Tory leader - place your bets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
bovlomov

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Post by bovlomov »

pete75 wrote:
bovlomov wrote:
merseymouth wrote:But then again the make-up of the UK Parliament isn't exactly sound? Too many old Lawyers of the male gender! Maybe not enough Trans members???

Interestingly, the great amount of lawyers doesn't make for a great standard of debate, or a great body of legislation. It seems that lawyer training, far from providing protection against faulty logic, instead is a lesson in how to defend absolutely anything, and how to employ faulty logic for maximum effect. It's true that some of the best brains in Parliament are trained in the law, but so are many of the worst.

That the first trans MP will probably be another lawyer. I'm not sure that would be a step towards greater diversity.

But how many are successful lawyers? Keir Starmer certainly but who else? A lawyer's skill is to persuade. They do this by using whatever they have in the best possible way.

There are quite a few QCs among them. Joanna Cherry, Dominic Grieve, Geoffrey Cox, from memory.

Dominc Raab hasn't achieved those heights, but he's an interesting case. Astonishingly, he has a lot of legal experience at quite a high level. Yet, I've never heard or read anything he has said that makes look like anything but a complete idiot. It's an utter mystery. Are there two Dominic Raabs? Has he had a bang on the head?
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi again, Keir Starmer a model of success as a lawyer? He was a joke as the Director of Public Prosecution!
As has been said in politer terms Lawyers are mouths for hire, their moral compass is totally variable! IGICB MM
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:wow famous last words from Hunt

Business groups have expressed anger after Jeremy Hunt said he would willingly tell people whose companies went bust after a no-deal Brexit that their sacrifice had been necessary.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... GTUK_email

first there was Osborne who did the poor in
nowits Hunt who intends to do in businesses who suffer as a result of Berxit.#
makes me wonder who will be left after the Huntageddon

This is all getting unbelievable?

oh and did you know that Boris has some middle names?

Boris Piccaninny Watermelon Letterbox Cake Bumboys Haircut Inconclusive-Cocaine-Event Wall-Spaffer [moderated]-Business Get-Off-My-[moderated]-Laptop Johnson

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... GTUK_email

A good start to the week?

He doesn't intend to do business in. It's Brexit that will do that. He's also proposing support for the fishing industry which is wrong. Apparently people working in it voted overwhelmingly for Brexit so they should suffer it's consequences without being subsidised by the rest of us.

Putin said in a recent speech that liberal values are dying. Trump in AMerica is proof of this as is the support for the Brexit party here. I suppose a populist form the fra right of the Tory party like Johnson will be another nail in it's coffin. One thing Putin said does ring true. He asked how can Britain call itself a democracy when only members of the ruling party can choose who is to be the country's next leader.

Thats a joke, in Russia NO ONE BUT PUTIN can choose who is to be the country's (next) leader.
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote: One thing Putin said does ring true. He asked how can Britain call itself a democracy when only members of the ruling party can choose who is to be the country's next leader.

Thats a joke, in Russia NO ONE BUT PUTIN can choose who is to be the country's (next) leader.

Both things could be true. In other words: Putin's criticism is valid, but he's got a damned cheek.

This is a Putin tactic. Some years ago, a Spanish PM (Can't remember which) criticised the corruption in Russia. Putin's response was to draw attention to the high number of former Spanish mayors who had been convicted of corruption. You could argue that at least it shows the Spanish authorities have done something about it, but it's too late by then. Putin has his headline.

As long as western democracies are corrupt (to whatever degree), Putin has a ready response.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

bovlomov wrote:
mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote: One thing Putin said does ring true. He asked how can Britain call itself a democracy when only members of the ruling party can choose who is to be the country's next leader.

Both things could be true. In other words: Putin's criticism is valid, but he's got a damned cheek.

This is a Putin tactic. Some years ago, a Spanish PM (Can't remember which) criticised the corruption in Russia. Putin's response was to draw attention to the high number of former Spanish mayors who had been convicted of corruption. You could argue that at least it shows the Spanish authorities have done something about it, but it's too late by then. Putin has his headline.

