PlusMinus

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Bonefishblues

Re: PlusMinus

Post by Bonefishblues »

I rather despaired yesterday when (in the car) Tipper Man* decided to straight line a corner and push me and Mrs BFB onto the kerb/verge. Unlike a bike where I'd have been lying bleeding or worse, I was able to turn round, catch him up, drive in a position where I could see his company name (Witherley btw) on the side of the tipper. At which point he stopped (knowing damn well what he'd just done, I think), got out and approached me.

Interesting exchange, where I was informed I was driving like a looney :lol: and that it was the road's fault around here, not his :o . The conversation ended there, he's been reported to his company, who haven't responded, so we've gone with the Chair of our Parish Council, our local County Councillor, and escalation to East West Rail by the Councillor.

Compare and contrast with the drivers of local agricultural vehicles who drive with control and courtesy. I've just had enough - if he'd have offered a simple apology, then it would have ended there, but sadly not, so let's see how much pain I can cause him and his company...

*East-West Rail works preparations on designated routes, see.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Can I just point out today we may very well end up buying a white van very soon. Not our preference but for the money we have and what is available, white van is probably unavoidable.

I have no intention of driving like the stereotypical WVM BTW. And it won't be a white van for long but a white campervan as soon as we can manage to get it converted.

Not all WVM is irresponsible. As always minority examples of poor behaviour is treated as the norm. WVM isn't a homogeneous driver type just as cyclists aren't ahomogenous, silly commuter racing nutjob type RLJing and riding dangerously.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Tangled Metal wrote:Can I just point out today we may very well end up buying a white van very soon. Not our preference but for the money we have and what is available, white van is probably unavoidable.

I have no intention of driving like the stereotypical WVM BTW. And it won't be a white van for long but a white campervan as soon as we can manage to get it converted.

Not all WVM is irresponsible. As always minority examples of poor behaviour is treated as the norm. WVM isn't a homogeneous driver type just as cyclists aren't ahomogenous, silly commuter racing nutjob type RLJing and riding dangerously.

But when a WV approaches I will not know its you driving.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:Can I just point out today we may very well end up buying a white van very soon. Not our preference but for the money we have and what is available, white van is probably unavoidable.

No one every posted all WVM drivers are irresponsible,in fact I find on the whole they tend to be quite well behaved TBH.
The description I gave was of a WVM not all or the majority of WVMen.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I'm just using the WVM stereotype and the fact I'm buying one to point out the mode of transport doesn't define how safe or rule obeying you are. That's assuming you can believe that I'm a safe or rule obeying driver that is. Quite possible you don't believe that of course.

I'm certainly not accusing anyone of actually using the acronym WVM in a derogatory way. It has entered common parlance as a derogatory term with a connection to bad driving habits. My personal view is bad driving among van drivers is not related to colours but more to other factors. Personally I think people who drive company vans with identification tend to be better purely because they're at risk of losing their job if they can't drive. Man with van types, people driving builders vans and scruffy vans I am more wary about.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

OK,point taken :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:The other day in my car I rounded a corner at about 35mph (a 40mph limit in place) and came across two young men on bikes on the wrong side of the road.

They may not have been terrorists but they were certainly idiots.

If you had to brake heavily maybe you were going too fast, one should drive at such a speed that one may stop within half the distance one can see to be clear

So it was my fault. These men were quite in order after all. And I never said that I had to brake heavily and I really do know how to drive a car and won't take lessons from someone who frivolously presses stop buttons on pedestrian crossings.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do not frivolously press buttons, I have explained elsewhere why I do it
There was a big jam in town today, I pressed the buttons several times to increase congestion, maybe some motrons will learn, park in the suburbs and walk into town next time

I did not suggest it was your fault, but when driving one should reckon with anything round the next corner, stalled vehicle, fainted person, dead animal, fallen tree
When the maximum speed limit is 40 mph maybe one could aim for 40 kmh max to reduce danger, I try to avoid braking altogether

I do not frivolously press buttons
What are you doing to fight traffic crime?

I am willing to learn from those with different opinions, even from e-bike riders :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Reporting people who frivolously press buttons on crossings. :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Tangled Metal wrote:Reporting people who frivolously press buttons on crossings. :wink:

Not frivolous, not sniggering, how many times do I have to repeat that? Won't become true if you and others make claims about me, Read My Posts :wink:
You may report me for driving comfortably inside the maximum speed limit if you like, the cops stopped me for that once, I am proud to report. Never been stopped for going too fast, mind
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Reporting people who frivolously press buttons on crossings. :wink:

Not frivolous, not sniggering, how many times do I have to repeat that? Won't become true if you and others make claims about me, Read My Posts :wink:
You may report me for driving comfortably inside the maximum speed limit if you like, the cops stopped me for that once, I am proud to report. Never been stopped for going too fast, mind

It was meant as a joke. Kind of repeating the phrase as a joke. Probably came across as winding you up, sorry. I was trying to make light of the idea that you'd frivolously press buttons on crossings. You have reasons whether others accept those reasons or not. Definitely not frivolous.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Pressing buttons several times to increase congestion!!! Just what is the point of that? You're just increasing pollution, wasting electric and making innocent motorists waste fuel while you loiter about sniggering and looking for bottled water in people's shopping bags!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

As explained elsewhere several times:
To make driving a bit more unattractive
So PoFs do not have to wait so long
In many cases stopping speeding crime too

I prefer to wait for a gap if I want to cross on foot, for one can never trust motrons to really stop and apply the handbrake and engage neutral, children are taught to wait until vehicles stop, often the lights have changed back by then so I one has to press again

Often one has to press twice at least, for example when the lights change but a bus blocks the crossing so one cannae cross
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Minus awful hot bright sunny weather
Plus do not have to go out
Minus chose to do a short ride to a dark theatre (Plus) to see the story of the Pied Piper (Plus) again (Plus)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Saw a PoF walking on a cycle lane
Did not bother trying to 'educate' her
Moved over to cycle on the footway, further away from the motorised terrorists
A fair swap, plusplus?