The Repair Shop

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales
Posts: 3429
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

The Repair Shop

Postby Mike Sales » 30 Apr 2019, 5:06pm

I enjoy this programme on BBC1.
I like repairing and recycling so I can pick up pointers and techniques from the show.
Today a child's lever driven tricycle was brought in and renovated, to the joy of the original owner's grandchildren.
For some reason they called it a go-cart, and much worse the children had to wear helmets whilst trying it out.

merseymouth
Posts: 1116
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: The Repair Shop

Postby merseymouth » 30 Apr 2019, 5:31pm

Hi Mike, Like you I am hooked by it's values! A few niggles though? As you say Elf & Safety mindedness had the nippers compelled to wear re-cycled egg boxes! Yuk.
But the worst one of the lot was a few weeks ago when they did a restoration job on an elderly bicycle, one with unequal sized wheels?
Yep, they called it a "Penny Farthing" treble yuk. Why can't folk call it by it's proper name an "Ordinary", or a popular "High Wheeler" moniker.
Even then the tester donned the mandatory modern hairnet!
I recall an American begging a ride on a High Wheeler at York Rally. He got cocky on the going, only to take a header. Loads of folk dived in to save the bike from injury :lol: :lol: :lol: . Well, IGICB MM

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 2669
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: The Repair Shop

Postby Cugel » 30 Apr 2019, 5:38pm

Mike Sales wrote:I enjoy this programme on BBC1.
I like repairing and recycling so I can pick up pointers and techniques from the show.
Today a child's lever driven tricycle was brought in and renovated, to the joy of the original owner's grandchildren.
For some reason they called it a go-cart, and much worse the children had to wear helmets whilst trying it out.


I watch very little tele, not least because I haven't got one (odd dollops of iPlayer on the computer for me). However, I watch The Repair Shop avidly.

The tearful stuff and the nostalgia-about-things grate a bit at times. But the demonstration of how virtually anything can be revived and made to work once more is an object-lesson for our planned-obsolescence age.

However, I now want a-one of those old Penny Arcade machines where you whizz a ball bearing 'round the metal maze to try to get it in a WIN 'ole. I have a box of old pennies ....

Cugel

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 2669
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: The Repair Shop

Postby Cugel » 30 Apr 2019, 5:42pm

merseymouth wrote:Hi Mike, Like you I am hooked by it's values! A few niggles though? As you say Elf & Safety mindedness had the nippers compelled to wear re-cycled egg boxes! Yuk.
But the worst one of the lot was a few weeks ago when they did a restoration job on an elderly bicycle, one with unequal sized wheels?
Yep, they called it a "Penny Farthing" treble yuk. Why can't folk call it by it's proper name an "Ordinary", or a popular "High Wheeler" moniker.
Even then the tester donned the mandatory modern hairnet!
I recall an American begging a ride on a High Wheeler at York Rally. He got cocky on the going, only to take a header. Loads of folk dived in to save the bike from injury :lol: :lol: :lol: . Well, IGICB MM


Ha ha - a Penny Farthing (for so they are known) is the one bike that would tempt me to wear a helmet should I attempt the thing. However, the helmet would have to be one that worked rather than a polystyrene banana cluster. It's a long way down! Headers were apparently commonplace.

On second thoughts, I'll stick to an ordinary (as in "the usual") bike. :-)

Cugel

merseymouth
Posts: 1116
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: The Repair Shop

Postby merseymouth » 30 Apr 2019, 5:47pm

Hi Cudgel :( , I think you mean a "Safety Bicycle"? Because too many people say "P-F" doesn't make it correct, the high wheeler was an ordinary or regular bicycle before the Rover Safety Bicycle came along.
Surely folk can get it right on a cycling forum? MM

pwa
Posts: 10449
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: The Repair Shop

Postby pwa » 30 Apr 2019, 6:09pm

merseymouth wrote:Hi Cudgel :( , I think you mean a "Safety Bicycle"? Because too many people say "P-F" doesn't make it correct, the high wheeler was an ordinary or regular bicycle before the Rover Safety Bicycle came along.
Surely folk can get it right on a cycling forum? MM

Penny farthing is one of several correct names for that early form of bike. Nothing wrong with it as a name.

