Dying for a chance to summit . . . Everest !

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Dying for a chance to summit . . . Everest !

Post by mercalia »

seems like people queue up, like at a bus stop, to get to the top of Everest these days. seems pointless to me ( and dangerous it seems )

everest.JPG

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-48401491
Last edited by Graham on 24 May 2019, 7:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Replacement title - indicating the type of content.
thirdcrank

Re: Whats the Point ?

Post by thirdcrank »

mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so is my local bus stop :lol:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

There is no obvious good reason for cycling, say, from Land's End to John O'Groats and cycling is not without its dangers.
And of course the views are unsurpassable.
I think that the motives of those queueing are various. Other high mountains are not at all crowded, so I guess these people see something worthwhile in being able to say that they have ticked off the highest. They find something significant in the height.
Monro bagging attracts a lot of people too.
It may be there are different answers to the question, why are those on Everest's summit ridge in the picture doing it, and the question, why do climbers do it.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
hondated

Re: Dying for a chance to summit . . . Everest !

Post by hondated »

Question submitted answered
Last edited by hondated on 25 May 2019, 1:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

hondated wrote:
mercalia wrote:seems like people queue up, like at a bus stop, to get to the top of Everest these days. seems pointless to me ( and dangerous it seems )

everest.JPG

How do you know its Everest :?

No buses to everest from here, but the 555 goes to most other places!
pwa

Post by pwa »

Seeing that ridiculous line of people queuing to get to the summit makes it look like a not very impressive stunt getting up there, but what we have to remember is that standing there on that exposed ridge so high up is like standing on a level crossing on a busy rail line, just so dangerous. Those people will be fatigued, suffering from lack of oxygen, and desperate to get back down to safety before the light fails or the weather changes.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

What's the point? You'll only get to the top to find some eejut has parked their car parked 2 wheels up on it.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote:Seeing that ridiculous line of people queuing to get to the summit makes it look like a not very impressive stunt getting up there, but what we have to remember is that standing there on that exposed ridge so high up is like standing on a level crossing on a busy rail line, just so dangerous. Those people will be fatigued, suffering from lack of oxygen, and desperate to get back down to safety before the light fails or the weather changes.

I was with you until the final sentence - it's the case that more often people are killed by their desperation to get to the summit when they should have turned back. Everest suffers from its not only being the tallest, but also being little more than a stiff trek as opposed to a climb. I think it has been wholly devalued as an achievement. Still bloody dangerous to be in the Death Zone, mind.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Bonefishblues wrote:
pwa wrote:Seeing that ridiculous line of people queuing to get to the summit makes it look like a not very impressive stunt getting up there, but what we have to remember is that standing there on that exposed ridge so high up is like standing on a level crossing on a busy rail line, just so dangerous. Those people will be fatigued, suffering from lack of oxygen, and desperate to get back down to safety before the light fails or the weather changes.

I was with you until the final sentence - it's the case that more often people are killed by their desperation to get to the summit when they should have turned back. Everest suffers from its not only being the tallest, but also being little more than a stiff trek as opposed to a climb. I think it has been wholly devalued as an achievement. Still bloody dangerous to be in the Death Zone, mind.

As achievements go it is not a K2, but it is still impressive. You still have to be tough and determined to get up there.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

pwa wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

As achievements go it is not a K2, but it is still impressive. You still have to be tough and determined to get up there.

But if you can do reasonable hills like a decent Munro, and are in good health, you can do Everest. A bigger issue is the price of admission:

http://www.alanarnette.com/blog/2018/12 ... 9-edition/
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Bonefishblues wrote:... it's the case that more often people are killed by their desperation to get to the summit when they should have turned back.

I suspect you're right, but ironically, the radio has just reported a man (56yo Brit?) who died in his tent after turning back from the summit :(

I think it's safe to say that it's a very dangerous journey, even if it lacks technical difficulty.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mattheus wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:... it's the case that more often people are killed by their desperation to get to the summit when they should have turned back.

I suspect you're right, but ironically, the radio has just reported a man (56yo Brit?) who died in his tent after turning back from the summit :(

I think it's safe to say that it's a very dangerous journey, even if it lacks technical difficulty.

That gentleman was Irish, and was still up at 7,000m, even after turning back.

An English climber collapsed 150m below the peak after summiting, too:
Mr Fisher made it to Everest's summit on Saturday morning but collapsed and died only 150m down from the peak, his expedition company confirmed.

It's profoundly dangerous, but made much, much more so by the overcrowding which leads to delays at high altitude, and instills 'summit fever' :(

...and also people spending so much to get there, often with large amounts of sponsorship attached. Perhaps an even higher fee with many fewer licences issued is the way to go?
hondated

Post by hondated »

geocycle wrote:
hondated wrote:
mercalia wrote:seems like people queue up, like at a bus stop, to get to the top of Everest these days. seems pointless to me ( and dangerous it seems )

everest.JPG

How do you know its Everest :?

No buses to everest from here, but the 555 goes to most other places!

Thanks geocycle
Cyril Haearn

Re: Dying for a chance to summit.. Chomolungma

Post by Cyril Haearn »

In the summit cafe on Yr Wyddfa one is as far away from the spirit of a mountain as one would be in the waiting room at Moreton-in-the-Marsh train station, assuming trains still call there
(Showell Styles)
Guess that applies to Chomolungma too

I do wish the media would use 'Chomolungma', not 'Everest'
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies