Tory leader - place your bets

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
Audax67
Posts: 4468
Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 9:02am
Location: Alsace, France
Contact:

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby Audax67 » 24 Jul 2019, 9:27am

Oldjohnw wrote:'Boris' is far too endearing a term. No other PM gets first name reference. Can we call him Johnson?


Long live Maud Lebowski.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

merseymouth
Posts: 952
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby merseymouth » 24 Jul 2019, 9:44am

Hi all, well, Boris has started well at promoting a sophisticated image in the media?
Front page of the Metro shows him in a "Benny Hill" pose!
But for me I am immediately drawn towards the works of P.G. Wodehouse, particularly Roderick Spode, the soon to be elevated Lord Sidcup.
The comparison is striking, the silly ass persona bites. I might make a link to I.D.S. as Jeeves? Toodley Pip. MM

Mike Sales
Posts: 3231
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby Mike Sales » 24 Jul 2019, 9:59am

I like to call him Piffle.
It's one of his superfluity of names and one of his favourite words.
As in
inverted pyramid of piffle
which turned out to be quite true.

pete75
Posts: 11653
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby pete75 » 24 Jul 2019, 10:30am

merseymouth wrote:Hi all, well, Boris has started well at promoting a sophisticated image in the media?
Front page of the Metro shows him in a "Benny Hill" pose!
But for me I am immediately drawn towards the works of P.G. Wodehouse, particularly Roderick Spode, the soon to be elevated Lord Sidcup.
The comparison is striking, the silly ass persona bites. I might make a link to I.D.S. as Jeeves? Toodley Pip. MM


Serious miscasting. Jeeves was highly intelligent.

Mike Sales
Posts: 3231
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby Mike Sales » 24 Jul 2019, 10:37am

pete75 wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi all, well, Boris has started well at promoting a sophisticated image in the media?
Front page of the Metro shows him in a "Benny Hill" pose!
But for me I am immediately drawn towards the works of P.G. Wodehouse, particularly Roderick Spode, the soon to be elevated Lord Sidcup.
The comparison is striking, the silly ass persona bites. I might make a link to I.D.S. as Jeeves? Toodley Pip. MM


Serious miscasting. Jeeves was highly intelligent.


I loved PGW's mickey take of Spode as leader of the Brownshorts.

pete75
Posts: 11653
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby pete75 » 24 Jul 2019, 10:52am

Mike Sales wrote:
pete75 wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi all, well, Boris has started well at promoting a sophisticated image in the media?
Front page of the Metro shows him in a "Benny Hill" pose!
But for me I am immediately drawn towards the works of P.G. Wodehouse, particularly Roderick Spode, the soon to be elevated Lord Sidcup.
The comparison is striking, the silly ass persona bites. I might make a link to I.D.S. as Jeeves? Toodley Pip. MM


Serious miscasting. Jeeves was highly intelligent.


I loved PGW's mickey take of Spode as leader of the Brownshorts.


Wodehouse's depiction of Spode was a little ironic in view of his paid collaboration with the Nazis. He never set foot in Britain after the war. If he had he'd have been put on trial for treachery.

Mike Sales
Posts: 3231
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby Mike Sales » 24 Jul 2019, 11:18am

pete75 wrote:
Wodehouse's depiction of Spode was a little ironic in view of his paid collaboration with the Nazis. He never set foot in Britain after the war. If he had he'd have been put on trial for treachery.


What I have heard is that his treachery amounted to no more than naively broadcasting on German radio. His motive was to reassure friends and family back in England that he was suffering few privations in internment.
It is easy to see that this could be used as propaganda by the Nazis, and seen as treachery by the British.
I have never heard that he was paid.
He lived in the USA after the war, so presumably he was not in bad odour there.
My mother retained the British antipathy to him. I expect he did not feel welcome here.

pete75
Posts: 11653
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby pete75 » 24 Jul 2019, 11:34am

Mike Sales wrote:
pete75 wrote:
Wodehouse's depiction of Spode was a little ironic in view of his paid collaboration with the Nazis. He never set foot in Britain after the war. If he had he'd have been put on trial for treachery.


What I have heard is that his treachery amounted to no more than naively broadcasting on German radio. His motive was to reassure friends and family back in England that he was suffering few privations in internment.
It is easy to see that this could be used as propaganda by the Nazis, and seen as treachery by the British.
I have never heard that he was paid.
He lived in the USA after the war, so presumably he was not in bad odour there.
My mother retained the British antipathy to him. I expect he did not feel welcome here.


That was his story and he was initially believed. MI5 files released in 1999 tell a somewhat different story. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/wode ... 19534.html

mercalia
Posts: 11107
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby mercalia » 24 Jul 2019, 1:38pm

well World at One was fun listening to Pericles Death Speech and all. One lady said he had 6 hours of eupohoria before.......

Oldjohnw
Posts: 1660
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby Oldjohnw » 24 Jul 2019, 3:45pm

So he's now PM. Rarely do you see such naked ambition, so ruthlessly deployed and so undeservedly rewarded.
John

Cycling and recycling

Tangled Metal
Posts: 5571
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby Tangled Metal » 24 Jul 2019, 3:52pm

Not since Bliar! :wink:

merseymouth
Posts: 952
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby merseymouth » 24 Jul 2019, 4:17pm

Hello again, Wodehouse was an innocent abroad when it came to Nazi Germany! He was manipulated and suffered distortion in the hands of Goebels & co.
He was never in the class of William Joyce when it came to treachery & treason. Gullible yes, Plum was a bit of an old woman.
The "Brownshorts & British Umbrellas for all typifies Spode. Great reading.
When it came to traitors to this country Edward VIII was streets ahead of all, what a waste of space!
Let's hope Boris proves the Jerimiahs wrong. IGICB MM

pete75
Posts: 11653
Joined: 24 Jul 2007, 2:37pm

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby pete75 » 24 Jul 2019, 4:45pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Not since Bliar! :wink:


Tony Blair was an able and competent politician. Johnson isn't.

reohn2
Posts: 35602
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby reohn2 » 24 Jul 2019, 6:34pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Not since Bliar! :wink:

You're beginning to sound like a BoJo supporter :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

windmiller
Posts: 393
Joined: 9 Feb 2009, 5:10pm

Re: Tory leader - place your bets

Postby windmiller » 24 Jul 2019, 6:41pm

pete75 wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Not since Bliar! :wink:


Tony Blair was an able and competent politician. Johnson isn't.


Tony warmonger Blair was anything but able and competent. Blair was a creepy trained toad to whoever sat in the White House, I have no doubt that his tongue whimpering would have even extended to Donald Trump had he been in charge back then.

Oh you forgot to thank Blair for bringing you brexit too. :lol: