Single Use Plastics

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
philvantwo

Re: Single Use Plastics

Post by philvantwo »

You can still get wooden pegs Mick F!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not seen any for years in the shops here.
Could be wrong though, as I may have not looked properly.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

40 for £1 at B&M or 36 for £1 at Wilko! Do you want me to send some down to you Mick F?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

B&M eh?
We'll no doubt be in one of them in the next few days.

Shopping Morrisons and Lidl later today. We'll have a look ....... or one of us will, as the other will remain in the car with our new puppy, Sailor! :D We don't want to leave him alone for a week or three yet.
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

You could be spending a lot at 'Pets at Home' too :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No, too expensive. Have you been in one and priced things up? Nice stuff, and a huge range, but pricey.
Local pet shops here are far better value.
We'll be in Ron's Pet Supplies later for parrot food and dog bikkies.
https://www.ronspets.co.uk
Ron passed away a few years ago, but his shop is still going strong. We knew Ron well and he's sadly missed.

Any road up, this is mega-thread-drift! :lol:

Back to plastic pegs.
We have a basket with maybe a couple of dozen of them. They crack from time-to-time no doubt due to UV rays from the daylight. We've had a chat about this thread. We won't be replacing them as they fail, and be replenishing with wooden ones.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Just pegged out the washing with wooden pegs we have had for donkeys years and still going strong. You dont see Romany door knockers with pegs these days, or knife grinders, or Johny Onion, Avon ladies, Mormons, Jehovas Witnesses, Corona man, shrimps and prawns etc. Lack of enterprise these days.... :?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

You could always make your own pegs Mick F, all those trees you cut down and that box of old trampoline springs you've kept! :lol: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Whittling is a sort of therapeutic occupation in the boring afternoons maybe?

............... and how do you know I still have those springs?
Yes, I still have them ............... no-one has suggested a good idea as yet what I should do with them, but making pegs using them would be a bit of overkill.
Mick F. Cornwall
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

NUKe wrote:I agree with you one hundred about single use plastics.
Just bought 10 bamboo tooth brushes to do my bit,( yes I know they still have plastic bristles, but that’s a lot less plastic.
How often do you go through brushes? Apparently, the recommendation is to change them every 6 months!

I am sure I can get 5 years out of one and they (and my teeth) seem no worse for it. If you follow guidelines you're expected to get through 10 toothbrushes in that time.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Freddie wrote:
NUKe wrote:I agree with you one hundred about single use plastics.
Just bought 10 bamboo tooth brushes to do my bit,( yes I know they still have plastic bristles, but that’s a lot less plastic.
How often do you go through brushes? Apparently, the recommendation is to change them every 6 months!

I am sure I can get 5 years out of one and they (and my teeth) seem no worse for it. If you follow guidelines you're expected to get through 10 toothbrushes in that time.

You assumed I bought 10 toothbrushes for myself, They will be used by the family as and when they need them.
NUKe

Post by Freddie »

as and when being...how often? i wonder if the bristles separate from the brush head quicker when the brush is bamboo. it is difficult trying to be eco-friendly, that much is true.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

[XAP]Bob wrote:One reason veg are 'over wrapped' in plastic is that it extends shelf life - and therefore reduces waste.

There have been some 'studies' that show that there is less waste when fruit and veg are packaged, but they neglect to mention, that most of this waste is merely transferred to the consumer. I have seldom, for example, opened a package of tomatoes, and found that all were intact and useable after washing. Most of the time, I at least have to cut a spot or two off, and I regularly find that between 10 & 20% of the tomato(es) are unuseable.

Fruit and veg have their own natural packaging.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

About 10 years ago I bought Mrs.Copy a small plastic thingy to aid in peeling oranges.
It's a ring shaped object with a projection on one side to cut through the peel and then a rounded end to lever the peel off.

The thing is, it's so small that invariably it gets left with the peel, which then gets disposed of in the compost bin.
We'd not seen it for a couple of years, but when I was creating a nice fine tilth to sow some carrots last week, I spotted it on the raised bed.

It was duly washed and re-presented to Mrs.C as an anniversary gift :lol: and she happily used it over the last few days.
This morning, she stated that it's gone missing again and is no doubt back in the compost bin for another cycle.

Obviously this item is not classed as single use plastic, as it seems to be on a never ending roundabout of use. :mrgreen:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Freddie wrote:as and when being...how often? i wonder if the bristles separate from the brush head quicker when the brush is bamboo. it is difficult trying to be eco-friendly, that much is true.

Thread resurrection alert

I use old toothbrushes for cleaning my cycles
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies