Other hobbies - cabinetmaking

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Re: Other hobbies - cabinetmaking

Post by Cugel »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:How easy/difficult is it to make a bow Cugel?

I am a bit reluctant to acknowledge any sort of cheer so rarely make a bow. It's 'cause I yam shy.

However .... if I have to, I bend at the waist, trying to remember to face forwards not backwards as the backward-facing bow tends to show my tremendous glutes which, because maximised by all that cycling and other thrusting, can cause offence if shown in their full glory to a bystander.

So, to answer your question: it's easy and difficult, all at the same time. Life is full of these practical paradoxii, eh?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:

Very difficult.
That said,anyone can make a bow,but not everyone can make bow.
As for shooting a bow I recommend the book Zen on the art of Archery,a great book.

Ha ha - another book I has also! You haven't been 'round "borrowing" my books, have 'ee? The ladywife can be overgenerous with my things, especially if I leave them on all the tables, chairs, cupboard-tops, floor, stairs, ........

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

From time to time I watch youtube videos of people making wooden items, sometimes furniture. These videos are interesting in a way but so much machinery gets used it takes the hand skills away. I recognise skills are needed but of a different kind.
I'm assuming 'green woodworking' entails the use of very few power tools?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Very difficult.
That said,anyone can make a bow,but not everyone can make bow.
As for shooting a bow I recommend the book Zen on the art of Archery,a great book.

Ha ha - another book I has also! You haven't been 'round "borrowing" my books, have 'ee? The ladywife can be overgenerous with my things, especially if I leave them on all the tables, chairs, cupboard-tops, floor, stairs, ........

Cugel

I didn't like mentioning it but......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

francovendee wrote:From time to time I watch youtube videos of people making wooden items, sometimes furniture. These videos are interesting in a way but so much machinery gets used it takes the hand skills away. I recognise skills are needed but of a different kind.

There's a few hand tool and green woodworking video series on YouTube.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Never quite sure to call all my interests hobbies but enjoy walking, tinkering and getting broken things to work, cooking and a bit of sailing.
I owned a small yacht 25 years ago and loved the fact you can make a journey without any type of motor, just like cycling.
I was given a Mirror dinghy that I remembered as being in 1st class condition. I had to collect it from the UK and got a shock when I saw it. It had been left outside and was very rotten. They are made of very thin marine plywood, glued and stitched together with fiberglass resin. I didn't like to turn it down as my friend was keen for me to have it.
It took me a while but after taking all the rotten plywood away I saw it was possible, just, to repair it.
The photograph is of it's first outing with the donor of the boat on the tiler and me as crew.
The other photos are of the damage to the hull. Luckily the rigging and sails were in good order so in all it cost me about £100 to get a usable dinghy. I only use it occasionally but enjoy it when I do even with the low boom and me 6' tall with less suppleness than I had.
Attachments
dinghy 002 (3).JPG
dinghy 002 (2).JPG
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

francovendee wrote:From time to time I watch youtube videos of people making wooden items, sometimes furniture. These videos are interesting in a way but so much machinery gets used it takes the hand skills away. I recognise skills are needed but of a different kind.

Ha - you have touched upon a subject that gets many a woodworker's collar hot. The great debate between the machinists and the hand toolers.

Perhaps it won't surprise you to hear that the no-machines woodworkers can be not just a bit purist but the full zealot! They fulminate agin' all and any machine. Some don't even like the more complex handtools, which they dismiss as "over-jigged". (The jig is the topological arrangement of tool gubbins that guides the user in it's use, such a fence on a handplane; or the frog holding the blade of the handplane at the right angle).

The machinists tend to be more pragmatic types, for whom a machine is a useful way to reduce otherwise tedious hours of work. They will use a planer-thicknesser of some 3-6 horsepower to flatten a plank, to square it's edges and to make it evenly thick. The same can be done with a plane or an adz. It will take approximately 50X as long - and that's not counting the 300 days to learn how to adz properly before you start on a valuable plank. :-)

Some machinists are a bit zealous in their own way. They dismiss the "hand of the maker" evidence of handtool use in the wood surfaces in favour of a factory-made look, as "this is what people want and expect now - perfect surfaces, joints and corners". It is the case (sadly) that many get their aesthetic judgements about what furniture should look like from IKEA.

