Single Use Plastics

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: Single Use Plastics

Post by mjr »

NUKe wrote:I agree with you one hundred about single use plastics.
Just bought 10 bamboo tooth brushes to do my bit,( yes I know they still have plastic bristles, but that’s a lot less plastic. Unfortunately they turned up wrapped in bubble wrap inside a plastic posting envelope.
We use local greengrocers to reduce packaging as much as practical for fruit and veg.

+1.

I recently got a wood and cactus bristle washing up brush from ecovibe. It works well, lasting better than the last two plastic ones we had, plus you can turn the head to even wear and then replace the head when it's worn out. I think it turned up in paper packaging which is easier to recycle but I'm not sure.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Freddie wrote:as and when being...how often? i wonder if the bristles separate from the brush head quicker when the brush is bamboo. it is difficult trying to be eco-friendly, that much is true.

Thread resurrection alert

I use old toothbrushes for cleaning my cycles

I use toothbrushes to clean out any foreign matter between the links on my watch bracelets and it acts as an abrasive element causing ‘stretch’. Ideally the softer bristle one works best.

Look be a long time to find ones that used no plastics at all in both their construction and packaging.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

One thing really annoyed me recently. (One of many, but this stands out).

For our house in France (which we hope to dispose of soon :roll: ) we pay two slices of residential tax (equivalent to our Council Tax). One of them's called Taxe d'Habitation, the other's called Taxe Foncière, but both have to be paid. We settle them by Direct Debit, but nevertheless we still get sent paper reminders with a demand to sign and post back a tear-off "TIP" as evidence that we still hold the debited account.

Last year one of these reminders was sent in a plastic envelope, instead of the usual paper one. I have no idea why, but we mistook it for junk mail and put it aside to be binned. It was only weeks later that Mrs P discovered it whilst sorting out stuff for recycling - and by then we were well overdue for returning this TIP thingy.

Well I sent it off at once, feeling a bit worried because some neighbours of us had told us, they'd also been late returning the TIP and were fined in consequence. However I checked my French account today, the nominal amount has indeed been debited but no fine levied. So I think I've got away with it.

Moral: have a good look at any mail packed in plastic - even if it does look like junk!

And why plastic? At least paper (well some of it) is recyclable. I believe there's a problem with 'window' envelopes, perhaps someone can elaborate?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
peetee

Post by peetee »

In Southampton they are very selective about what plastic can be recycled. They divide them into types of container rather than the numerical system stamped on the product. This causes a great deal of confusion and, it has to be said, a degree of cynicism and apathy as the same code numbers can be found on allowed and excluded items. I like to feel I am doing my bit and not spoiling the ship for a ha’peth of tar.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.