Notre Dame....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
gbnz

Re: Notre Dame....

Post by gbnz »

pwa wrote: Ancient buildings are life enhancing, especially when, as in this case, we are talking about a building with free entry for everyone.

And not just the buildings, the services inside.

Durham Cathedral 10.00am Matins, 11.15am Eucharist (Sung) and Evening Song at 15.30 tomorrow. Life enhancing, though hitting the 11.15am deadline will require a 07.00am departure by bike (Nb. 100 mile round journey), possibly Evening Song by bus will be more practical (Nb. Though it's a 6Hr FOC bus journey, plus delays :? ). Suppose the service attended will depend upon the time I wake
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gbnz wrote:Have to admit l'm leaving my pension funds to Durham Cathedral (NB. The building). While it's true that there's been a huge increase in homelessness in NE England during the past ten years with a visible effect on the streets, have to admit I couldn't give a ....

While I'm not a Christian, the building and environment are of far greater importance than flotsam. While I'm clear that there are some genuine stories, the majority are....

I find that the most incredible statement.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Despite my earlier post I have no problems with these very rich people helping finance the repair. But remember that their gift in relation to their wealth is apparently the equivalent of someone with £3000 in the bank giving £1.

That means that both the repair of an iconic building and providing for the needs of the homeless could be addressed.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Grauniad reports that there are thousands of little churches needing repairs in France
I feel much closer to the Lord alone in a small church than in a cathedral with hundreds of tourists
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

reohn2 wrote:
gbnz wrote:Have to admit l'm leaving my pension funds to Durham Cathedral (NB. The building). While it's true that there's been a huge increase in homelessness in NE England during the past ten years with a visible effect on the streets, have to admit I couldn't give a ....

While I'm not a Christian, the building and environment are of far greater importance than flotsam. While I'm clear that there are some genuine stories, the majority are....

Perhaps, but having undertaken works around the people at the base of society, it's abundantly clear that most cause their own problems. One of the realities that I've always enjoyed when living / working outside areas outside deprived areas such as the North East, is the simple reality that people at all levels of society look after themselves (NB. And their neighbours).

Such a pleasant change being down in Yorkshire last year :D

Anyway, back to Notre Dame, the buildings and their environment are important to many
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Anybody know where 14 000 large matured oak tree trunks might be had?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

gbnz wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Perhaps, but having undertaken works around the people at the base of society, it's abundantly clear that most cause their own problems. One of the realities that I've always enjoyed when living / working outside areas outside deprived areas such as the North East, is the simple reality that people at all levels of society look after themselves (NB. And their neighbours).

Such a pleasant change being down in Yorkshire last year :D

Anyway, back to Notre Dame, the buildings and their environment are important to many

Ah! The deserving and undeserving poor.
John
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Anybody know where 14 000 large matured oak tree trunks might be had?

Apparently a series of British estates have already offered trees and France is well populated with deciduous forest, and some of its neighbouring countries too. So l don't think that's in any way impossible.

Of course l am presuming it'll need to be seasoned so if the first trees were felled in autumn then the wood would not be worked on till late 2020 to late 2021. And it's going to take an army of craftsmen. The most ridiculous thing so far is Macron saying it'll be done in 5 years - a politician opens his mouth...
pwa

Post by pwa »

Maybe they will opt for a modern steel roof frame instead. After all, the original roof was only made of timber because they had nothing better. They could ditch the timber and thus avoid another bonfire waiting to happen. It isn't meant to be on show anyway.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Anybody know where 14 000 large matured oak tree trunks might be had?

Apparently a series of British estates have already offered trees and France is well populated with deciduous forest, and some of its neighbouring countries too. So l don't think that's in any way impossible.

Of course l am presuming it'll need to be seasoned so if the first trees were felled in autumn then the wood would not be worked on till late 2020 to late 2021. And it's going to take an army of craftsmen. The most ridiculous thing so far is Macron saying it'll be done in 5 years - a politician opens his mouth...

I thought wood had to be seasoned for a few years (five at least?)
14 000 seems quite a lot
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Large section oak beams and roof trusses are usually constructed of green timber(unseasoned),that's how the original timbers would've been worked and constructed.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

From Wiki:

The cathedral's flèche (or spire), which was destroyed in the April 2019 fire, was located over the transept and altar. The original spire was constructed in the 13th century, probably between 1220 and 1230. It was battered, weakened and bent by the wind over five centuries, and finally was removed in 1786. During the 19th-century restoration, Eugène Viollet-le-Duc decided to recreate it, making a new version of oak covered with lead. The entire spire weighed 750 tons.

The cathedral has a number of times over the centuries fallen into some level of disrepair, sometimes through deliberate destruction.
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

Oldjohnw wrote:From Wiki:

The cathedral's flèche (or spire), which was destroyed in the April 2019 fire,[60] was located over the transept and altar. The original spire was constructed in the 13th century, probably between 1220 and 1230. It was battered, weakened and bent by the wind over five centuries, and finally was removed in 1786. During the 19th-century restoration, Eugène Viollet-le-Duc decided to recreate it, making a new version of oak covered with lead. The entire spire weighed 750 tons.

The cathedral has a number of times over the centuries fallen into some level of disrepair.

I can think of no reason why the spire should not be recreated in modern, lighter and less combustible materials, keeping the same shape. It could be this generation's contribution to the overall structure. And it might be a way of letting more light into a building that was oppressively dark before.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:14 000 seems quite a lot

You're right it is a lot (where did that figure come from btw?), but if they genuinely are restoring it to its original then they should take time over it.

It took 11 years to restore Cologne Cathedral after it was hit by bombs (and later l think tank shells) in WW2, and that was in a condition of having both towers still standing too.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The Grauniad reports that there are thousands of little churches needing repairs in France
I feel much closer to the Lord alone in a small church than in a cathedral with hundreds of tourists

We were not much better.IIRC the money spent on Millenial celebrations, non-working "sculptures, towers et al would far more fitting tribute in my mind
d have brought every listed and historical building in the UK to a safe standard