The Repair Shop

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ferrit worrier

Re: The Repair Shop

Post by ferrit worrier »

merseymouth wrote:Hello again PWA :) , So for you a Invincible Humber Racer would be a "Two-Pence Farthing"? :lol:
When folk abuse the derivation of words the true meanings are all too often lost! IGICB MM

give us a clue IGICB ? even google can't translate it :roll:
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi PWA, Brewers Dictionary of Phrase & Fable states that the nickname term "Penny-Farthing" dates from 1872! So it was a bicycle with a cheeky nick-name.
Hello Ferrit Worrier :shock: , You don't remember the wonderful 1886 Invincible Humber Racer? Two 42" front wheels, with a 16" rear, weighed in at 35lb, very nifty.
So the common folk would say it had 2 penny wheels and a single farthing as well.
I'd love one. IGICB MM
JJF

Post by JJF »

IGICB = I go, I come back.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi JJF :D , Another I.T.M.A. fan. Try this one - NLYSLDOAH? Don't forget the diver! MM
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

On the Repair Shop today there is a thirties ladies. hub geared, rod braked bike.
The owner's mother rode to her wartime work at Bletchley Park on it.
Good to see it back working well, but the helmet the owner had to wear to try it out was a jarring note. In all other respects the renovators have such concern for authenticity.
He was riding it in the motor free yard of the barn. But bicycles are so dangerous.
Edited to add that it has occurred to me that this may be the first time that the bike has carried a helmeted rider!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi Mike :D , You seem to have forgotten that the original owner may well have worn head protection whilst using it during WW2? A Head Scarf :lol: .
Though ladies using cycles in mill towns would have had additional cranial protection, Hair Rollers! IGICB MM