Tory leader - place your bets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cugel

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby Cugel » 25 May 2019, 10:08pm

reohn2 wrote:
bovlomov wrote:
mercalia wrote:Hard to back down from that?

Not for Johnson. According to Rory Stewart, Johnson promised him, only a few days ago, that he wouldn't campaign for no deal. What he promises or what he doesn't promise - it's all the same to him.

(I'm still going with my 2016 prediction, that Johnson will end up campaigning for remain.)

I'm convinced BoJo lives in an alternative reality that bears no resemblance to actual reality.....

.....thinking about it though that's not much different to the rest of the Tory party :roll:

BoJo has re-arranged reality as a new venture for The Bullingdon Klub. Now they break up the country and don't pay the bill for all the stuff they trash. Restaurant-smashing is too easy and no one likes to pay for their fun with cash! Well, not their own cash.

Actual reality is so old-hat now. Why bother with facts and all that when you can do what you want instead, supplying alternative facts (aka lies) as the fancy takes you? Facts are just a silly old raincoat coat that should be replaced by a T-shirt with a packet of fags up the sleeve!. (Oops - wrong socio-economic class metaphor).

Cugel, thinking of calling for two barmpot examiners and a mock village hall with a Maggie poster, with which to entice Tory loons for their examination.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 26 May 2019, 9:43am

If Johnson is looking even scruffier than usual in the coming days and weeks, bear in mind that he has a tea-tray stuffed up the back of his jacket.

Michael Gove is due to enter the race for Tory leader, challenging his former Vote Leave ally Boris Johnson.
It means the two figureheads of the official Leave campaign will battle for the right to steer the Brexit process to a conclusion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48411784
Thinks: Is that the right as in privilege or as in the remoter elements of the Tories :?:

Lance Dopestrong

Postby Lance Dopestrong » 26 May 2019, 9:54am

I'm sure BoJo is crapping himself. The only 2 Tories more inept than Gove, more disliked by the public, are Hunt and Grayling - Gove's not likely to be considered a favoured candidate by the public, and there's little point picking someone for his (supposed) ideological stance if he's that disliked outside of the party itself. That demonstrates quite a conceit on his part, and it's worrying that he is so self centred and so far detached from reality that he can't see this.

Still, my house is up for sale and I'm planning my move to the Moon.
https://themediocrecyclist.home.blog
Self employed MIAS L5.B Instructor.
Warwickshire Lowland Rescue Bike lead.
IPMBA certified member.
Cyctech C2 hammer and crowbar bodger.
Lapsed CTC Ride Leader, amateur hour stuff from the fun old days.

PH

Postby PH » 26 May 2019, 10:58am

thirdcrank wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48411784
Thinks: Is that the right as in privilege or as in the remoter elements of the Tories :?:

Mr Gove said: "I can confirm that I will be putting my name forward to be prime minister of this country.

What other country might he be putting his name forward to be PM of?
I'm not sure if he, along with some others, are running with any expectation they might win, or as spoilers for other candidates.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 26 May 2019, 11:01am

PH wrote:I'm not sure if he, along with some others, are running with any expectation they might win, or as spoilers for other candidates.

One thing's for sure,any Tory over the past ten years has proven to be a spoiler of almost anything they lay their hands on.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 26 May 2019, 11:16am

PH wrote: ... What other country might he be putting his name forward to be PM of?
I'm not sure if he, along with some others, are running with any expectation they might win, or as spoilers for other candidates.

Gove certainly spoiled it for Johnson last time round. My own feeling is that few MPs have no overriding personal ambition. It's not easy to stamp on somebody else's knuckles when you are shinning up the greasy pole but somehow they manage it.

Cugel

Postby Cugel » 26 May 2019, 2:05pm

PH wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48411784

Mr Gove said: "I can confirm that I will be putting my name forward to be prime minister of this country.

What other country might he be putting his name forward to be PM of?

Never-never land? The Disunited Kingdom of Utopian Sunlit Uplands? Great Britain called back from Victorian times with a time tunnel?

Perhaps he just means the few meadows, Edwardian villages and cluster of Satanic Mills comprising Little England?

A better discussion would concentrate on the issue of which Tory loon is the most loony-looking. After all, form should follow function! From that viewpoint, Govey and Bojo have a definite advantage. Govey is already a cartoon not unlike that lad from Mad comics; and Boris is an archetypal klown albeit with a strange half-guilty, half-sinister side-glance. The others just look like rodents of various kinds,

Unkind, I know. But not nearly as unkind as a Tory let loose upon "the country".

Cugel

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 26 May 2019, 2:10pm

Cugel wrote:A better discussion would concentrate on the issue of which Tory loon is the most loony-looking. After all, form should follow function! From that viewpoint, Govey and Bojo have a definite advantage. Govey is already a cartoon not unlike that lad from Mad comics; and Boris is an archetypal klown albeit with a strange half-guilty, half-sinister side-glance. The others just look like rodents of various kinds,

Unkind, I know. But not nearly as unkind as a Tory let loose upon "the country".

Cugel

I favour Lord Snooty as the most cartoonish.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 26 May 2019, 3:07pm

shame that Rhees-Moggy not standing for PM. He is the natural choice for the Empire? :lol:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 26 May 2019, 9:23pm

reohn2 wrote:One thing's for sure,any Tory over the past ten years has proven to be a spoiler of almost anything they lay their hands on.
True.
Very true indeed, but I'd add more years to that than ten.
Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 26 May 2019, 11:13pm

Mick F wrote:........ I'd add more years to that than ten.

Oh! I'd agree and you can count Thatcher and New Labour (the Tory party in red ties)in that,but I was being specific to the present buch of idiots.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mattheus

Postby mattheus » 28 May 2019, 12:20pm

Anyway, back to Rory McStewart (OBE):

Still got no chance of winning this, but he's deinfitely upped his social meeja game. This is a peach of an image:

https://twitter.com/RoryStewartUK/statu ... 9225219074

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 28 May 2019, 12:51pm

Farage should go for it? Join the Tory Party ( whats left of it )

By the way did Mrs May ever wear blue? I seem to remember her wearing RED clothes - hardly sends the right message? :lol:

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 30 May 2019, 7:37am

read all about it !

Dominic Raab 'more rightwing on education than Thatcher'
Labour attacks Tory leadership hopeful over proposal to allow firms run state schools for profit

so how can a state school be run for profit - only by charging parents fees? otherwise the money comes from the state and would mean some being creamed off as profit? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ols-profit

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 30 May 2019, 9:13am

seems like rhees-moggys new book hasnt got the the times best seller list
He has just 700 odd followers

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/sh ... GTUK_email