A day of low pollution.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Re: A day of low pollution.

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One needs a mix, a waterwheel powering a generator is the next step for Cugel, makes lots of power in winter
Ever wondered why there are so many Felins in Wales?

A good point. There's an effort at the moment in Fynnone Wood, Sir Benfro to turn an old mill race into a small hydro-electric thing. The damn at Llys-y-Fran reservoir is being re-engineered as we type, to act as a hydro-electric facility of a somewhat larger size.

I was hoping for a composting toilet in the back garden, myself, from which I would derive enormous amounts of methane. Of course, burning this would not be too green. On the other hand, not burning it might be worse, unless I kept it all in a very strong gasometer. But my vegetables would be ENORMOUS! (And very tasty). :-)

Night-soil. What a fine euphemism, eh?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
pete75

Post by pete75 »

kwackers wrote:
PDQ Mobile wrote:The fact remains that over-subsidized solar (is it 4 times more than a kwh at the meter?) now costs the utilities a deal of money, reflected in my bill as a recent 10% rise in cost.

4x? I wish.

A new install is fractional, imo you'd be better installing it yourself and forgoing the tariff since you'd save more than you'd gain.
Older installs pay more - if you were "lucky" and paid 20 grand for your install you might be getting 4x but you've probably only got 10 years left of that.

That 10% isn't just the money paid for solar, it's money used to improve heating efficiency, insulate houses and a whole host of other stuff.

We paid £9,000 for our solar panels in 2012 installed in Feb just before the tariffs went down.. Since then we've averaged about £1800 a year in FIT payments along with whatever we've saved by using the generated electricity. So panels paid for after five years and payments from then on "profit". FIT payments are index linked, tax free and last for 25 years. The current payment is just over 54 pence per kWh. There's also an assumption that half the electricity produced goes back into the grid for which the payment is about 4 pence per kWh.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I pay just over 17p for a Kwh about to rise 10% on 1st May.

Has risen substantially over the last decade.
From around 12p if memory serves.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Actually happens frequently!!!!!

Every school holiday, the urban environment sees a 24% reduction in the number of vehicles on the road during the peak period!

Lower pollution every day
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cunobelin wrote:Actually happens frequently!!!!!

Every school holiday, the urban environment sees a 24% reduction in the number of vehicles on the road during the peak period!

Not quite, instead of 6 km to school they drive 600 km to Cornwall or Scotland or Wales, Minus One
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:Actually happens frequently!!!!!

Not quite, instead of 6 km to school they drive 600 km to Cornwall or Scotland or Wales, Minus One

Lowers pollution in the area.....which was the aim
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Cugel wrote:It's not easy to find and buy such a place but .... why are all new builds not made like this or otherwise subject to harsh government penalties?
IIRC, the 'Greenest Government Ever' (or one of their descendents) were heavily lobbied by the big housebuilding companies who said it was too difficult / expensive (AKA we can't be a**ed). Comparable with the way that they frequently buy themselves out of providing Affordable Housing on new developments they build :evil:
"42"