Extinction Rebellion

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
irc

Re: Extinction Rebellion

Post by irc »

thirdcrank wrote:
bovlomov wrote: ... I thought 'going limp' was an offence in itself - effectively resisting arrest. ...

That's something I've not heard of before, although that means nothing. Is there some basis for your comment? (Genuine interest on my part here.)

Going limp is nothing new,. A standard and perfectly valid peaceful protest tactic. Used for decades, for example at the Faslane ant-nuclear protests as far back as the 1980s. Police briefings included the instruction that 4 officers were to be used to carry arrestees who went limp. Any fewer than 4 risked injury to the protester or the officers. Nothing to do police being heavy handed as some have suggested. All about public and officer safety.

The most frequent charge at demos was breach of the peace. To the best of my knowledge going limp was never charged as obstruction. Scots law though. English law may be different.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

reohn2 wrote:

Wind up,I thought as much.
Thanks for your contribution.

Not really, Mrs Thatcher dedicating her UN speech specifically to Climate Change some 30 years ago shows that whatever your political persuasion, back then the hated Tories were taking the lead on the world stage. Highly subsidised Solar Panels have resulted in technological advances which has reduced costs and made Solar affordable in the UK. Thats why subsidies are no longer necessary. Despite this large Solar Farms are still being built.

Her answer to Climate Change was to invest in technological progress not to try turning the clock back as some protesters imagine. At the start of human history a days labour could light a room for ten minutes but due to technological advances by the end of the 20th Century a days labour could light a room for 10 years. No doubt we can address other problems in the same positive manner.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

irc wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:
bovlomov wrote: ... I thought 'going limp' was an offence in itself - effectively resisting arrest. ...

That's something I've not heard of before, although that means nothing. Is there some basis for your comment? (Genuine interest on my part here.)

Going limp is nothing new,. A standard and perfectly valid peaceful protest tactic. Used for decades, for example at the Faslane ant-nuclear protests as far back as the 1980s. Police briefings included the instruction that 4 officers were to be used to carry arrestees who went limp. Any fewer than 4 risked injury to the protester or the officers. Nothing to do police being heavy handed as some have suggested. All about public and officer safety.

The most frequent charge at demos was breach of the peace. To the best of my knowledge going limp was never charged as obstruction. Scots law though. English law may be different.

One does whether in the case of. specific individual, you would have grounds for a civil claim for costs or losses
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Anyone tried 'virtual tourism'?

Google Earth with a VR headset.
It's really quite good. You get a proper sense of scale, can look around etc. Quality isn't great particularly at street level but it's early days...
(I've even had a walk round my own garden for a virtual 'staycation' ;) )

You can visit pretty much any part of the globe you want and look at it from street level or simply fly over for that 'small aeroplane' feel.
Not everywhere has 3D models of the city but a decent chunk of the places you might want to visit do.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

kwackers wrote:Anyone tried 'virtual tourism'?

It's really quite good. You get a proper sense of scale, can look around etc. Quality isn't great particularly at street level but it's early days...

You can visit pretty much any part of the globe you want and look at it from street level or simply fly over for that 'small aeroplane' feel.
Not everywhere has 3D models of the city but a decent chunk of the places you might want to visit do.

Reading about a place often leaves a longer lasting impression than going there.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Being somewhere is about the locals, the smells, the environment, the history, the culture....

I could save you lots of money if you gave up your bike, and did the same thing... virtual cycling

Here you go, a cycling trip to the Alps:

[youtube]fR3iukLteCY[/youtube]
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

bovlomov wrote:

Reading about a place often leaves a longer lasting impression than going there.

However, both are a far better way.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

bovlomov wrote: ... It's something I've been told by someone familiar with protests - a person who usually knows their rights, so I assumed it was true.

I don't have any other source though.

Taking this at its simplest, for somebody to be lawfully arrested, there has to be a reason which precedes the arrest, perhaps by years, perhaps only seconds. The detained person's subsequent conduct may amount to further offences but it cannot be the only reason for the arrest. ie It's impossible to arrest somebody lawfully for simply resisting arrest. That's not to say it's never been tried, I suppose. (You are under arrest on suspicion of being about to resist arrest.)

Having said that, gracefully arresting and removing somebody who just flops is extraordinarily difficult, but I cannot see how it would amount to resisting arrest, even as a secondary matter.
======================================================
PS In an attempt to make it simple, I omitted the long-standing power of arrest to prevent the commission of a serious offence. That doesn't alter my underlying point.
Last edited by thirdcrank on 19 Apr 2019, 12:39pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

I have to say that such virtual tourism would appeal to me far more than going to places physically. The reasons are many (including the green ones of avoiding aeroplane journeys etc.) but include a distaste for the notion of peering at other people's lives and place in an obtrusive manner. Presumably the virtual tourism means those in the virtual world being toured are only peered at once in the flesh by a drone camera. And don't have to put up with the physical presence of a load of loud-mouthed gawping shutter-pressers.

On the other hand, would you want the world and his brats touring your front garden as you sunbathed in it, even if they only viewed a video copy of you down a wire.........?

Anyroadup, I somehow always manage/d to find so much pleasure in where I live/d that I feel no great need to go touring about elsewhere gawping at this and that. One can see such a lot from any 50 mile bike ride from home and back. Well, one can here. Perhaps those in central Londingham and similar urban sprawls feel there is insufficient variety in their 50 mile views of urbania? One MacFud emporium after another, eh? And a zillion ticky-tacky houses all made just the same. :-)

Cugel, probably too parochial.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

We are so lucky, we need not travel, we can read about queer places in books while staying at home, why there are even travel programmes on the tivi!

How does one go limp or unlimp?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The other "cost" to Virtual Tourism is to decimate the income for many countries and cities.

Some countries rely on tourism for over 40% of the country's income.

Take that away and there is mass poverty, destitution and hardship
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Cugel wrote:Cugel, probably too parochial.

Travel is supposed to broaden the mind, and sometimes it does, but I can't say I've noticed any correlation concerning the broad-minded and the well-travelled.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

London makes a lot from tourists who love the Queen, they come from all over, but does it produce/export much food?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Cunobelin wrote:The other "cost" to Virtual Tourism is to decimate the income for many countries and cities.

Some countries rely on tourism for over 40% of the country's income.

Take that away and there is mass poverty, destitution and hardship

Presumably, no one would suggest the total and immediate abolition of tourism.

It seems to be quite unhealthy that any economy should rely on tourism to that extent. In many cases (e.g. Venice) the locals would welcome a reduction. Tourism is destroying the very thing tourists come to see.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Cyril Haearn wrote:London makes a lot from tourists who love the Queen, they come from all over, but does it produce/export much food?

Yes. We make and export artisan gin. Or, at least, we stick our own labels on and say it's produced here.