Tory leader - place your bets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ben@Forest

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Post by Ben@Forest »

bovlomov wrote:Labour may not, but the Brexity Tories should.

In 2010 Priti Patel, Dominic Raab, Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng co-wrote Britannia Unchained, describing British workers as the “worst idlers in the world”. In a similar vein, Brexiters Katie Hopkins and Rod Liddle had a similar view of the British ("fat", "lazy", "chavmonkeys"), before their conversion, when they decided that white nationalism and anti-Islamism would be more profitable.

Touché. Debs just always characterises Conservative voters as toffs with top hats so l was surprised about the demonisation of the noble workers.

I work part-time for a council and part-time self employed; so I'm sometimes glorious hard-pressed public sector hero and sometimes scum of the earth. Today l was scum of the earth and sadly will be tomorrow again too...
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

Ben@Forest wrote:

In 2010 Priti Patel, Dominic Raab, Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng co-wrote Britannia Unchained, describing British workers as the “worst idlers in the world”. In a similar vein, Brexiters Katie Hopkins and Rod Liddle had a similar view of the British ("fat", "lazy", "chavmonkeys"), before their conversion, when they decided that white nationalism and anti-Islamism would be more profitable.

Touché. Debs just always characterises Conservative voters as toffs with top hats so l was surprised about the demonisation of the noble workers.

I work part-time for a council and part-time self employed; so I'm sometimes glorious hard-pressed public sector hero and sometimes scum of the earth. Today l was scum of the earth and sadly will be tomorrow again too...

Are there many toffs left in the party? Rees-Mogg's toffishness seems too self-conscious. Grieve perhaps? Tory supporting ladies are often characterised as 'blue rinse', even though that generation departed a decade or two ago.

As far as I can see, snobbism and disdain for the working classes seems to be fairly evenly distributed across the political spectrum.

You need to introduce yourself according to the situation. Council worker (wear a donkey jacket) or entrepreneur (don't wear a donkey jacket).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:

Both are true/right (a favorite phrase of mine)
The scum that rises to the surface? Have you checked for mails from BoJo? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies