What do Conductors do?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

What do Conductors do?

Post by mercalia »

not a lot if this video is anything to go by, other than look like a lunatic waving hands all around and pulling funny faces?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48199568

[youtube]DF8_qGI5Vl0[/youtube]

The players seem to be looking at their scores most of the time about 99% of the time
Last edited by mercalia on 9 May 2019, 11:49am, edited 2 times in total.
reohn2

Re: What do Conductors do?

Post by reohn2 »

It's called artisic expression.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

The late Sir Thomas Beecham is reputed to have said, in admonishing a female cellist who wasn't playing at her best during rehearsal:
"Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it."

I should stress that not all conductors are like that!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

By the time you've got to the live performance, not so much. It's a bit late to fix it by then, as long as it doesn't all go wrong.

They do save the drummer from having to shout 1234.

From inception through rehearsals, they do rather a lot bringing it together, like a film director.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

iandriver wrote:By the time you've got to the live performance, not so much. It's a bit late to fix it by then, as long as it doesn't all go wrong.

And she trips and falls off the rostrum :lol:

They do save the drummer from having to shout 1234.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

From inception through rehearsals, they do rather a lot bringing it together, like a film director.

Quite!
W H Auden
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

reohn2 wrote:
iandriver wrote:By the time you've got to the live performance, not so much. It's a bit late to fix it by then, as long as it doesn't all go wrong.

I'm sure more than on has launched their baton across the auditorium in the past too :-)
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

iandriver wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

I'm sure more than on has launched their baton across the auditorium in the past too :-)

Spearing some poor soul in the audience :shock:
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

iandriver wrote:They do save the drummer from having to shout 1234.
Did you ever see The Beatles singing live?
Ringo didn't count them in. They all came in together as a one.
John said (or was it Paul?) that they were a tight little band.

Many good bands never had a count-in. Saw The Who live too, and Moon the Loon never counted them in either.

This is correct, I'm sure.
Mick F. Cornwall
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Mick F wrote:
iandriver wrote:They do save the drummer from having to shout 1234.
Did you ever see The Beatles singing live?
Ringo didn't count them in. They all came in together as a one.
John said (or was it Paul?) that they were a tight little band.
Many good bands never had a count-in. Saw The Who live too, and Moon the Loon never counted them in either.

I'm more of a The Ramones kind of guy (You'll either get that if you know them, or you won't)
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

As a musician this lady made perfect sense to me. Her role is essential.
John
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

And yet some conductors seem to be able to bring something special out of an orchestra.
Marin Alsopp produced IMHO some very special things with the Bournmouth orchestra.
But there are many other examples.

And while searching for Previn (Xmas sketch, couldn't find it complete) I came upon this rather interesting bit of comic history.
Ernie Wise as conductor!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FqHH1UQqIMs
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Many years ago as a student I spent some months in Vienna and was able to attend a lot of concerts - standing-room tickets were really cheap. Among others I regularly heard the no.2 orchestra, the Vienna Symphony. Their performances were all right up to a point but rather pedestrian and I felt they were just coasting on automatic. One day, however, Giulini was conducting...I couldn't believe it was the same band, even though I recognised the familiar faces. The concert was electrifying and I still remember it as one of the highlights of my life. Next week, though, they were back to plodding along as usual. :lol:

Dont' forget, too, that a lot of the work is done in rehearsal. I'm sometimes lucky enough to watch some pros rehearse and find it fascinating.

The players seem to be looking at their scores most of the time about 99% of the time

It may seem so, but they can see her out of the corner of the eye, above their music - that's why she's standing on a dais. As an amateur violinist I've played in loads of orchestral concerts and it's something you get used to doing.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I played in a band when I were younger (The Velocity 4 if anyone ever saw us around the Bucks area in the late 80s) and we managed to keep good time without someone in a posh frock or suit impersonating the Karate Kid at the front.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I played in a band when I were younger (The Velocity 4 if anyone ever saw us around the Bucks area in the late 80s) and we managed to keep good time without someone in a posh frock or suit impersonating the Karate Kid at the front.

I'm guessing there were only 4 of you trying to keep time with each other rather than the 50+ of an orchestra.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Symphony orchestras may have 100 members, I went to a rehearsal concert with 400
The violinists are plating nearly all the time, the triangle player is waiting nearly all the time
Do they get the same pay?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies