Mamil bikes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
atoz
Posts: 338
Joined: 5 Jan 2007, 4:50pm

Mamil bikes

Postby atoz » 18 Apr 2019, 12:44pm

Or maybe called "sportive bikes". Either way, there seems to be a definite trend here:

1. Fast frames with racing pretensions but slightly modified eg more relaxed geometry for sportive riders.
2. All carbon
3. Clearance for wider tyres only possible without mudguards- but in any case no mudguard eyes.
4. On the lastest- disc brakes.
5, Any colour you like as long as it's black.

Spotted a few of this variant at a local cafe- largely Ribble. All black with black lettering. But interesting that they were sporting wider tyres, and in one case a Vittoria Randonneur 32mm- not the obvious choice for a sportive bike (I use these on my ancient CB touring bike which serves as a commuter iron).

If you need as wide covers as this on a performance bike, it begs questions as to the ride quality. In the days of steel frames, 23mm for a performance bike was pretty much de rigeur. I still have a bike of this type (Reynolds 531C tubing) and you can ride comfortably all day on 23mm. Even by modern standards this bike is no tractor. On my more modern bike I use 25mm which is quite adequate.

So basically you get a fast bike with a harsh ride that you need to use fatter tyres with- in a dismal black colour. Great. Not interested..

amediasatex
Posts: 657
Joined: 2 Nov 2015, 12:51pm
Location: Sunny Devon! just East of the Moor

Re: Mamil bikes

Postby amediasatex » 18 Apr 2019, 12:46pm

This thread will go well...

PH
Posts: 7114
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Mamil bikes

Postby PH » 18 Apr 2019, 12:56pm

atoz wrote:So basically you get a fast bike with a harsh ride that you need to use fatter tyres with- in a dismal black colour. Great. Not interested..

So it's simple - don't buy one.
But who says you need the fatter tyres? Tech has moved on, there's plenty of evidence that for most riders there's no disadvantage to wider tyres, so why not have them?
Have a read of this
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... sizeweight

And - people on bikes is good, why do you have to be so tribal? They don't have to make the same choices as you, doesn't make them in any way inferior, just different.

e20rod
Posts: 7
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 3:03pm

Re: Mamil bikes

Postby e20rod » 18 Apr 2019, 12:58pm

That's the great thing about bikes, there's so much choice! Each to their own....

Regards,

Rod.

Brucey
Posts: 34204
Joined: 4 Jan 2012, 6:25pm

Re: Mamil bikes

Postby Brucey » 18 Apr 2019, 1:01pm

these bikes have some of the attributes -an obvious exception being practicality- of some touring bikes. Their target market wouldn't buy anything that looked like a touring bike in million years and arguably doesn't need practicality (eg mudguards, carrier etc), because they wouldn't choose to be riding in bad weather (or carrying anything) anyway.... :wink:

As for 'needing fatter tyres' yes you might if the frames and forks are built too stiff. But as for them 'having no drawback' they are always heavier and they are also always (like for like) less aerodynamic. You might even save a couple of watts on Crr but this is soon taken away if tractive effort is wasted (no one has really measured this....) and/or the fatter tyres/wheels impose more aero drag.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mig
Posts: 1989
Joined: 19 Oct 2011, 9:39pm

Re: Mamil bikes

Postby mig » 18 Apr 2019, 1:06pm

you have an ancient chris boardman touring bike?

:wink:

atoz
Posts: 338
Joined: 5 Jan 2007, 4:50pm

Re: Mamil bikes

Postby atoz » 18 Apr 2019, 1:17pm

PH wrote:
atoz wrote:So basically you get a fast bike with a harsh ride that you need to use fatter tyres with- in a dismal black colour. Great. Not interested..

So it's simple - don't buy one.
But who says you need the fatter tyres? Tech has moved on, there's plenty of evidence that for most riders there's no disadvantage to wider tyres, so why not have them?
Have a read of this
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... sizeweight

And - people on bikes is good, why do you have to be so tribal? They don't have to make the same choices as you, doesn't make them in any way inferior, just different.


Dont' worry, I won't be buying one. As for being tribal- not really. Just that the days of fast tourers that had practical attributes seem to be numbered. I don't think less of people who buy this sort of bike- just that they're being ripped off.

As for fat tyres. Not all are comfortable- I use Randonneurs myself, and they are quite a hard ride even on a steel frame- I use them because they are very rugged and cope well with crap urban road surfaces when riding to work/shopping.

Those sportive frames, being carbon, will have a limited lifespan. So not only are they less comfortable to ride, you'll be replacing them quite frequently. I think people are being "done up like a kipper"

iandriver
Posts: 2049
Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 2:09pm
Location: Cambridge.

Re: Mamil bikes

Postby iandriver » 18 Apr 2019, 1:40pm

atoz wrote: In the days of steel frames


That would be the mid 1800s and still available today then.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....

scottg
Posts: 604
Joined: 10 Jan 2008, 8:44pm
Location: Highland Heights Kentucky,, USA

Re: Mamil bikes

Postby scottg » 18 Apr 2019, 2:06pm

amediasatex wrote:This thread will go well...


Maybe the CTC can come with some "Not Approved for CTC use" stickers
we can put on such bikes ?

wpfe550d4f_05_06.jpg
wpfe550d4f_05_06.jpg (62.09 KiB) Viewed 517 times
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Why not the best, buy Cyclo-Benelux.

roubaixtuesday
Posts: 1882
Joined: 18 Aug 2015, 7:05pm

Re: Mamil bikes

Postby roubaixtuesday » 18 Apr 2019, 2:15pm

atoz wrote:Those sportive frames, being carbon, will have a limited lifespan. So not only are they less comfortable to ride, you'll be replacing them quite frequently. I think people are being "done up like a kipper"


Fascinating.

I have a specialised Roubaix not dissimilar to these contemptible machines. I've had it nearly 10 years, done 10s of 1000s of miles. It's a joy to ride, never had any issue with the frame, so not sure what you think of as "frequently".

I'm not feeling done up like anything.

These bikes can be terrific value for what they are compared to what was traditionally available 30+ years ago.

Just be pleased that so many people are out riding them - if you prefer a different type of machine great, vive la difference!

whoof
Posts: 1719
Joined: 29 Apr 2014, 2:13pm

Re: Mamil bikes

Postby whoof » 18 Apr 2019, 3:09pm

atoz wrote:Or maybe called "sportive bikes". Either way, there seems to be a definite trend here:

1. Fast frames with racing pretensions but slightly modified eg more relaxed geometry for sportive riders.
2. All carbon
3. Clearance for wider tyres only possible without mudguards- but in any case no mudguard eyes.
4. On the lastest- disc brakes.
5, Any colour you like as long as it's black.

Spotted a few of this variant at a local cafe- largely Ribble. All black with black lettering.


Where have you been for the past few years?

PH
Posts: 7114
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: Mamil bikes

Postby PH » 18 Apr 2019, 3:42pm

scottg wrote:Maybe the CTC can come with some "Not Approved for CTC use" stickers
we can put on such bikes ?

All bikes are welcome on the CTC Member Group rides I do.

peetee
Posts: 1280
Joined: 4 May 2010, 10:20pm

Re: Mamil bikes

Postby peetee » 18 Apr 2019, 6:35pm

A lot of MAMILs have moved to two wheels having previously parked their four wheels in the golf club car park where the boot badge reigns supreme. For them having the right motor was dictated by social convention not personal suitability. I suspect they have made the same choice with their bikes.
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.

rmurphy195
Posts: 1338
Joined: 20 May 2011, 11:23am
Location: South Birmingham

Re: Mamil bikes

Postby rmurphy195 » 18 Apr 2019, 6:56pm

peetee wrote:A lot of MAMILs have moved to two wheels having previously parked their four wheels in the golf club car park where the boot badge reigns supreme. For them having the right motor was dictated by social convention not personal suitability. I suspect they have made the same choice with their bikes.


There's another type of MAMIL on two wheels - watch some of Henry Cole's programs! (Middle Aged Men In Leather)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and grey hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

Jamesh
Posts: 448
Joined: 2 Jan 2017, 5:56pm

Re: Mamil bikes

Postby Jamesh » 18 Apr 2019, 7:41pm

roubaixtuesday wrote:
atoz wrote:Those sportive frames, being carbon, will have a limited lifespan. So not only are they less comfortable to ride, you'll be replacing them quite frequently. I think people are being "done up like a kipper"


Fascinating.

I have a specialised Roubaix not dissimilar to these contemptible machines. I've had it nearly 10 years, done 10s of 1000s of miles. It's a joy to ride, never had any issue with the frame, so not sure what you think of as "frequently".

I'm not feeling done up like anything.


These bikes can be terrific value for what they are compared to what was traditionally available 30+ years ago.

Just be pleased that so many people are out riding them - if you prefer a different type of machine great, vive la difference!


I too have a ten year old Cannondale.
Bullet proof bike, a bit heavy for a carbon bike much like a Boardman carbon tbh

Rides nice and solid descends on rails.

Has more scratches than is presentable to the cafe crew.

I have often thought to swap it with a new supersix but then could I treat it with such punishment as I regularly do?

Cheers James