Dying for a chance to summit . . . Everest !

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
RickH

Re: Dying for a chance to summit . . . Everest !

Post by RickH »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Upgrade to munros + corbetts all in one journey by foot + cycle + ferry, 498 mountains in 13 months by Craig Caldwell, described in his book 'Climb Every Mountain'

Did he "ford every stream" too? :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Yes, he was okay at that, but sadly fell over a cliff whilst following yet another rainbow.
RickH

Post by RickH »

Going back to mountains...

I would like to (but am not that desperate) to go up something big while I still have the ability - maybe a higher, but easier, Alp. Just to experience it. I've been up on the Lake District tops & the various Highland peaks (around Glencoe plus Ben Nevis) in winter so have got some experience of the likely conditions. But I'm no climber, so wouldn't want anything too techncal. I've cycled up to around 10,000ft/3000m in the USA (although I've probably only been to around 8,000ft on foot) so I've some experience of altitude conditions. If I do it, I would probably use a guide or do an organised trip as it is getting beyond the limit of my experience.

As to cycling, I've not yet ridden in the Alps (but have been to the Pyrenees at couple of times). So that remains on my "to do" list if I can fit it in - again while I still have the physical ability. Cycling cols is more within my confidence zone.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Mike Sales wrote:Some Munro baggers live in the south of England and drive up at weekends to climb one or two peaks...
On the other hand Martin Moran bagged the lot in one long winter push using only a bicycle and his feet.

Martin Moran and 7 others missing in Himalayas: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-48484689

:(
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I did the Munro's over a 4 year period when stationed at RAF Leuchars, Mountain Rescue Team ... it was sort of expected .... But i always did the climb and did not count the ones ascended by Wessex, Sea King, or ski lifts ... but i did do them all in winter ... which was nice :D
Involved in mountaineering all my life i have never felt the need to try the big tourist trips in Nepal .... I'm happy bimbling around Scotland and Norway in the winter ..
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Innacessible Pinnacle in winter conditions? Serious.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?