End of Pensioner "Perks"

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia
Posts: 11475
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: End of Pensioner "Perks"

Postby mercalia » 29 Apr 2019, 4:50pm

Cugel wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:Mr Cugel seems to be close to advocating a wealth tax.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealth_tax

"Mansion tax" is a subset of this much talked of in recent political discourse.


Squeaky-pip the rich rascals! :-)

No, I don't mind wealth. It's obscene wealth that startles my goat. Wot is "obscene wealth" - let's call it the flaunting of adipose money-tissue in the face of starving wretches, even as you grab their last crust-penny and stuff it into the maw of your already bursting wallet whilst kicking them orf "your" land.

Cugel


well the cost of Sparkles Baby Shower in the USA - £100,000 was it?

pete75
Posts: 11796
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: End of Pensioner "Perks"

Postby pete75 » 29 Apr 2019, 4:53pm

kwackers wrote:
Psamathe wrote:People can be very quick to see what they don't have and very slow to recognise what they do have. E.g. in my parents day no free childcare so normally one parent remain at home caring for children which meant just the one wage for the household ...

Ian

And what happened when both parents started working?
House price inflation.

There's no doubt if we'd stayed with only one working parent houses would be "cheaper".
It's possibly even worth asking whether all that's happened is that one parent has been forced into work for no overall benefit.



Oh yeah lets go back to the days when women were routinely sacked when they became pregnant.

Over the past 50 odd years there's not been the vast increase in women working than many think. In 1965 51% of working age women were in employment and in 2013 it had gone up by just 16% to 67%. What has changed a lot are the jobs women do. Back in 1965 the vast majority were in menial jobs by 2013 many more women were in the professions particularly law and medicine so more visible to the middle classes including opinion formers in the media. In 1965 most working women would have been sitting at sewing machines in garment factories, building wheels at Raleigh, picking tates etc etc and so invisible to most of the middle class.

kwackers
Posts: 13692
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: End of Pensioner "Perks"

Postby kwackers » 29 Apr 2019, 7:16pm

pete75 wrote:Oh yeah lets go back to the days when women were routinely sacked when they became pregnant.

What's that got to do with anything?
My point was that folk buying houses simply have more cash, be it because more of them work or because the both have better jobs.
Having more cash doesn't work in a sellers market though because it simply drives inflation.

That was the nub of my argument nothing to do with going back anywhere.

pete75
Posts: 11796
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: End of Pensioner "Perks"

Postby pete75 » 29 Apr 2019, 11:22pm

kwackers wrote:
pete75 wrote:Oh yeah lets go back to the days when women were routinely sacked when they became pregnant.

What's that got to do with anything?
My point was that folk buying houses simply have more cash, be it because more of them work or because the both have better jobs.
Having more cash doesn't work in a sellers market though because it simply drives inflation.

That was the nub of my argument nothing to do with going back anywhere.


You appeared to be complaining about more women working putting up house prices. That practice from not that many years ago would address your complaint.

AlaninWales
Posts: 1540
Joined: 26 Oct 2012, 1:47pm

Re: End of Pensioner "Perks"

Postby AlaninWales » 30 Apr 2019, 10:09am

pete75 wrote:
kwackers wrote:
pete75 wrote:Oh yeah lets go back to the days when women were routinely sacked when they became pregnant.

What's that got to do with anything?
My point was that folk buying houses simply have more cash, be it because more of them work or because the both have better jobs.
Having more cash doesn't work in a sellers market though because it simply drives inflation.

That was the nub of my argument nothing to do with going back anywhere.


You appeared to be complaining about more women working putting up house prices. That practice from not that many years ago would address your complaint.

Your equating Kwackers' point that both partners working can push up house prices with the idea that women should be the ones staying at home, says a lot more about you than it does about kwackers.

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 7773
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: End of Pensioner "Perks"

Postby al_yrpal » 30 Apr 2019, 10:32am

Nice to see an intelligent discussion on this subject. Best suggestions IMO are to tax fuel benefit and Christmas bonus as income. Not all pensioners have or use bus passes so people on basic pension should get a free one and others could get a discount similar to the Senior Railcard. TV licence should be say 50% off for pensioners. As to how money saved should benefit the young........??? How?

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

thirdcrank
Posts: 28648
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: End of Pensioner "Perks"

Postby thirdcrank » 30 Apr 2019, 11:02am

It's worth reflecting on the crimbo bonus which has always been a tenner, because it illustrates the effects of inflation. IMO, the point here is that once upon a time, the longer term costs of public spending were reduced by inflation. Not any more because inflation has been tamed (sort of.) That's been largely achieved by cheap imports and perhaps to a lesser extent by things like cheap foreign holidays. This hasn't just kept prices down, of course, as it's also exported jobs as the saying goes. My fear is that inflation will return on a Weimar Republic scale. Quantative easing = printing money without bothering with the paper and ink

pete75
Posts: 11796
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: End of Pensioner "Perks"

Postby pete75 » 30 Apr 2019, 1:35pm

AlaninWales wrote:
pete75 wrote:
kwackers wrote:What's that got to do with anything?
My point was that folk buying houses simply have more cash, be it because more of them work or because the both have better jobs.
Having more cash doesn't work in a sellers market though because it simply drives inflation.

That was the nub of my argument nothing to do with going back anywhere.


You appeared to be complaining about more women working putting up house prices. That practice from not that many years ago would address your complaint.

Your equating Kwackers' point that both partners working can push up house prices with the idea that women should be the ones staying at home, says a lot more about you than it does about kwackers.


Just what's your point? The fact is the increase in both partners in a marriage working, which he appears to think a bad thing because of it's effect on house prices ,has largely been caused by an increase in the number of women working. My sentence "Oh yeah lets go back to the days when women were routinely sacked when they became pregnant." was meant to be ironic.

pete75
Posts: 11796
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: End of Pensioner "Perks"

Postby pete75 » 30 Apr 2019, 1:48pm

al_yrpal wrote:Nice to see an intelligent discussion on this subject. Best suggestions IMO are to tax fuel benefit and Christmas bonus as income. Not all pensioners have or use bus passes so people on basic pension should get a free one and others could get a discount similar to the Senior Railcard. TV licence should be say 50% off for pensioners. As to how money saved should benefit the young........??? How?

Al


Well they are income so it's surprising they aren't taxed as such.

Don't see the point in the Christmas bonus though - scrap it. When it was introduced it was of some value - ten quid when the state pension was only about seven quid a week so it would give the recipient a half decent Christmas.

kwackers
Posts: 13692
Joined: 4 Jun 2008, 9:29pm
Location: Warrington

Re: End of Pensioner "Perks"

Postby kwackers » 30 Apr 2019, 2:04pm

pete75 wrote:Just what's your point? The fact is the increase in both partners in a marriage working, which he appears to think a bad thing because of it's effect on house prices ,has largely been caused by an increase in the number of women working. My sentence "Oh yeah lets go back to the days when women were routinely sacked when they became pregnant." was meant to be ironic.

Where did I say it was a bad thing? When did I even mention women?

You're a master of inferring all sorts of nonsense from no data.

FYI the world is complex, virtually no action can be entirely good or entirely bad.
Pointing out a bad result of an action neither marks that action as good or bad, merely points out that one of it's side effects is bad.
Whether the sum total of the action is good or bad depends on the value you attribute to all of its impacts.

pete75
Posts: 11796
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: End of Pensioner "Perks"

Postby pete75 » 30 Apr 2019, 4:42pm

kwackers wrote:
pete75 wrote:Just what's your point? The fact is the increase in both partners in a marriage working, which he appears to think a bad thing because of it's effect on house prices ,has largely been caused by an increase in the number of women working. My sentence "Oh yeah lets go back to the days when women were routinely sacked when they became pregnant." was meant to be ironic.

Where did I say it was a bad thing? When did I even mention women?

You're a master of inferring all sorts of nonsense from no data.

FYI the world is complex, virtually no action can be entirely good or entirely bad.
Pointing out a bad result of an action neither marks that action as good or bad, merely points out that one of it's side effects is bad.
Whether the sum total of the action is good or bad depends on the value you attribute to all of its impacts.


Who said anything about something being entirely bad. Something doesn't have to be 100% bad to be regarded as being an overall bad thing.
Last edited by pete75 on 30 Apr 2019, 4:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

merseymouth
Posts: 1111
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: End of Pensioner "Perks"

Postby merseymouth » 30 Apr 2019, 4:50pm

Hi all H :) , Sorry but i've been away doing DIY for the needy young folk.
Another thread that allows certain folk to slag off the eldely?
A few points. Remember when women had to leave the employment market when the got married, even without getting pregnant?
In the armed forces one could get put on a fizzer for PWP??
£165 per week pension, oh I just wish! Maybe I should visit a few food banks to make ends meet? Even a sausage roll with both ends meat!!!
Now that I have to up the body core temperature to stay alive the Winter Heating Payment helps prevent an early visit to the box vendor.
The Travel pass is my lifeline, which coupled with my Disabled Persons Railcard helps me survive without a rot box, so I'm smugly greener that many of the posters :roll: .
As Al says the cheap mortgage rates are on the backs of the older investor, sod all return!
The increase in the percentage of over 65's in single occupancy is surely down to the work of the grim reaper, but maybe the moaner expect ny surviving partner to top themselves for the convenience of others? :twisted:
Well, TTFN MM

pete75
Posts: 11796
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: End of Pensioner "Perks"

Postby pete75 » 30 Apr 2019, 4:56pm

merseymouth wrote:The increase in the percentage of over 65's in single occupancy is surely down to the work of the grim reaper, but maybe the moaner expect ny surviving partner to top themselves for the convenience of others? :twisted:
Well, TTFN MM


Yes and I wonder why people are surprised at the number of over 65 year olds in single occupancy. If nothing else haven't they heard that women's life expectancy is longer than men's - husband dies so widow is living in the house on her own. What do they expect her to do - move out of what may have been her home for more than fifty years?

brynpoeth
Posts: 11240
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: End of Pensioner "Perks"

Postby brynpoeth » 30 Apr 2019, 5:14pm

She could share it with some Young People for a modest rent, they and she would both benefit
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 7773
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: End of Pensioner "Perks"

Postby al_yrpal » 1 May 2019, 12:42pm

She could, but most people wouldnt. Their home, their choice, thats what home ownership is about.

The PM just confirmed the continuation of the free bus pass in PM Questions, so thats safe for a bit. She was also asked about the free TV licence and said she saw no reason why the BBC shouldnt continue it. There has been much whingeing from the BBC but Age UK have been running a very effective campaign to urge the BBC to continue it. A bit of a cull of eye watering salaries at the Beeb wouldnt go amiss.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?