Personally I like to do the grunt work with machines but all the final shaping and construction with hand tools. I like the piece to be well-made - to look as though it was made by someone competent at the required skills to make it. But I have no desire to spend a week trying to adz a plank. And then another ten of them.

One advantage of using handtools is that it teaches you a lot more about the nature of wood. A machine doesn't feel the various resistances to it's edge (although it does give clues via changes in the motor noise and feedrate). When using a handtool, the make-up and behaviours of the grain tell you a lot about the timber via the feel of the tool in the wood transmitted to your hands. This is experience well worth having when considering which bits of timber to use for what.

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
pwa

Post by pwa »

When I used to install farm gates on a regular basis I preferred a brace and auger to a cordless drill because it did the job with not much effort and never ran out of juice. If I used a cordless at all it was on the smaller holes on the gate itself, rather than the larger bore jobs on the gate post.

But back at the workshop when processing large numbers of oak pieces for batches of picnic benches and the like I tended to use a corded drill, since doing it with a brace would add considerably to the time taken when drilling maybe a hundred holes in a day. And not much benefit in cordless when you have a mains socket close by.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Cugel, for me the line is: by all means use a machine for roughing out, possibly even squaring up the timber. Where it reminds me more of my days working lathes and milling machines at work, is when wood is cut or shaped by machine. Cutting pieces of wood square and to the same length is a skill that only people who can't do it appreciate.
I have a few power tools and quite a lot of hand tools. Part of the fun is figuring out a way to do something without buying another tool that you don't have. It sometimes makes the job harder/slower but for me it's more enjoyable for that challenge.
I like to look around junk shops and in the past have picked up old woodworking tools for little money. The best was a Stanley combination plane for £5. Nobody wanted it because it was very rusty and the seller was glad to get rid of it. Doing it up was another pleasure.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:Superb! Wonderful job. When you become my justice minister you'll be able to make a set of high quality gallows :D

:lol: :lol:
+1
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Build and fly control line team race aircraft .... have done since I was 13 .... dying hobby these days .. but me and the grandson enjoy it .

IMG_4769.JPG
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

landsurfer wrote:Build and fly control line team race aircraft .... have done since I was 13 .... dying hobby these days .. but me and the grandson enjoy it .IMG_4769.JPG

Another of my many hobbies over the years. Is that a PAW diesel (or Oliver) ? I think I may still have my PAW somewhere.

Just resurrected this :-
Monterey.jpeg

2 channel RC from the 70s.

Quite jealous of Cudgels talent but can you assemble an MFI unit without the instructions. :wink:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

landsurfer wrote:Build and fly control line team race aircraft .... have done since I was 13 .... dying hobby these days .. but me and the grandson enjoy it .

IMG_4769.JPG

That's interesting, I thought it had all died out. I remember watching chaps flying them in my local Rec about 65 years ago. Engines seemed to be very temperamental and difficult to start. Have you ever had one come off the control lines?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Has this now morphed into the generic other hobbies thread :lol:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Out of wood I have made...

Model aircraft, rubber powered, control line speed and combat, gliders, free flight, mostly from my own designs, tweaked engines to deliver more power

Furniture of all sorts, wall units, tv stand, stools,

Several sailing dinghys

Green oak garden building

I enjoy doing my own design work and then making it. I was a design engineer for many years.

In our new (1820 grade II ) home that we moved into Tuesday there is plenty to do. An insulated glass workshop in the garden for my daughter. Shutters for various rooms to match existing ones. Half circle window frames to recreate windows blocked up in the coachouse and stables. Raised beds for a vegetable patch. Work schedule lasts til about 2030 if I last that long. :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......