Buses (and coaches).. Why? Why not?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: Buses (and coaches).. Why? Why not?

Postby mjr » 20 Nov 2019, 10:31am

fausto copy wrote:Well, the weird thing about the above is that one cannot travel on the train all the way from Shrewsbury to Llanelli or Swansea.
One has to pay if you want to use those stations (and vice versa).
And I don't suppose there'd be a connecting bus to let you do the last bit either!
Bonkers.

The half-hourly X13 connects to Swansea, the hourly L3 connects to Llanelli, the hourly 435 to Shrewsbury. www.bustimes.org is quite useful.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 26 Jan 2020, 7:25pm

Had an early appointment on the other side of town, thought seriously about taking the bus, checked the times, the bus only goes twice an hour and takes as long as cycling, one change at the bus station

Cycled instead, might have taken the bus only in bad frost or snow, a no-brainer again
Didnae realise how fast cycling was, arrived 30 minutes early :wink:
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we dislike mortons

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 29 Jan 2020, 8:13am

John

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 26 Jul 2020, 1:29pm

Ashamed to report that I took a bus trip yesterday
The driver kept his foot on the throttle and braked late, stopped, instead of coasting towards red lights and maybe not having to stop and start again, he followed a tractor too close, so he had to brake, couldnae read, ignored a STOP sign :?
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we dislike mortons

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 26 Jul 2020, 5:05pm

Slight variant - coach.

I’m not going to be taking the train to LHR again. Last time I took the bus. Wheelchair stowed underneath with my luggage, front seats reserved for me.
Then straight down to the airport, dropped off directly outside departures.

Driver did the loading/unloading, was friendly and I was in no way rushed.
Sat and tried to get a bit of a kip before the flight.

No changes (well, one change from the car to the coach) rather than the multiple changes needed to get to, and across, London. And in a wheelchair, with luggage, that’s a serious consideration.

Was absolutely brilliant - and less than a third of the price of a train - will use again.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.