Tory leader - place your bets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Debs
Posts: 422
Joined: 19 May 2017, 7:05pm
Location: Powys

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby Debs » 28 Jun 2019, 2:15pm

kylecycler wrote:I'm sure I heard on the radio that the next Prime Minister is to be elected, effectively, by 0.26 per cent of the population, and from what you've written, that might even be an optimistic estimate.


Sounds about right, or 0.35% based on the 45.8m national electorate

reohn2
Posts: 35210
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby reohn2 » 28 Jun 2019, 3:48pm

Debs wrote:
kylecycler wrote:I'm sure I heard on the radio that the next Prime Minister is to be elected, effectively, by 0.26 per cent of the population, and from what you've written, that might even be an optimistic estimate.


Sounds about right, or 0.35% based on the 45.8m national electorate

That's democ(k)racy for you.
Now where are all those people who think by leaving the EU we'll be "taking back control" :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Psamathe
Posts: 9852
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby Psamathe » 28 Jun 2019, 8:05pm

Debs wrote:
kylecycler wrote:I'm sure I heard on the radio that the next Prime Minister is to be elected, effectively, by 0.26 per cent of the population, and from what you've written, that might even be an optimistic estimate.


Sounds about right, or 0.35% based on the 45.8m national electorate

With an average of 72 years. Or between 65 and 75. Estimates vary. https://www.bowgroup.org/policy/statement-average-age-and-analysis-conservative-party-membership-2019.

Ian

brynpoeth
Posts: 10520
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby brynpoeth » 28 Jun 2019, 8:11pm

I think the WMAWMs shall come to their senses and choose Jerry, can I get good odds on that?

Could BoJo upgrade to a being a cycling ambassador? Is he homeless?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

mercalia
Posts: 10784
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby mercalia » 29 Jun 2019, 8:49am

what would the Guardian writers do if they didnt have poor Boris to wax lyrical about?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... GTUK_email

ah the Guardian full of elitest intellectual snobs....

As his second-class degree suggests, his is a second-rate mind trying desperately to persuade us it is a first-rate one by using Latin tags and improper jokes. His useless, vapid books are the measure of the man.

seems like the Guardian is full of turds :lol: not just the French

Debs
Posts: 422
Joined: 19 May 2017, 7:05pm
Location: Powys

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby Debs » 29 Jun 2019, 2:48pm

Has anyone else noticed the subliminal reason why we have to endure weeks of bewilderment over the Tory Party power struggle?

I believe it's so they can talk the dogs hind legs off about how wonderful their model version of delivering Brexit will be, and why we need it.
The BJ & JH shows are merely preaching to the converted by touring around the UK to local Tory Party audiences who will only respond with jolly top ho positivity and applause, and all this crap shown repeatedly on the telly*
This blatant promotion of Tory-Brexit propaganda will be advertised for free on the BBC [ Brexit Bullshiting Corporation ] on a daily basis right up until 23rd July. :twisted:

*I will be watching the TdF instead :roll:

pete75
Posts: 11419
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby pete75 » 30 Jun 2019, 5:24pm

Psamathe wrote:
Debs wrote:
kylecycler wrote:I'm sure I heard on the radio that the next Prime Minister is to be elected, effectively, by 0.26 per cent of the population, and from what you've written, that might even be an optimistic estimate.


Sounds about right, or 0.35% based on the 45.8m national electorate

With an average of 72 years. Or between 65 and 75. Estimates vary. https://www.bowgroup.org/policy/statement-average-age-and-analysis-conservative-party-membership-2019.

Ian

And 95% white. The other 5% likely to be what my Indian friends call coconuts - brown on the outside white on the inside.

Mike Sales
Posts: 2835
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby Mike Sales » 30 Jun 2019, 5:30pm

pete75 wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
Debs wrote:
Sounds about right, or 0.35% based on the 45.8m national electorate

With an average of 72 years. Or between 65 and 75. Estimates vary. https://www.bowgroup.org/policy/statement-average-age-and-analysis-conservative-party-membership-2019.

Ian

And 95% white. The other 5% likely to be what my Indian friends call coconuts - brown on the outside white on the inside.


I don't suppose anyone from that 0.35 % is a member of this forum. If there is one, perhaps they might be loath to put their hand up.
I do get the impression that many members are in the right age range.

mercalia
Posts: 10784
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby mercalia » 30 Jun 2019, 8:00pm

it seems Boris' handlers have let him out in Cambridge

https://twitter.com/CambsCops/status/11 ... e-48818178

pete75
Posts: 11419
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby pete75 » 1 Jul 2019, 6:56am

mercalia wrote:what would the Guardian writers do if they didnt have poor Boris to wax lyrical about?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... GTUK_email

ah the Guardian full of elitest intellectual snobs....

As his second-class degree suggests, his is a second-rate mind trying desperately to persuade us it is a first-rate one by using Latin tags and improper jokes. His useless, vapid books are the measure of the man.

seems like the Guardian is full of turds :lol: not just the French


Given how he tries to make out he's very clever the guardian article is fair comment.
Even if that wasn't the case it's far less elitist or snobbish than Jacob Rees Mogg describing people who went to state schools as being like pot plants. He's a Tory though so I guess that's ok with you.

merseymouth
Posts: 875
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby merseymouth » 1 Jul 2019, 8:50am

Hi Pete75, You won't get to debate your points at University these days with your throwaway "Coconut" joke :shock: , very down on such thoughts or expressions!
But the point about the very limited cross-section of people who will elevate the next punter to the job of P.M. is very clear, not a valid cross-section of UK society!
But then again the make-up of the UK Parliament isn't exactly sound? Too many old Lawyers of the male gender! Maybe not enough Trans members???
IGICB MM

mercalia
Posts: 10784
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby mercalia » 1 Jul 2019, 8:57am

wow famous last words from Hunt

Business groups have expressed anger after Jeremy Hunt said he would willingly tell people whose companies went bust after a no-deal Brexit that their sacrifice had been necessary.



https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... GTUK_email

first there was Osborne who did the poor in
nowits Hunt who intends to do in businesses who suffer as a result of Berxit.#
makes me wonder who will be left after the Huntageddon

This is all getting unbelievable?

oh and did you know that Boris has some middle names?

Boris Piccaninny Watermelon Letterbox Cake Bumboys Haircut Inconclusive-Cocaine-Event Wall-Spaffer [moderated]-Business Get-Off-My-[moderated]-Laptop Johnson

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... GTUK_email

A good start to the week?

User avatar
bovlomov
Posts: 3896
Joined: 5 Apr 2007, 7:45am
Contact:

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby bovlomov » 1 Jul 2019, 9:14am

merseymouth wrote:But then again the make-up of the UK Parliament isn't exactly sound? Too many old Lawyers of the male gender! Maybe not enough Trans members???

Interestingly, the great amount of lawyers doesn't make for a great standard of debate, or a great body of legislation. It seems that lawyer training, far from providing protection against faulty logic, instead is a lesson in how to defend absolutely anything, and how to employ faulty logic for maximum effect. It's true that some of the best brains in Parliament are trained in the law, but so are many of the worst.

That the first trans MP will probably be another lawyer. I'm not sure that would be a step towards greater diversity.

pete75
Posts: 11419
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby pete75 » 1 Jul 2019, 10:10am

bovlomov wrote:
merseymouth wrote:But then again the make-up of the UK Parliament isn't exactly sound? Too many old Lawyers of the male gender! Maybe not enough Trans members???

Interestingly, the great amount of lawyers doesn't make for a great standard of debate, or a great body of legislation. It seems that lawyer training, far from providing protection against faulty logic, instead is a lesson in how to defend absolutely anything, and how to employ faulty logic for maximum effect. It's true that some of the best brains in Parliament are trained in the law, but so are many of the worst.

That the first trans MP will probably be another lawyer. I'm not sure that would be a step towards greater diversity.


But how many are successful lawyers? Keir Starmer certainly but who else? A lawyer's skill is to persuade. They do this by using whatever they have in the best possible way.

pete75
Posts: 11419
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby pete75 » 1 Jul 2019, 10:16am

mercalia wrote:wow famous last words from Hunt

Business groups have expressed anger after Jeremy Hunt said he would willingly tell people whose companies went bust after a no-deal Brexit that their sacrifice had been necessary.



https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... GTUK_email

first there was Osborne who did the poor in
nowits Hunt who intends to do in businesses who suffer as a result of Berxit.#
makes me wonder who will be left after the Huntageddon

This is all getting unbelievable?

oh and did you know that Boris has some middle names?

Boris Piccaninny Watermelon Letterbox Cake Bumboys Haircut Inconclusive-Cocaine-Event Wall-Spaffer [moderated]-Business Get-Off-My-[moderated]-Laptop Johnson

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... GTUK_email

A good start to the week?


He doesn't intend to do business in. It's Brexit that will do that. He's also proposing support for the fishing industry which is wrong. Apparently people working in it voted overwhelmingly for Brexit so they should suffer it's consequences without being subsidised by the rest of us.

Putin said in a recent speech that liberal values are dying. Trump in AMerica is proof of this as is the support for the Brexit party here. I suppose a populist form the fra right of the Tory party like Johnson will be another nail in it's coffin. One thing Putin said does ring true. He asked how can Britain call itself a democracy when only members of the ruling party can choose who is to be the country's next leader.