As long as western democracies are corrupt (to whatever degree), Putin has a ready response.

well not necessarily unless you maintain that people living in democracies are or should be morally better /law abiding than those not. If you assume that people are just as corrupt the world over, that it is the natural state of mankind to deviate then that Spain is catching them shows the rule of law is working just fine - thats the way to reply to Putin? Its when all is quiet ie the crooks are in power, shows something is very wrong?
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

mercalia wrote:well not necessarily unless you maintain that people living in democracies are or should be morally better /law abiding than those not. If you assume that people are just as corrupt the world over, then that Spain is catching them shows the rule of law is working just fine - thats the way to reply to Putin? Its when all is quiet ie the crooks are in power, shows something is very wrong?

I didn't mean that Putin was drawing a fair comparison. He isn't. According to any reasonable measure, Russia is more corrupt than Spain. But as a propaganda tool, it's perfect.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Back to Boris, I was thinking whilst out for my lunchtime jog.

And I realised that if nothing else he'll finally answer the question:
"Who was the worst British PM?"
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

kwackers wrote:Back to Boris, I was thinking whilst out for my lunchtime jog.

And I realised that if nothing else he'll finally answer the question:
"Who was the worst British PM?"

I would rather he was a variant on the old question,
"Who was the best P.M. we never had?"
Instead he should be the answer to,
"Who was the worst P.M. we never had?"
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

any more takers?

October 31st ? September 30th? any one give me an earlier date/bid :shock: :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48819260

If I was the EU I would offer an earlier date to get rid the of the expletive deleted expletive deleted :shock:
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bovlomov wrote:
mercalia wrote:well not necessarily unless you maintain that people living in democracies are or should be morally better /law abiding than those not. If you assume that people are just as corrupt the world over, then that Spain is catching them shows the rule of law is working just fine - thats the way to reply to Putin? Its when all is quiet ie the crooks are in power, shows something is very wrong?

I didn't mean that Putin was drawing a fair comparison. He isn't. According to any reasonable measure, Russia is more corrupt than Spain. But as a propaganda tool, it's perfect.

And like BoJo,Putin only has to convince a small number of people to keep his hands on the handle of power! :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pete75

Post by pete75 »

merseymouth wrote:Hi again, Keir Starmer a model of success as a lawyer? He was a joke as the Director of Public Prosecution!
As has been said in politer terms Lawyers are mouths for hire, their moral compass is totally variable! IGICB MM

You've evidence for that?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
bovlomov

Post by bovlomov »

reohn2 wrote:
bovlomov wrote:

And like BoJo,Putin only has to convince a small number of people to keep his hands on the handle of power! :?

And when it comes to persuasion, presumably Johnson would ask Darius Guppy to do his dirty work.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:wow famous last words from Hunt

Business groups have expressed anger after Jeremy Hunt said he would willingly tell people whose companies went bust after a no-deal Brexit that their sacrifice had been necessary.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... GTUK_email

first there was Osborne who did the poor in
nowits Hunt who intends to do in businesses who suffer as a result of Berxit.#
makes me wonder who will be left after the Huntageddon

This is all getting unbelievable?

oh and did you know that Boris has some middle names?

Boris Piccaninny Watermelon Letterbox Cake Bumboys Haircut Inconclusive-Cocaine-Event Wall-Spaffer [moderated]-Business Get-Off-My-[moderated]-Laptop Johnson

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... GTUK_email

A good start to the week?

He doesn't intend to do business in. It's Brexit that will do that. He's also proposing support for the fishing industry which is wrong. Apparently people working in it voted overwhelmingly for Brexit so they should suffer it's consequences without being subsidised by the rest of us.

Putin said in a recent speech that liberal values are dying. Trump in AMerica is proof of this as is the support for the Brexit party here. I suppose a populist form the fra right of the Tory party like Johnson will be another nail in it's coffin. One thing Putin said does ring true. He asked how can Britain call itself a democracy when only members of the ruling party can choose who is to be the country's next leader.

It's not a joke, it's the truth. Only members of the Tory party will choose who is to be the country's next leader.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bovlomov wrote:And when it comes to persuasion, presumably Johnson would ask Darius Guppy to do his dirty work.

He certainly keeps some rather dubious company does our Boris :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Hunt today says he would give pm's Free vote to lift the ban on hunting :evil:

Just shows you the circles these people move in.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.