What do Conductors do?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: What do Conductors do?

Post by 661-Pete »

Viola players (as distinct from violinists) have a 'reputation' for being the lowest of the low in the orchestra. Here's an old one.

Conductor stops in mid-rehearsal and glowers at the orchestra.
"Viola in the back desk," he thunders. "You are out of tune."
"I know, sir. One of the oboists in the row behind me reached across when I wasn't looking, and twisted one of the pegs."
"Well, will you kindly re-tune at once!"
"I can't, sir. He won't tell me which one..."
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

thirdcrank wrote: so you hardly need a free tv licence to have seen it. Often. Still very funny. :D

I had never seen it before- a sheltered life. :shock:

Though I keep a copy of the full AP one on my iphone. It helps lighten the odd darker moment.
Sun's out!

Ps.
The full sketch (often shortened) is interesting (IMHO) for the near the beginning line; "I"ll go get my baton- it's in Chicago"!

Eric's reaction, "He's in", suggests that Previn ad-libbed something unexpected here?
Or perhaps it's just the timing?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Somewhere in the countless repeats and rehashes of M & W, I've been led to understand that this sketch had little rehearsal (time constraints?) I think your right about ad-libbing. Watch the orchestra: they seem to be amused.