Favourite smells

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Freddie

Re: Favourite smells

Post by Freddie »

Coffee (smells better than it tastes usually)
Bacon
Lavender
Oranges

Can I add one disgusting one also - any of those scented candles/air fresheners/whatever. They are almost universally unpleasant and some are so overpowering, essential oils + diffuser is the way to go.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Books
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Is that the ones fermenting in the attic, or the new ones you buy straight off the press wrapped in plastic :)

i've never been into books that much, so I will examine them carefully for technical information, some more the point that's only if I ever need to read a book do I.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I used to enjoy Haynes manuals (Cavalier 1984), could be interesting for you NA, how do they smell after a few years use?
Read an article about a blind clergyperson, after losing his sight his senses of hearing and smell improved, he can sense whether the congregation likes his sermon, but he finds it trying to be somewhere with a lot of strong smells (Christmas market, perfume shop?)
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:
i've never been into books that much, so I will examine them carefully for technical information, some more the point that's only if I ever need to read a book do I.

If your were to read a book you would find it uses an argot other than gibble-gabble, so it may be a double trial for you to get through it.

But, as you suggest, you seem unlikely to ever have a need for such a quaint thing. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I used to enjoy Haynes manuals (Cavalier 1984), could be interesting for you NA, how do they smell after a few years use?
Read an article about a blind clergyperson, after losing his sight his senses of hearing and smell improved, he can sense whether the congregation likes his sermon, but he finds it trying to be somewhere with a lot of strong smells (Christmas market, perfume shop?)

I had a 1985 Cavalier and the Haynes manual. I hardly needed the manual, pretty simple cars really.
What I should have bought was a manual on how to weld car bodywork!
It rusted very extensively but never broke down in over 200K miles.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Cycling up through the lanes of Cornwall last year I would get a sweet perfume smell. It happened a few times before I realised what is was. Honeysuckle.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Wild garlic as I cycle down a lane in Welsh woods.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I have a book on triathlons written by an American Dave Scott.
It's an A4 format and nearly an inch thick soft back, Probably got large print but have read it entirely.
I never lent it out so I still have it.
I also had a book on marathons, I I RC I probably hadn't finished with it and lent it to a workmate, when I asked for it back he said he lent it to another workmate, despite asking for it several times I never got it back :(
A mistake I won't repeat any Time soon.
Picked up two books autobiography of wiggo, Brand-new unread pound each.
There is more than one version?
Yet to read a page of either of them.
They are your typical format of not very many words on a page, who produces books like this on a large scale,Recently in financial meltdown.
I have many maintenance manuals, as you know parts of which are read many times.
And I still have many manuals like computers and programs which haven't even been opened yet, not likely to as the software is now defunct.
I wonder if it's autobiographies, maintenance manuals, or best seller fiction, Which are more likely to be languishing on shelves unread / Passed on or skipped.

Sorry for the bad grammar and punctuation.
I started using Oral text programs in their infancy, I'm not sure they have improved with the present that well.
IOS 13.3 still needs a lot of work.
A tip is not to try using it in a noisy environment like when you've got the TV and the radio on at the same time, mind you I've got a bleating leader speaking at the moment :)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

francovendee wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I used to enjoy Haynes manuals (Cavalier 1984), could be interesting for you NA, how do they smell after a few years use?

I had a 1985 Cavalier and the Haynes manual. I hardly needed the manual, pretty simple cars really.
What I should have bought was a manual on how to weld car bodywork!
It rusted very extensively but never broke down in over 200K miles.

I have seen a couple in use recently :wink:
But mine rusted away too, the shockabsorber mounting cheesed out just before a very important journey
Should one have paid a lot to get it wax treated from new?
RickH

Post by RickH »

Of course the Haynes Manuals have moved on a bit since then

(link)

:D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I'm guessing exhaust fumes probably won't be a popular choice, but there was something about Castrol R in the old Motocross bike.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Yes, gear oil smells different from engine oil
I quite like the smell of an underground railway
And macdonalds, havnae eaten there for a while, but the frying fat smells good :wink:
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Gear oil, I use it on my chains :)
You can sometimes smell it when you are riding the bike.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Sheep!

You would smell quite strongly after wearing a pullover for months without washing it :wink: