Tory leader - place your bets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mike Sales

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Post by Mike Sales »

He could go back to TV, playing the fool on reality shows.
I would even watch I'm a Celebrity to see him forcing down witchetty grubs or kangaroo knackers.
He couldn't do any harm stuck in the bush.
I wonder how he would do on Love Island?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Punch and Judy
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Remember back in 2014 when nationalists used to warn that if we failed to vote for independence we could end up out of the European Union and governed by Boris ­Johnson?

It was presented as an unlikely doomsday scenario to counter the worst unionist catastrophising over the economic wasteland Scotland would be rendered should it dare to break away from the UK.

I’ve read he’s coming to Dundee to deliver a strengthen the union speech. I can see that being interesting :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Paulatic wrote:I’ve read he’s coming to Dundee to deliver a strengthen the union speech. I can see that being interesting :D
Dundee, eh?

William McGonagall (not quite) wrote:Boastful Hairy Bojo of the silv'ry tongue,
Alas! I am very sorry to say,
That Scottish aspirations have been complet'ly taken away,
On the fourth Tuesday of July 2019,
Which [hopefully] will be forgot'n in a very short time...
Last edited by 661-Pete on 23 Jul 2019, 10:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

One of his supporters on R4 this morning under questioning about what failure and success for Boris would be. Kind of metrics. She said failure was not leaving EU by end of October. When pushed I don't recall if she said that should be a resigning matter for Boris.

Interesting was success but I switched off. Some blurb about Boris wanting to lift the test of the UK to the same productivity levels as London, which apparently is the same as Germany. The wishy washy statements that someone from Northern Town (iirc Wakefield) had the same prospects as someone from London. No details only that UK is short termist and it's a long term project but you've got to start.

I have no faith in biros if she is one on his side of the Tory party and likely to get a top job. I have no faith in Boris even if he had a cabinet of intellects like hawkings or Einstein.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Mike Sales wrote:He could go back to TV, playing the fool on reality shows.
I would even watch I'm a Celebrity to see him forcing down witchetty grubs or kangaroo knackers.
He couldn't do any harm stuck in the bush.
I wonder how he would do on Love Island?

Boris is a grub. Some have also suggested he may be a walking, talking knacker (not kangaroo, despite his bed-hopping) He'll certainly be trying it on with all of us. We'll be well-Borised by breakfast time.

Cugel, feeling fear & loathing.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

Heaven help us: I just hope heaven is listening.

John.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Hobbs1951 wrote:Heaven help us: I just hope heaven is listening.

John.

Oh I'm sure it is and finding it all very entertaining. The gods have given us free will for their amusement.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

hmm I thought this thread was done? if it is going to contiue it should be renamed?

THE BORIS SHOW
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mercalia wrote:hmm I thought this thread was done? if it is going to contiue it should be renamed?

THE BORIS SHOW

Maybe. I wonder whether it'd be better named as:
The "Борись" Show

Note the extra "ь" character at the end of the Russian rendering of "Boris". Apparently it changes the word from the name, to the expression "fight it". Quite apt, don't some of us think?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

'Boris' is far too endearing a term. No other PM gets first name reference. Can we call him Johnson?
John
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Wasn't there something about first names with Blair? "just call me Tony" Blair?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oldjohnw wrote:'Boris' is far too endearing a term. No other PM gets first name reference. Can we call him Johnson?

I prefer BoJo it sounds more,well,err,circus like :)

PS,I feel as if I've stepped into some altered reality world,a surreal fairytale world of lunacy that's causing me to constantly pinch myself and check if it's not a nightmare,unfortunately my arms are now covered in small bruises as a result :roll:
I just wonder how far we collectively have to sleepwalk along this mad path before we all wake up :shock:

EDIT:- talking of circuses the UK presently reminds me of one of those cars clowns use that falls apart bit by bit whilst the clowns run around it trying to fit the doors and wheels back on.
The problem being none of them have the expertise to fix it as they're all just dressed up show wo/men and constantly shun the experts as the audience looks on either horrified or splitting their sides laughing,as the vehicle slowly falls apart before their eyes :?
Last edited by reohn2 on 24 Jul 2019, 9:29am, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

reohn2 wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:'Boris' is far too endearing a term. No other PM gets first name reference. Can we call him Johnson?

I prefer BoJo it sounds more,well,err,circus like :)

Definitely BoJo.

He's an highbrow comedian, his opinion pieces were written as comedy.
In fact I'm struggling to see how he made the jump into politics.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote: ...In fact I'm struggling to see how he made the jump into politics.

I'm not :shock: :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden