Walking shoes

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Walking shoes

Post by mercalia »

Any one know of decent cheap walking shoes? not for miles and miles orienteering, just odd mile in town. I dont seem to have any as in the past I used my bike or m/c all the time with minimal walking.
Bonefishblues

Re: Walking shoes

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cheap being up to £?

These guys are good IME

https://www.sportsshoes.com/products/me ... /?s=4&l=20
Boogaloo

Post by Boogaloo »

Mountain Warehouse are pretty cheap. Won't last long if you walk 20 miles a day but will be fine and instantly comfortable for occasional use,
Next level up might be Cotswold Outdoor. Loads on sale on their website and you can order them to try on in your local branch.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’m currently walking, for the last 3 yrs, in a pair of Grisport walking shoes. They still look good and there must be another 3 yrs left in them. They were inexpensive to buy ( circa £60) so if they last 6 yrs that in my book makes them cheap.
Mrs P can’t get comfort out of any cheap ones she’s tried. Always ends up with Meindl as their last suits her. Twice the price of mine but last no longer.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I have a pair of Skechers Relacxed Fit Memory Foam Boots which Ive worn almost daily for a couple of years. I use them for walking in town, in the country (unless very muddy, where I use proper walking boots). Summer and Winter alike.

I walk in them, drive in them, and occasionally ride in them when its cold out there. I use them when we are on holiday in the caravan - wet grass on the pitches! - and wear them all day sometimes. They are very comfortable and I wouldn't be without them - since I've had them I rarely use my "proper" walking boots!.

Worn with ordinary trousers they look just limke stout shoes.

They are a bit like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/302878122185?chn=ps, I got them cheap from the skechers outlet in Resort World (part of the Birmingham NEC complex)
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Paulatic wrote:I’m currently walking, for the last 3 yrs, in a pair of Grisport walking shoes. They still look good and there must be another 3 yrs left in them. They were inexpensive to buy ( circa £60) so if they last 6 yrs that in my book makes them cheap.
Mrs P can’t get comfort out of any cheap ones she’s tried. Always ends up with Meindl as their last suits her. Twice the price of mine but last no longer.

Thanks for all the ideas. I dont really like walking but need to do some to cure a bad back it seems

I had a google and they look nice and not too much. What about fitting size? Should you allow for thicker socks?

I saw these

https://www.newforestfootwear.com/exmoo ... gL_YPD_BwE
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Walking for "the odd mile in town" doesn't need anything special, just something that fits you reasonably well and that you find comfortable. Find a shoes shop, try stuff on. Comfort will out.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pjclinch wrote:Walking for "the odd mile in town" doesn't need anything special, just something that fits you reasonably well and that you find comfortable. Find a shoes shop, try stuff on. Comfort will out.

well true but shoes from shoe shops are expensive these days, inflated prices in my opinion for flimsy items, most shoe shops sell designer shoes not intended to walk far in but to get you to the office and back?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mercalia wrote:
Paulatic wrote:I’m currently walking, for the last 3 yrs, in a pair of Grisport walking shoes. They still look good and there must be another 3 yrs left in them. They were inexpensive to buy ( circa £60) so if they last 6 yrs that in my book makes them cheap.

Thanks for all the ideas. I dont really like walking but need to do some to cure a bad back it seems

I had a google and they look nice and not too much. What about fitting size? Should you allow for thicker socks?

I saw these

If you're up to £70 there's a lot of choice. I live in Keen shoes and boots, which are excellent. I've just walked the dogs in a pair of 10 yo Keen shoes.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mercalia wrote:

I saw these

I’ve a fairly wide foot and they suit me and they size correctly. Walking is good for you anyway I do 20-30 mls a week durin* the winter and around 20 a week through the summer. For back trouble which I suffered with all my working life, knowing what I know now, I always recommend Pilates. Wish I’d discovered it years ago I’m a new man since I did.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
freiston

Post by freiston »

When I had to have "proper" shoes due to work dress codes, I used Brasher shoes but otherwise, I wore the type reminiscent of trainers by Merrell (always bought in a sale). Now that I am currently out of work, I reckon that I'll give Decathlon a go. As it happens, my Merrells are lasting a long time and so I haven't had the chance to try the Decathlon ones yet. I did notice that they had some Merrell and some Columbia (a brand that my good lady has worn and liked) at what seemed a good price).
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Army issue Magnum trainers (think NHS use them too), I just bought a mint used pair off ebay for £19 posted. Vibram sole, good grippy sole and decently weatherproof.
I never had the luxury of trainers during my stint but to avoid ankle/foot injuries during training, company runs and other activities that don't really need boots it makes sense.
That said I've used Hi-Tec quite a bit and still have a very well used pair of 'trail' type shoe for doing the gardening in, they saw many, many miles of walking and indeed some fitness training. Look up hi tec trail on ebay and there are dozens of new/boxed trail type trainer/boots for under £30

Most comfortable cycling shoe for me is a pair of Northwave Mission, I could walk for miles in them no bother, again these had a vibram sole, there's a few examples on the bay of e as they were stopped AFAIK by Northwave Here's an example direct from a shop https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Northwave-Mi ... Swaalb8sja
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

Another thumbs up for Grisport from me.

My Grisport Dartmoor shoes are just coming up to two years old. They are worn EVERY day and still look great. I walk and cycle in them (walk 25 miles/week...cycle 80 miles/week) and they still have plenty of tread left. They are really comfortable and surprisingly water resistant (I never expected that). I haven't done anything special to look after them, a quick blast of Dubbin every six months and that's it, they still look almost new.

I don't impress easily but I would recommend these shoes all day long.
PH

Post by PH »

If there's a branch near you, Go Outdoors usually have a decent selection, everything from serious walking boots to casual trainers, they often have stuff in store that isn't on the website. I have a pair of Cotswold walking shoes from there which have served me well, though they're a bit overkill for Tarmac.
For urban walking, which I do a fair bit of, I like Clarks, they have a sale at least twice a year which is the only time I buy and spend up to £50.
I wish I could work out what I do and don't like about shoes, I either end up with a pair I can live in or they get worn a few times and go into the back of the wardrobe till I get sick of looking at them and give them away.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I always wear my shoes out, although the ones I throw away today are normally the ones I've kept too long, an then because my feet have grown :?

I couldn't recommend a walking shoes today, because manufacturers are changing hands too quickly and thus quality is suffering.

Walking shoes on concrete/footpath should Have quite rigid soles, I E take the shoe in both hands and grip heel and the toe, And try and twist the sole.
Also grip the heel And push the toe with the palm of your hand.
If you can twist the sole with your fingers alone And bend the toes easy that is more suitable as a running footwear not walking.

Many people believe that you would need or want boots for walking on hard surfaces that's flat surfaces.
The only reason for Boots is for waterproofing where you're walking through water also it would come over shoes or unpathed footways, The latter is safer and more comfortable if you have boots with good lateral stiffness.

I'm still looking for some good walking shoes .
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.