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 7801
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: The Repair Shop

Postby al_yrpal » 30 Apr 2019, 6:24pm

The Repair Shop is an antidote to that Top Gear Twerp James May reassembling things. He has no idea, no skill and is totally boring.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?

merseymouth
Posts: 1116
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: The Repair Shop

Postby merseymouth » 30 Apr 2019, 6:50pm

Sorry PWA, you are wrong!
P-F is definitely a guttersnipes term of derision. Comparable with the frequently heard "Three-Wheeler Bike" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .
Quad Bike is another common faux pas, revisionist language!
Ignorance is not bliss. MM

pwa
Posts: 10449
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: The Repair Shop

Postby pwa » 30 Apr 2019, 7:03pm

merseymouth wrote:Sorry PWA, you are wrong!
P-F is definitely a guttersnipes term of derision. Comparable with the frequently heard "Three-Wheeler Bike" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .
Quad Bike is another common faux pas, revisionist language!
Ignorance is not bliss. MM

It is what my grandad called that sort of bike and that is good enough for me. :lol:

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 2669
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: The Repair Shop

Postby Cugel » 30 Apr 2019, 10:51pm

merseymouth wrote:Sorry PWA, you are wrong!
P-F is definitely a guttersnipes term of derision. Comparable with the frequently heard "Three-Wheeler Bike" :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .
Quad Bike is another common faux pas, revisionist language!
Ignorance is not bliss. MM


I think you'll find that these are nomenclatures employed by blackguards, not guttersnipes. Guttersnipes would use an entirely different set of names for things! I should know. :-)

Cugel

PS A term I detest is "biking" meaning "cycling". Biking is what Yanks do; or pimply yoofs on noisy wee motorbikes, as they pretend they are Hell's Angels.

pwa
Posts: 10449
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: The Repair Shop

Postby pwa » 1 May 2019, 9:23am

"Bikers" has always meant motorcyclists to me too. If "penny farthing" was incorrect as a term, that was in 1927 when it apparently had its first recorded use, and 92 years of use since then has surely made it the commonly used term and therefore legitimate, at least for anyone who is not still calling a radio a "wireless". Words for things change. In the case of PF it changed decades before I was born. And how could it be "incorrect" anyway? It is just an alternative name, not a wrong name. Seen from the side those bikes do resemble two coins of different sizes, and it is a couple or three generations since most people would apply the word "ordinary" to such machines without a smile.

The Repair Shop is a lovely programme that should appeal to anyone who likes watching meticulous crafts people doing their stuff. Which I most certainly do.

merseymouth
Posts: 1116
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: The Repair Shop

Postby merseymouth » 1 May 2019, 11:26am

Hello again PWA :) , So for you a Invincible Humber Racer would be a "Two-Pence Farthing"? :lol:
When folk abuse the derivation of words the true meanings are all too often lost! IGICB MM

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 2669
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: The Repair Shop

Postby Cugel » 1 May 2019, 12:05pm

pwa wrote:"Bikers" has always meant motorcyclists to me too. If "penny farthing" was incorrect as a term, that was in 1927 when it apparently had its first recorded use, and 92 years of use since then has surely made it the commonly used term and therefore legitimate, at least for anyone who is not still calling a radio a "wireless". Words for things change. In the case of PF it changed decades before I was born. And how could it be "incorrect" anyway? It is just an alternative name, not a wrong name. Seen from the side those bikes do resemble two coins of different sizes, and it is a couple or three generations since most people would apply the word "ordinary" to such machines without a smile.

The Repair Shop is a lovely programme that should appeal to anyone who likes watching meticulous crafts people doing their stuff. Which I most certainly do.


"Radios" are for the Yank and I still have a wireless. Mind, it isn't wireless as I plug in into a socket in the workshop, so I can listen to Radio 3 as I spoil wood. Batteries cost too much and radios only run on huge D-cells that cost £6:57 each (or so I have heard). Radio 3 music is a rather more delicious aural repast than the Radio "tunes" from Radio Prattle. All it needs is a change of name to Wireless 3. :-)

"A Penny Farthing by any other name would ride as badly".

The term "Ordinary" seems fundamentally incorrect for a bicycle type that isn't (ordinary, I mean). The Penny Farthing is a true description albeit via the simile whereas an "Ordinary" is no longer a true description. We could call it "an Exceptional" as in exceptionally dangerous or "rarely seen ridden except by mad blokes".

The Repair Shop is fascinating concerning the many skills, trades and arcane processes for making this and that. I dislike the weepy bits, not because the emotions are invalid but because I don't want to be a voyeur lapping up the grief of others via a goggle-machine.

Cugel

merseymouth
Posts: 1116
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: The Repair Shop

Postby merseymouth » 1 May 2019, 1:20pm

Hiagain, Think it over, which came first the "Bicycle", with greatly unequal wheel sizes or the "Rover Safety Bicycle"?
To differentiate between the two cycles at the time of creation the original bicycle was classed as an "Ordinary Bicycle" as opposed to the new fangled "Safety Bicycle"!
Lazy use of language all too often is excused as being behind the times?
Say what you mean and mean what you say.
MM, Tricyclist, you know those "Three-Wheeler Bikes" :twisted: .

pwa
Posts: 10449
Joined: 2 Oct 2011, 8:55pm

Re: The Repair Shop

Postby pwa » 1 May 2019, 5:51pm

I do agree that "quad bike" is an ugly self contradicting construction.

I don't mind the weepy bits on The Repair Shop because, as with Desert Island Discs, it brings out the human stories and connections with people no longer living. We can all relate to that.