I drove a normal car yesterday

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
squeaker

Re: I drove a normal car yesterday

Postby squeaker » 27 May 2019, 10:39am

Mick F wrote:Valves are electrically driven too, so no cam belt or chain.
Really? :shock: My, things have moved on. I knew valve timing was electrically controlled, but thought the heavy mechanical work was still done by the camshaft... :wink:
"42"

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 27 May 2019, 10:46am

Mick F wrote:
pwa wrote:My Golf has the light switch on the dash to the right and it isn't a problem. I've never thought of it as an issue.

It also has the arrow thing to indicate when it thinks i should change gear, and I ignore it because half of the time it is wrong. Like when I select third because I see a 30 sign ahead and want to slow down and stay slowed. I also do the same sort of thing in slow moving traffic so that every time I lift my foot off the gas I get an immediate braking effect even before my foot reaches the brake pedal. The arrow thing on the dash doesn't understand that sort of thing.
Never driven a VW.

Oh yes I have!
We rented a Beetle in circa 1975 from Hertz in Edinburgh.

As for gears, I always state the mantra about speed limits.
3rd in a 30, and 4th in a 40.

Can't do that with an automatic, and obviously can't do that with a Hybrid or EV.

Yes you can Mick

Lance Dopestrong

Postby Lance Dopestrong » 27 May 2019, 11:21am

squeaker wrote:
Really? :shock: My, things have moved on. I knew valve timing was electrically controlled, but thought the heavy mechanical work was still done by the camshaft... :wink:

Piezo-electric valves and electro-mechanical valves have yet to make it beyond prototypes. Was it LaunchPoint who came closest, but still never made it to market? Honda and Lotus had camless hydraulic valves working in the 80's, but they never attempted to bring them to market. Leaving two strokes and wankel motors aside, valves are still mechanically actuated, albeit those mechanical actuators themselfes are now often subject to a degree of electronic governing.
https://themediocrecyclist.home.blog
Self employed MIAS L5.B Instructor.
Warwickshire Lowland Rescue Bike lead.
IPMBA certified member.
Cyctech C2 hammer and crowbar bodger.
Lapsed CTC Ride Leader, amateur hour stuff from the fun old days.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 27 May 2019, 2:28pm

squeaker wrote:

As far as I understand it, there isn't a camshaft at all.
If there were, how would it be driven?

The engine in our Yaris Hybrid, as well as the Prius, changes from being a simulated Atkinson Cycle to an Otto Cycle as required.
All seemless and unknown to the driver.

This cannot be done with a "variable" camshaft. Better minds than I could explain it no doubt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkinson_cycle
Mick F. Cornwall

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 27 May 2019, 2:38pm

Mick F wrote:
squeaker wrote:

The engine in our Yaris Hybrid, as well as the Prius, changes from being a simulated Atkinson Cycle to an Otto Cycle as required.

This cannot be done with a "variable" camshaft. Better minds than I could explain it no doubt.

2019 engine

http://2018carontheroad.com/wp-content/ ... rius-1.jpg

Lance Dopestrong

Postby Lance Dopestrong » 27 May 2019, 5:07pm

Mick F wrote:
squeaker wrote:

The Toyota system doesn't actually mimic the Atkinson Cycle that closely, as without the conrod-crank linkages it isn't possible to easily mimic the duration, particularly during the ignition phase of the cycle. However, in a true camless system - such as the Lotus hydraulic valves - it would be possible to faithfully mimic the short induction/compression and long ignition/exhaust phases while using a conventional crank. However, making it commercially viable is another matter entirely.
https://themediocrecyclist.home.blog
Self employed MIAS L5.B Instructor.
Warwickshire Lowland Rescue Bike lead.
IPMBA certified member.
Cyctech C2 hammer and crowbar bodger.
Lapsed CTC Ride Leader, amateur hour stuff from the fun old days.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 28 May 2019, 5:05pm

Mike Sales wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
francovendee wrote:. Like trains and modern signalling system , it will enable more cars to be on a given stretch of road. It should end road rage and tail gating 8)

I'd think there would be whole strings of cars tailgating :lol:

My heart sinks at this vision of roads packed with even more cars.
I can't imagine the chaotic result of a cyclist mixed into this.
As T.C. says, the result could be a banning of incompatible elements like us.

There's an article about the type of lobbying by the auto trades marketing people in today's Daily Telegraph.
Tesla owners call on EU to repeal 'crippling' new self-driving rules
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ ... ing-rules/

Unfortunately, it's behind their paywall and I've not been able to find the same story or a version of it elsewhere.