Danny Baker

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Re: Danny Baker

Post by Cugel »

pwa wrote:
Cugel wrote:
Lance Dopestrong wrote:And Baker has backtracked from high grovelling, albeit slightly qualified, apologies. Apparently yesterday in hiss stage show he was having a right pop at his accusers. Whether anyone thinks her did wrong or not, we must surely agree that it was his fingers on the keyboard and no one is responsible for posting the picture other than him? You wouldn't think so, the way he was apparently blaming everyone except himself.

Apologies are great, if you mean them. Even if you don't, at least try and sound like you do...and then try and go 5 minutes without undermining your own apology on you live stage show 2 days later.

I did genuinely think it was an honest mistake, an error, oversight, innocent piece of gullibility even, but the movement of the needle on Baker's own Apology-O-Meter is so furious as he modifies his apologies to suit his audience, is such that I now no longer believe a work he says.

The whole thing was swiftly moved from "Baker makes a nasty racist twit-tweet" to "It's been the worst day of my (Baker's) life". Poor thing, eh?

Still, Matty will give him a hug and a recommendation. The publicity will also, no doubt, ensure he continues as a sleb of the chattering classes "just loving his humour". Yuk.

Cugel

You seem so sure, Cugel, and I think being so sure is dangerous. You don't entertain a bit of doubt about your judgement. You have the man hung already.

The man hanged hisself as I recall. More than once. In various fashions and styles. Racist "joke"; attempted denial; attempt to pretend he didn't realise what he was doing; attempt to elicit sympathy not for the victim of his nastiness but for his poor self, misunderstood by all & sundry who are making him feel he's having "the worst day of my life". Really.

However, should he stop doing the sleb act, emitting controversial "humour" then milking the reaction for sympathy for his self-professed "niceness", I may eat the humble pie. I think I may be going hungry, though. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Note to self - Cugel for Justice Minister when I'm finally made PM.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Did anyone actually complain about his initial tweet? Before other media outlets began reporting on it and labelling it racist, after which no-one is impartial. As I understand it, he tweeted the image, people following him saw it, some of them realised that some would see it as racist and warned him about it, he took it down and apologised if anyone saw it that way. I think the 'mind not diseased' line is referring to racists who would post such things with racist intent, not just anybody who saw it and thought it could be perceived as racist.

How many people saw the initial tweet compared to how many saw it in news reports? Looking at the coverage of the interview with him on his doorstep, here:-
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48212693

his contract was terminated through mutual agreement, after they lectured him on the phone, telling him he meant it, so he used rather colourful language in telling them to go away.

Surely it comes down to intent, if he meant it in a racist way, why would he take it down and apologise at the earliest opportunity. Where do we draw the line? Chimps, monkeys and other apes have a long history of being used on postcards, in clothing designs, in pictures etc etc. Are we still allowed to sing the alternate lyrics to Happy Birthday, 'you look like a monkey, go back to the zoo.' or is that too racist?

Had he posted the same picture after the births of George, Charlotte or Louis, would it have been ok to post it after the birth of Archie? Would it be wrong to not post it after the birth or Archie, if it had been tweeted after the births of his three cousins?
Lance Dopestrong

Someone has complained so loudly about the original tweet that the police heard it, so "yes" is the answer you seek.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

They complained to police a day after it had been posted and deleted. So in all likelihood they responded to the press coverage of it and not actually the initial tweet.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Postboxer wrote:They complained to police a day after it had been posted and deleted. So in all likelihood they responded to the press coverage of it and not actually the initial tweet.

Was it Lance Dopestrong?

(without his/her real name, we can't rule it out ... )
Lance Dopestrong

Postboxer wrote:They complained to police a day after it had been posted and deleted. So in all likelihood they responded to the press coverage of it and not actually the initial tweet.

That's an assumption, and assumptions are the mother of all...

mattheus wrote:Was it Lance Dopestrong?

(without his/her real name, we can't rule it out ... )

No, it wasn't me. As I've said many times on this very thread, and which you appear to have not bothered reading, I had no issue with baker's tweet and could understand what the original intent of the tweet was.

