Notre Dame....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Notre Dame....

Postby 661-Pete » 20 Apr 2019, 3:28pm

We were just setting off on our return from France (not via Paris) when news of the fire broke - we picked up a garbled report - later our landlady at the B&B filled us in on the details.

Now that the dust (ash) has settled and the 'wailing and gnashing of teeth' has subsided a bit, is it time to look at this with a bit of perspective?

Of course it is a tragedy that such a famous and historic building has been badly damaged - but it could have been much worse. As far as I can tell there were no casualties (even the bees hived on the roof survived!). Buildings can be, and have been, re-built. Many famous icons exist today as a consequence of a re-build following fire (think: St Pauls).

And - despite the best efforts of companies like the one I used to work for, to protect these places against such an event - fires do break out quite regularly. Often involving historic buildings: here in the UK I can think of Parnham House, Dorset (2017); Uppark, Sussex (1989), and Clandon Park House, Surrey (2015). I suppose Windsor Castle (1992) should go on the list as well.

Furthermore, there are now arguments erupting in France, about the enormous fund (crowdfunding?) for ND repairs, whilst other historic buildings in France, including many churches, which are also in urgent need of repairs, get nothing. The Gilets Jaunes have, not surprisingly, picked up on this...

So how do I feel now. Shocked when first hearing about ND, of course, but now a bit more pragmatic. Grenfell Tower was a building of no architectural or historic interest, yet it claimed 72 lives. Means more to me than ND...

Excuse the cynicism...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

Oldjohnw

Re: Notre Dame....

Postby Oldjohnw » 20 Apr 2019, 5:24pm

A couple of billionaires gave over €200m within 24 hours. The homeless are a different problem and there is no money available.
John

Cycling and recycling

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Apr 2019, 5:32pm

Oldjohnw wrote:A couple of billionaires gave over €200m within 24 hours. The homeless are a different problem and there is no money available.

And that is the sad fact of the matter.
I wonder if the the billionaires in question are trying to buy their way into heaven :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 20 Apr 2019, 5:42pm

reohn2 wrote:And that is the sad fact of the matter.
I wonder if the the billionaires in question are trying to buy their way into heaven :?

The original builders were.

Ben@Forest

Postby Ben@Forest » 20 Apr 2019, 5:48pm

Oldjohnw wrote:A couple of billionaires gave over €200m within 24 hours. The homeless are a different problem and there is no money available.

Notre Dame will have been built and refurbished (much of it was restored in the 19C) when there were plenty of poor people so there is little difference today.

If the state said it would pay (and apparently it belongs to the French state not the Catholic Church) there would be howls of anguish. Now rich people are offering to pay there are howls of anguish.

Having said all that the fact that the rich can afford to find this money at the drop of a hat will only add to the Gilets Jaunes grievances about inequality.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Apr 2019, 5:55pm

Mike Sales wrote:
reohn2 wrote:And that is the sad fact of the matter.

The original builders were.

Quite!
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 20 Apr 2019, 5:57pm

Ben@Forest wrote: there are howls of anguish.

To use such a pejorative term for moderately expressed criticism does not strengthen your case.

merseymouth

Postby merseymouth » 20 Apr 2019, 6:06pm

Hi all, In Liverpool we have St Luke's Church, that was fully ventilated by the Luftwaffe, part of Hitler's clearance scheme.
It was stabilized and a temporary wooden church erected within for use at that time. Since the end of the emergency/war it has remained open as a monument. It occasionally gets used for open ir film shows.
Al Fresco services might prove popular? MM

hondated

Postby hondated » 20 Apr 2019, 6:50pm

+1

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 20 Apr 2019, 6:59pm

Utterly +1 from me too.

It's obscene that a church should attract such funding for restoration when there are far better causes in the world ....... let alone France.

Obscene.
Mick F. Cornwall

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 20 Apr 2019, 7:45pm

hondated wrote:

+1

I think they pledged to give cash, means nothing, and what if more is pledged than needed to rebuild the MacRon memorial church? :?
Bet plenty of homeless people in Paris could use the cash
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 20 Apr 2019, 8:12pm

Have to admit l'm leaving my pension funds to Durham Cathedral (NB. The building). While it's true that there's been a huge increase in homelessness in NE England during the past ten years with a visible effect on the streets, have to admit I couldn't give a ....

While I'm not a Christian, the building and environment are of far greater importance than flotsam. While I'm clear that there are some genuine stories, the majority are....

pwa

Postby pwa » 20 Apr 2019, 8:22pm

I must admit that as Gothic cathedrals go, Notre Dame was never one of my favourites. York Minster knocks spots off it. Even in France, Chartres has a more impressive cathedral. But like all such ancient cathedrals it is important because of its long history. Ancient buildings are life enhancing, especially when, as in this case, we are talking about a building with free entry for everyone.

I'm not a Christian, but I am happy for public money to go to these buildings. In the same way I am not a Pagan but approve of taxes going to pay for the upkeep of Stone Henge.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 20 Apr 2019, 8:26pm

Anyone else remember the fire at York Minster?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

hondated

Postby hondated » 20 Apr 2019, 8:42pm

brynpoeth wrote:Anyone else remember the fire at York Minster?

I do and Windsor castle.
Call me a philistine but as sad as it is to lose part of this country's history it's gone so live with it.
Reminds me of Trigger in Fools & Horses when he said he had had the same broom for years although it had been fitted at various times with a new head & handle.