HGV's are banned from that tunnel his offence is even greater.

I think a bleedin' great HGV wedged in a tunnel or bridge is sufficient... can't see what a camera would add to that
Last edited by Cunobelin on 13 Apr 2019, 12:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Audax67 wrote:Over here they're called radars by everyone except the government, who call them sources of revenue. A while back our esteemed PM inadvertently confirmed this when he condemned gilets jaunes who had nobbled a significant number of them for messing up his budget, since apart from the expense of replacing them, the sabotaged devices couldn't catch the number of drivers expected to get caught by the new 80 kph speed limit.

The most woeful argument ever is the "revenue claim".

It is not revenue, that implies the system is designed to have an income, and the claim is deeply flawed.

A bit like putting a box on a street corner.... everyone has the choice whether to stick £60 in it or not. The actual revenue stream is designed to be zero.

They are voluntary donations ... an "idiot tax".

As for damage and repair.... congratulations, it merely diverts the budget away from other areas such as schools, and other local facilities

It has the same credibility as shoplifters and muggers destroying CCTV cameras

But then again the "Gilet Jaunes" (UK Branch) need something to do when not bullying and threatening women or being racist
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Cunobelin wrote:

I think a bleedin' great HGV wedged in a tunnel or bridge is sufficient... can't see what a camera would add to that

Made me laugh but an excellent point.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker