A Mars a day helps you work rest and play!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Re: A Mars a day helps you work rest and play!

Post by Cugel »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Fry's Turkish delight? More like Turkish jock strap. Foul tasting things.

99% hoof-boiliings with 1% pig-fat from around the nether.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:False memory syndrome? Surely no-one can really remember how something tasted 35 years ago :?
Not so sure about that. I can still vividly recall (with nausea) School dinners from the 1950s. Some of the horrible taste and texture sensations are, alas! unforgettable.

Right again Pete, I used to be banished to a table alone until I finished my semolina :?
But, is not semolina a sort of porridge? I love porridge now, and overcooked cabbage! :wink:

50s school dinners were made of 56% cabbage boiled for a week in laundry water with added hoof and gristle to make it a bit stiffer for the fork. But in the 60s, a lot of schools got their own canteens and staff, who produced olde-fashioned British fud of the rib-sticking variety, followed by proper puds such as spotted dick and jam roly-poly with custard on (or even chocolate sponge with pink custard)!

Semolina. rice pud, tapioca - these too were included but they too were well-made with plenty of full cream milk albeit too much sugar. I loved it all, except the liver which is a gagging-fud (along with them kiderneys).

Modern school fud is apparently all chips and pizza of the cheap & nasty kind. They should never have let the accountants in.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Not to mention mashed potatoes :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cugel wrote:
Modern school fud is apparently all chips and pizza of the cheap & nasty kind. They should never have let the accountants in.

Cugel

I thought you might have gone to the Grammar school, not the modern school.........
John
peetee

Post by peetee »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Not to mention mashed potatoes :wink:

They might have called it that but it was probably bleached newspaper pulp and wallpaper glue boiled in last week's cabbage water.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Cugel

I thought you might have gone to the Grammar school, not the modern school.........

The grammar school (grammar-technical school, to give it the full moniker) did allow me past their portal. In them days (1960s) in Tyneside they let the peasants in as there was only peasants there in Tyneside, apart from three middle class families who had got lost on their way from Edinburgh to that London.

It was a good school in many ways, although they forced a choice on you of "arts or sciences" in the 3rd form. I would have likesd to have done latin and maths/physics but was forced to choose the latter. They also offered lots of stuff in the expectation that many would go into the shipyards or other heavy industries all over the NE of England. Tech drawing including engineering design; woodwork and metal work to a fairly high standard. ...... Of course, all that industry faded away from the 60s onwards.

But the reason that every pupil of the skool became very intelligent as well as extremely nice and good at spelin was the quality of the school dinners. That and all the beatings. :-)

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
peetee

Post by peetee »

Cugel wrote:
But the reason that every pupil of the skool became very intelligent as well as extremely nice and good at spelin was the quality of the school dinners. That and all the beatings. :-)

Cugel

Just down the road in Teesside the beatings were necessary to mask the pain that was caused by school dinners
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

'Broccoli or Sprouts?'
Headline in the Sydney Morning Herald to describe the choice between two unpopular politrickians

I would have both please (both sorts of vegetable I mean) :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cugel wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Cugel

The grammar school (grammar-technical school, to give it the full moniker) did allow me past their portal. In them days (1960s) in Tyneside they let the peasants in as there was only peasants there in Tyneside, apart from three middle class families who had got lost on their way from Edinburgh to that London.

It was a good school in many ways, although they forced a choice on you of "arts or sciences" in the 3rd form. I would have likesd to have done latin and maths/physics but was forced to choose the latter. They also offered lots of stuff in the expectation that many would go into the shipyards or other heavy industries all over the NE of England. Tech drawing including engineering design; woodwork and metal work to a fairly high standard. ...... Of course, all that industry faded away from the 60s onwards.

Cugel

This fellow Tynesider also went to a Grammar School where we played rugger and learned Latin.
John
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

peetee wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Cugel

Just down the road in Teesside the beatings were necessary to mask the pain that was caused by school dinners

The ladywife, who is a full smoggy from Stockton then Middlebrough then Darlington then Yarm, tells me her school dinners were proper so I can only assume that some of the many smogs from ICI had got in yours. Mind, she is younger than us.

In her day they'd ceased beating the schoolchildren (well, the girls at least) as it only made them more savage. Mind, being a bit southern compared to Geordieland, Teesside child beating would have been nuthin! When we got beat they had to sow our hands back on at the wrist or even have the cane surgically removed from a not-nice place before we could go home. Oh yes they did!

Kids today? They don't know how lucky they are!

Still, at least we didn't have to worry about becoming drowned, roasted, impoverished, starved or made extinct by a Giant Capitalist with the most unacceptable of faces.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Cugel wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:

Cugel

This fellow Tynesider also went to a Grammar School where we played rugger and learned Latin.

Proper rugby with 14 ugly lads and one presentable one at the back who we all tried to make ugly in various ways, so he could be like the rest of us. I was a prop at the start but gradually went backwards until a full back, where they didn't have to make me ugly by trampling all over me before I could kick the bollock off up the field - being a former prop I'd already had me ears torn off and me nose squished.

I would like to know latin so I could utter obscure and pithy remarks once dreamt up in Rome by a clever old Roman. But perhaps there are Welsh equivalents I can pick up from a chatty farmer who has stopped my cycle ride with his tractor, just so he can talk for half an hour or so, despite the cutting wind?

Don't know about you but I gave up rugby when head stamping became a thing. Cycling is so much more civilised, except if racing against The Mercury.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes