A new tea pot

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Vetus Ossa

Re: A new tea pot

Post by Vetus Ossa »

rjb wrote:
Vetus Ossa wrote:Did someone say pasty.
I love um and living in Plymouth I have plenty of choices where to buy them.
My current favourite is The Barbican Pasty shop.
Back in my working days right outside my work place was, and still is Ron Dewneys and I would far too often pop in for one...or two :oops: . When they were good they were awesome, but they were not consistently so.

Dont you mean Ivor Dewneys. :wink:

Ivor Dewney in city centre, Ron Dewney Devonport. Brothers I think.
Never rated Ivor Dewney whough they are popular.
Last edited by Vetus Ossa on 24 May 2019, 1:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beauty will save the world.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rjb wrote:
Back in my working days right outside my work place was, and still is Ron Dewneys and I would far too often pop in for one...or two :oops: . When they were good they were awesome, but they were not consistently so.

Brothers.
Ron and Ivor.

....... and it's Dewdney.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Mick F wrote:
rjb wrote:

Brothers.
Ron and Ivor.

....... and it's Dewdney.

Well you are correct, though I have always pronounced them as Dewneys...probably a Plymouth thing.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We used to get Ron's in the dockyard. They delivered all over the yard including the ships. Hardly a morning went by without my eating one.
Cycling the 17miles in with only a quick cuppa and a slice or two of toast at about 6am, I was starving by "Stand Easy" and scoffed one during the 15mins off.
Still had a good lunch as well! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Mick F wrote:We used to get Ron's in the dockyard. They delivered all over the yard including the ships. Hardly a morning went by without my eating one.
Cycling the 17miles in with only a quick cuppa and a slice or two of toast at about 6am, I was starving by "Stand Easy" and scoffed one during the 15mins off.
Still had a good lunch as well! :D

I always thought the ones sold on the ships tasted better than the shop ones, but that was probably my imagination.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The ones we had came on board about 8ish or 9ish and they were piled high on trays.
By the time we scoffed them soon after 10, they'd cooled a bit (some were a bit dented and damaged) and they all had rested and relaxed .......................... and improved by it.

Yum! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I'm a little teapot, short and stout
Pick me up and pour me out :wink:
Went to an exhibition of coffee pots and crockery Tuesday, fascinating, they change over time and reflect social history, some are quite unpractical, queer shapes and colours.
Just got another new interest for retirement
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

We got a new kettle a few weeks ago. It took quite a bit of boiling before the metallic taste disappeared from the tea.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We bought a Dualit kettle some years ago.
Excellent bit of kit.
https://www.dualit.com/products/lite-jug-kettles

Trouble is, after 10years of use, it stopped working. We though about replacing it and were horrified at the price, so didn't.
We were in Morrisons the same day, and they had cheap plastic kettles for sale at £7.15.
We bought one, considering that we could buy TEN of them for the price of only one Dualit! :shock:

No contest.
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I bought the missus a cast-iron Kanji pot a couple of weeks back. She loves it. She only drinks the herbal stuff* so I'm sticking to bags.

*or is that hairball? Smells like it. Nah, I'm being snide, it doesn't smell like hairballs at all.

Just tastes that way.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I love a cup of tea, not weak but not too strong. I've tried making it in a cup but it's never the same as when made in a teapot. We had a stainless steel one for years that went walkabout. We then used a china one but wanted another S/S one. On a visit to the UK my wife got one from a jumble sale for £3. It was black inside and looked really evil. A lot of boiling with soda and scrubbing and it came up like new. Tea tastes much better now :D .
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I was wondering how to get rid of the tannen. My old teapot is rather heavy coated. I am probably tasting the tea I made 5 years or so ago still
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Some of the ladies at work here say my mug is disgusting and needs cleaning. I put it in the dishwasher every night. What remains is seasoning. The mug is not the same if some do-gooder goes and "cleans" it. It takes me weeks to season it properly again. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

To remove the Tannin build up in a Teapot, I have found Sterdent tablets (other brands are available) work

It may require more than one overnight treatment.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

ah didnt know you could get that these days - for false teeth?