Tory leader - place your bets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Post by Mick F »

mercalia wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Hunt today says he would give pm's Free vote to lift the ban on hunting :evil:
Just shows you the circles these people move in.
sounds good to me. I would like to go fox hunting in Streatham, London. Too many of the so and so here

Extract from the deeds to the place we used to live in up the road from here.
........... and reservations in favour of the Lord of the Manor of Calstock of water and water-rights and the loyalties liberties and privileges of hunting and fowling upon the said hereditaments and premises at his and their will and pleasure for ever were with other hereditaments conveyed unto and to the use .........
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:I doubt it will stop him trying but I doubt it will help his application.

well the Spectator has been looking into the matter

The IMF It needs radical change, and fresh agenda. Osborne has never shown any appetite for that. He would be perfectly competent at networking with the Davos set, but he has no real interest in economics, nor has he ever shown any desire to break with the reigning consensus. And that makes him the wrong person for the IMF.

omg and he was a in no. 11? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/07/g ... ning_Blend
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

People who have more influence on who will be our next P.M. than most of us.

Donors to Johnson's or Hunt's leadership campaigns. I am sure they are giving money out of public spirit.

A climate change denier.
A director of tax haven based companies.
A fox hunting enthusiast.
A banker with links to the Saudi regime.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/05/tory-leadership-donations-whos-really-backing-boris-johnson
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Who might be the next lib dem leader, next pm?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Given the state of democratic parties on the UK, I am wondering which armed revolutionary group to offer my support to. Isn't that what we are supposed to do when democracy fails? Voting Lib Dem would make me gag, Corbyn is, well, Corbyn, and Boris! (Various profanities self-censored here).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:Given the state of democratic parties on the UK, I am wondering which armed revolutionary group to offer my support to. Isn't that what we are supposed to do when democracy fails? Voting Lib Dem would make me gag, Corbyn is, well, Corbyn, and Boris! (Various profanities self-censored here).

Why?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:Given the state of democratic parties on the UK, I am wondering which armed revolutionary group to offer my support to. Isn't that what we are supposed to do when democracy fails? Voting Lib Dem would make me gag, Corbyn is, well, Corbyn, and Boris! (Various profanities self-censored here).

Why?
Some voters have never forgiven the Cleggster. I can't answer for pwa, but I'm guessing...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pwa

Post by pwa »

661-Pete wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Why?
Some voters have never forgiven the Cleggster. I can't answer for pwa, but I'm guessing...

Partly that, and the fact that they are "liberal" only until the electorate for something they hate (Brexit), at which point all that liberalness goes out the window and "we know best" takes over. The hypocrisy and........ Well, you get the picture. For me they have a bad smell.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:
661-Pete wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Why?

Partly that, and the fact that they are "liberal" only until the electorate for something they hate (Brexit), at which point all that liberalness goes out the window and "we know best" takes over. The hypocrisy and........ Well, you get the picture. For me they have a bad smell.

FWIW,I thought the Lib Dems sold themselves out forming a government with Camaron's Tories,but later realised they curbed at least some of the Tories excesses,which has since become evermore apparent when they formed a government with the help of the DUP.
And I suspect other people have come to the same conclusion,as for their stance on Brexit,well at least I know where they stand on the issue.
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:
661-Pete wrote:Some voters have never forgiven the Cleggster. I can't answer for pwa, but I'm guessing...

FWIW,I thought the Lib Dems sold themselves out forming a government with Camaron's Tories,but later realised they curbed at least some of the Tories excesses,which has since become evermore apparent when they formed a government with the help of the DUP.
And I suspect other people have come to the same conclusion,as for their stance on Brexit,well at least I know where they stand on the issue.

I see those points, but I still feel intense distaste for the Lib Dems all the same. Which leaves me with nobody to vote for without a firm clamp on my nose. Boris as leader should hamper the Tories, though, so at least I can feel happy for you on that score.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

You could vote for Plaid Cymru the Party of Wales, Plus One!
Or spoil your ballot paper in protest

The next election might not be for a few years, mind :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:You could vote for Plaid Cymru the Party of Wales, Plus One!
Or spoil your ballot paper in protest

The next election might not be for a few years, mind :wink:

Plaid / Lib Dem are more or less the same for me. Spoilt ballot paper looks like the best option at the moment. And yes, there is time for things to change.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

What stuff they curb during their coalition with tories? I read that a lot but curious where your evidence is. I'm not doubting you have good evidence backing that up but joining a supply type agreement with DUP when under a different leader isn't IMHO a good piece of evidence. For all his major faults "just call me Dave" isn't May and tories weren't under the thrall of the right wing quite so strongly.

I am honestly hoping to read the evidence but expect a random comment is free piece from a left circling journo hack. I personally believe it but can't see the evidence. I thank anyone in advance who can give me closure on this matter since I only read LibDems claiming it and others with their own reasons to claim it. Nothing evidenced yet.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tangled Metal wrote:What stuff they curb during their coalition with tories? I read that a lot but curious where your evidence is. I'm not doubting you have good evidence backing that up but joining a supply type agreement with DUP when under a different leader isn't IMHO a good piece of evidence. For all his major faults "just call me Dave" isn't May and tories weren't under the thrall of the right wing quite so strongly.

I am honestly hoping to read the evidence but expect a random comment is free piece from a left circling journo hack. I personally believe it but can't see the evidence. I thank anyone in advance who can give me closure on this matter since I only read LibDems claiming it and others with their own reasons to claim it. Nothing evidenced yet.

TBH it's quite hard to quantify and I can't point to specifics,only to say that Osborne's austerity plan may have been even more cutting than it was and that LibDems as was perhaps had a more moderate effect on that Tory government.
To judge that moderation perhaps we could look at the swing more to the right of the Tories since the 2015 GE.
Of course you'll sleight me for not being specific but I'll have to put up with that :)
W H Auden
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

reohn2 wrote:Osborne's austerity plan may have been even more cutting than it was and that LibDems as was perhaps had a more moderate effect on that Tory government.

Firstly, Osborne's austerity plan would not have seen the light of day *at all* were it not for the Lib dems, who IMO were interested only in their own egos at any policy expense.

Secondly, they enabled and propounded a poisonous and entirely untrue narrative about the cause of the recession being government overspending. Look where that is now, as Johnson and Hunt outbid each other from the magic money tree.

That said, their current policy position is the only sane one remaining amongst mainstream parties. Question is whether you trust them to stick to it, or its principles, when presented with the enticing whiff of a ministerial limo.