And yes, my real name is Lance Dopestrong. I mean, what are the odds of a World class cyclist coming to notoriety who's name was Lance Armstrong and who like to dope up to win races? As you can see from my avatar, I even look like him, except for my ripped and muscular body. The irony of all this is not wasted, particularly among the fans of my charity, the Dopestrong Foundation.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:No, it wasn't me. As I've said many times on this very thread, and which you appear to have not bothered reading, I had no issue with baker's tweet and could understand what the original intent of the tweet was.

Excellent! So we can move on then. Glad to hear it old chap.

[Edited to remove incorrect involvement of Mr Postboxer.]
Last edited by mattheus on 14 May 2019, 10:41am, edited 2 times in total.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

mattheus wrote:
Lance Dopestrong wrote:
Postboxer wrote:No, it wasn't me. As I've said many times on this very thread, and which you appear to have not bothered reading, I had no issue with baker's tweet and could understand what the original intent of the tweet was.

Excellent! So we can move on then. Glad to hear it old chap.

Except the above quote in your post is not by me. Doesn't matter though.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Sorry!!!! editing finger trouble ...
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

mattheus wrote:Sorry!!!! editing finger trouble ...

Was that contrite enough? :?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I think the Sun have summed up events rather well here:

Exasperated Danny Baker says ‘it’s not me!’ as Twitter trolls confuse him with shamed BBC star
Keyboard warriors gang up on a man with the same name as the axed BBC presenter after mixing up the two Danny Bakers

Danny Baker (not the real one) tweeted: “I AM NOT THE DANNY BAKER PLEASE STOP GETTING ME MIXED UP WITH THE PRESENTER ONE!”

One twitter user, called Nigel Farrage, tweeted to him: “Racist scumbag.”

But Danny Baker replied: “Why the **** am I a racist scumbag? Who the **** are you?”

Nigel Farrage replied: “Don’t turn this on me! The picture you posted had clear racist overtones.”

Danny Baker then wrote: “I haven’t posted any pictures - I think you’ve got your Danny Bakers mixed up.”

He later posted: “Some people need to check who they’re tweeting – made himself look a bit of a t**.

“I await his apology.”

Danny Baker (not the real one) even contacted the axed radio presenter, tweeting: “I’m getting **** because people think I’m you!”

The 38-year-old dad-of-one from Northampton told Sun Online he thought the real Danny Baker’s chimp tweet was “disgusting” and he “deserved to be sacked.”

He told Sun Online: “It is certainly been an experience. Some funny, some banter - some not so nice and genuinely think I’m Danny Baker.

He was branded a "racist scumbag" by one man

“It started last night. We were watching TV and I got a tweet from someone calling me a racist.

“I didn’t know what Danny Baker had tweeted. I have had direct messages saying “vile, racist pig.”

He added: “I suppose it is the day and age we live in where people are keyboard warriors.

"I have avoided Twitter today.”

He said some tweets were so offensive Twitter blocked them before he read them
Lance Dopestrong

mattheus wrote:Excellent! So we can move on then. Glad to hear it old chap.

It is a great shame that you once again feel the need to resort to being patronising instead of engaging in a sensible conversation.

I had no issue with Baker's tweet, and I believe I understood the vein in which he had intended it.

I do have issues with his behaviour since then. His apologies have been qualified at best, which calls into question the sincerity with which they were made. Also, comments made at his live stage show over the weekend suggest he is not sorry at all, and lays the blame at the door of the people who were offended by the tweet, even though it was he that typed it.

So there are 2 issues:

1. The tweet.

2 Baker's subsequent behaviour since the tweet.

That's two different issues. I have no problem with the former. I do take issue with the latter. That's as simple as I can make it.

In fact, it is so simple that I fail to see how any reasonable adult could understand it. This being the case, the only reasonable conclusion to be drawn is that you are feigning indignation.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:
In fact, it is so simple that I fail to see how any reasonable adult could understand it. This being the case, the only reasonable conclusion to be drawn is that you are feigning indignation.

I wonder if that us what you meant to say?

My own view is also simple: Baker makes his living in the communication business. He should know better so both his original tweet and subsequent comments are crass. He is a prize clown. I'm glad my licence fee is no longer supporting him.
John
pwa

Post by pwa »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Note to self - Cugel for Justice Minister when I'm finally made PM.

Hang em high! :lol: