Tory leader - place your bets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Post by Mick F »

Just a thought ...........

The old saying is that policemen seem to be getting younger these days ............ because you yourself are getting older! :D

However, is there a statistic out there showing the average age of the MPs over the years?
Are they getting younger or not?
Mick F. Cornwall
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mick F wrote:Just a thought ...........

The old saying is that policemen seem to be getting younger these days ............ because you yourself are getting older! :D

However, is there a statistic out there showing the average age of the MPs over the years?
Are they getting younger or not?

I doubt individuals actually get younger, whether policemen or politicians. They age the same as the rest of us :-)
John
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

And the Tory party faithful think he's the best thing since slice bread :shock: :shock: :shock:
That said there's many others think the same of Nigel Farage :roll:
It must be something in the water..........
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

very interesting indeed. He is trope for all thats wrong with this country?

That article need to be saved here some where as a reminder what a **************************************************** he is?

pt 2 of this article by the way

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/06/14/the- ... -the-road/

we have every reason to BE VERY FRIGHTENED at his premiership?

He is the Anti-Christ of UK Parliament? The great liar?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Today's BJ campaign newssheet, AKA the Daily Torygraph leads with this frontpage headline

Boris Johnson pledges fast internet for every home by 2025
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... home-2015/

More gripping at (optic) fibres than straws, but targetting the backwoodsmen and women who will elect the next tory leader. Expect further pledges eg no more houses to upset NYMBYs (but escape clause allowing landowners and developers to build where they like.) A land of village greens, that would impress Rupert Brooke all built close together.

Commuter trains in the Home Counties improved to standards which Benito M could only dream of. High Speed Train scrapped: who wants to travel North at any speed?

Unlimited car parking and a ban on parking tickets.

A bit more blue sky thinking will pledge Heathrow to be returned to its previous natural state and business class travellers will be teleported across the globe.

All delivered with moving lips and fingers crossed.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

thirdcrank wrote:Today's BJ campaign newssheet, AKA the Daily Torygraph leads with this frontpage headline

More gripping at (optic) fibres than straws, but targetting the backwoodsmen and women who will elect the next tory leader. Expect further pledges eg no more houses to upset NYMBYs (but escape clause allowing landowners and developers to build where they like.) A land of village greens, that would impress Rupert Brooke all built close together.

Commuter trains in the Home Counties improved to standards which Benito M could only dream of. High Speed Train scrapped: who wants to travel North at any speed?

A bit more blue sky thinking will pledge Heathrow to be returned to its previous natural state and business class travellers will be teleported across the globe.

And a message for his current partner: This time he really means it.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

661-Pete wrote:I think most folks will remember what I was referring to - but in case not:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS5mVoqJpUk
WARNING: not work-safe and not family-friendly!

I knew what you were referring to. :wink:
I consider it Freudian slip!
Spoonerism is the exchanging of word initial consonants, AIUI.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

thirdcrank wrote:Today's BJ campaign newssheet, AKA the Daily Torygraph leads with this frontpage headline

I am waiting for my lunar body on a stick to come through.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I wonder, just wonder, whether the non-Boris support will coalesce around Rory as being the only remotely plausible antidote. The others - Grey Man 1, 2, 3, and there may have been a 4th, who knows, don't have a snowball's.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

You forgot the free blue rinse with every vote :shock:
W H Auden
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Bonefishblues wrote:I wonder, just wonder, whether the non-Boris support will coalesce around Rory as being the only remotely plausible antidote. The others - Grey Man 1, 2, 3, and there may have been a 4th, who knows, don't have a snowball's.

Not likely IMO. Stewart won't make the Top 4.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

reohn2 wrote:

And the Tory party faithful think he's the best thing since slice bread :shock: :shock: :shock:

Farage is also a threat to some labour areas because of Brexit. Just because Corbyn sticks his fingers in his ears when someone brings that up doesn't make it untrue.

As to tory faithful? I vote most of the elections for tory candidate but aren't a member. If that makes me a tory faithful then I can tell you Boris isn't my choice. I'm certain many tory voters are like me. The members aren't all the voters for the tories so I suspect if he becomes pm next GE he'll lose many tory voters just like me. If Labour ditches Corbyn and his lot to get a real leader I'll be voting Labour. If not I'm stuck for options.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Farage is also a threat to some labour areas because of Brexit. Just because Corbyn sticks his fingers in his ears when someone brings that up doesn't make it untrue.

As to tory faithful? I vote most of the elections for tory candidate but aren't a member. If that makes me a tory faithful then I can tell you Boris isn't my choice. I'm certain many tory voters are like me. The members aren't all the voters for the tories so I suspect if he becomes pm next GE he'll lose many tory voters just like me. If Labour ditches Corbyn and his lot to get a real leader I'll be voting Labour. If not I'm stuck for options.

I was meaning Tory party members when I said the "faithful",but more's the pity for you for voting Tory,
It's the Tories that's got the country in the utter mess it's in now,vote Tory vote mess,and a huge one at that! :?
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Re fast internet: maybe others have need for it, but I don't. OK I sometimes get a Youtube video momentarily hanging half way through: what I do is set the slider back a minute or two and resume watching from there, and the problem clears up. A bit annoying but I can live with it. For everything else I do on the internet, the current speed is fine. In fact it was perfectly good enough before we got upgraded to fibre.

If boris is offering this - there are more urgent things to consider.....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

reohn2 wrote:.................It's the Tories that's got the country in the utter mess it's in now,vote Tory vote mess,and a huge one at that! :?

I was born in 1944 - I learned about the Attlee government and what they did from relatives whilst I was growing up. I've been taking notice of political antics and national matters since I started work in 1960. From what I've seen, from what I've learned from what I've seen, and from experience I have to say that r2 is 100% right, and he sums it all up perfectly.